Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ballybeg, New buildings?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Tesco Ballybeg has been with us now for over a year i believe there was also planning to have a medical centre/pharmacy and a credit union and or other buildings a fast food joint or whatever?

When the shop was built the foundation was layed for these extra buildings and gravel layed over this area until futher development started.

I saw someone out measuring up there and on the gravel the other day does anybody know if they will start anything there soon?

Would be nice to see some work happening if only to be defiant in the face of adversity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

From what I hear that Tesco is hemorrhaging money(i have never seen it busy out there)so I wouldn't bank on any further development on the back of their success.

having said that a few extra amenities out that way would seriously help get some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

did you not see the thing in the paper? they didn't build the shop in the right place so the have to knock it and move everything six inches to the left. thats what the meauring was for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

did you not see the thing in the paper? they didn't build the shop in the right place so the have to knock it and move everything six inches to the left. thats what the meauring was for.

do you have a link to that, that sounds interesting, what paper was it in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

ziedth wrote: »
    From what I hear that Tesco is hemorrhaging money(i have never seen it busy out there)so I wouldn't bank on any further development on the back of their success.

having said that a few extra amenities out that way would seriously help get some people.

I reckon if there were a few more things there theyd increase customers, Although i do find alarming the amount of land in the surrounding areas being used by travellers, the field directly accross has a metal scrap dump and horses on it and very often has cars burning out there, the large house is also taken by traveller for their use and several other lands and fields with horses and lots of rubbished dumped, i have heard that these fields have been rented cash in hand, I think if there were more shops to come it would have to be redeveloped and the loose horses and general tip like state of the area sorted, I know a few people might think im being over the top but thats what it looks like, If you were to make it more appealling to future business investment this would have to be taken into account.

Also the person who said it has to be knocked because it was out by 6 inches was i believe you call it taking the urine.

Theres a new road going in there and it seems to be getting redeveloped but the mess needs to be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What is the story with that house? It seems too nice to just have run down for no reason.

• Advertisement

That house was purchased for redevelopment imagine for how much?? ha! well thats what i heard,

I also heard it was purchased by noel frisby from frisby construction but i heard others say it wasnt,

What i can tell you is that its been taken over by the travellers they use it for their horses and the lands around it, seems a shame, they also use the land beside that or connected to that,which is directly accross from the halting site so they have the use of alot of land in that area, Which seems a bit much.

I wouldnt find that attractive as a potential investor in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

That house was purchased for redevelopment imagine for how much?? ha! well thats what i heard,

I also heard it was purchased by noel frisby from frisby construction but i heard others say it wasnt,

What i can tell you is that its been taken over by the travellers they use it for their horses and the lands around it, seems a shame, they also use the land beside that or connected to that,which is directly accross from the halting site so they have the use of alot of land in that area, Which seems a bit much.

I wouldnt find that attractive as a potential investor in the area
    maybe someone is trying to devalue land out there by having said people on that land!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My understanding was always that the house was sold to the travelers by a private individual. Not known in the public eye.

No it wasnt sold to travellers, I think the land is owned by a farmer and he wasnt willing to sell it to frisby who bought alot of land around there, he bought land close up to that point and built the housing estate foxwood, The house is beyond any sort of use now which is a huge shame because the view from the rear is the land fill, just the way the land lies it slopes down toward the land fill and the new road is right up to the house, there are barns and stuff to the rear but again i think the travellers have the use of that aswell.

That would be the biggest obstacle in redeveloping that area as they really seem to have a foothold on that area which is a dangerous thing to allow as people will assume a right from then on.

I dont think the land could be possibly cheaper around there, The halting site will never be moved and therefore the surrounding land will never be evacuated, the land is also used by the travellers behind foxwood for their horses, they have their own key and everything to get into that land its a bit of a joke as it doesnt impact on the people who own that land because they arent there they live elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have never seen it busy but my god have I seen it empty! A few times I turned the corner and I couldnt see any cars in the car park! thought the place was closed.

It sis getting busier and I like shopping there. Even though its at the total opposite side of town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

The shop is actually making a profit despite the number of customers passing through. It can be very quite at times, and suffers a lot while the students are gone.

I think it has a steady turnover, I would however resist making those mark downs and putting them in the cheap section, its great and all to pick up a bargain but a shop of its size is starting to attract people who only come in to pick up those deals the mentality is well why should i buy the food now when i can go later and pay half price for my pork chops.

Its okay for the larger tescos maybe but when your tryin to find your feet dont go marking down too much, some will say thats an incentive to bring shoppers in however some shoppers will say im not buying the stuff when its full price ill go later.

The system automatically reduces stock going out of date. The trick is to only order whet will sell!

You sure?

The staff pick stock out thats soon out of date and scan it and mark it down to a cheaper price and stick it on the cheap shelf section,

Yes but the stock they are to reduce in displayed on the HTT gun they are using to print the yellow labels.

oh right, you must have some experience in this area?

Why is it so that in Tesco Ardkeen they are never reduced to quiet as cheap as the shop in Ballybeg? Anytime ive seen the reduced goods in Ardkeen they arent reduced by much. maybe its cos its 24hour

You not there at the 'right time', fruit and veg goes to 5c/ flowers 20c / Meat + fish 50c meals 50c

Really? I never noticed that, maybe late in the evening? I only get to go there during the day and any time im there they are reduced but not by a great deal.

Advertisement