Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the most respected journalist in Ireland today?

• 22-06-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭

What current Irish journalist do you have most respect for?

Few have covered themselves in glory in recent years and many have glibly accepted the status quo without asking big questions of where Irish society is going.

In my opinion, for all his many faults, and pre madonna interviewing style Vincent Browne is a journalist of integrity and intelligence and challenges much of the accepted wisdom of Irish society in 2012.

What journalist do you admire/respect and why?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Paul Williams*

*The only journo i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Sorry- which journalist are you talking about here ?

I don't know if Joe Duffy is actually a journalist but I would rate him as top when it comes to asking the 'big'questions' and allowing those who otherwise would not be heard, to have a voice.

He also seems to have a zero tolerance for bull****ers which I admire greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Sam Smyth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

CommanderC wrote: »

I don't know if Joe Duffy is actually a journalist but I would rate him as top when it comes to asking the 'big'questions' and allowing those who otherwise would not be heard, to have a voice.

:pac:

I can see the AH lynch mob gathering in the distance :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I agree- I'm a fan of Vincent also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Matt Cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

davet82 wrote: »
    Paul Williams*

*The only journo i know

Thought he was just the garda spokesman :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bill, Eamo, Giles and Brady.

They even have their own thread on the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What Browne did to Cowen in front of the world media will never be forgotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mary Wilson would probably be up there. She's one of the only RTE presenters I can bear to listen to.

What Browne did to Cowen in front of the world media will never be forgotten

what did he do again? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Few have covered themselves in glory in recent years and many have glibly accepted the status quo without asking big questions of where Irish society is going.

In my opinion, for all his many faults, and pre madonna interviewing style Vincent Browne is a journalist of integrity and intelligence and challenges much of the accepted wisdom of Irish society in 2012.

It's true, interview styles did improve once Madonna came on the scene. Like a Virgin was a turning point in journalism.

Oh, and Sam Smyth for my answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Vincent Browne - calls a spade a spade, doesnt prostrate to the so called elites in society, champions the plight of the less well off, and scares the shít out of the Taoiseach of this country. Badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

You mightn't always (often?) agree with him but Kevin Myers usually writes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You mightn't always (often?) agree with him but Kevin Myers usually writes well.

Prepare for imminent attack from members of Continuity Boards.ie / Real Boards.ie / 32 County Soverignty Boards.ie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Duffy is a religious zealot who pushes his own agenda and refuses to budge from his point of view even when he is completely wrong, cant stand the fcuker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I also vote for vincent. Post madonna of course:D

He's nothing but a fúcking troll. You just know full well that even he doesn't believe most of the shíte he spouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

The most respected ones have to be the ones who have quit, at least now we don't have to put up with their drivel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Joe Duffy, like him or loathe him is probable one of the most powerful journalists in the country. The "I'm gonna ring Joe Duffy" threat is taken seriously by a lot of businesses in the country. That said he can be a serious bell end.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

vincent browne is great.
    i cant stand paul williams, hes terribly biased, i cant read anything he writes anymore.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Miriam Lord would get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You can't beat Alison O'Riordan for her take on world-shaping events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You can't beat Alison O'Riordan for her take on world-shaping events.

I miss her insights on the Irish property market, that's for sure.

My vote is none of them. They are all varying degrees of fcuking useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Vincent Browne. He wrote a great piece this week, criticising the media's bizarre obsession with the Michaela McAreavey murder trial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kingtiger wrote: »
    Duffy is a religious zealot who pushes his own agenda and refuses to budge from his point of view even when he is completely wrong, cant stand the fcuker

"My Leapcard works on my Printer" comes to mind...
    Joe Duffy, like him or loathe him is probable one of the most powerful journalists in the country. The "I'm gonna ring Joe Duffy" threat is taken seriously by a lot of businesses in the country. That said he can be a serious bell end.

To be honest, I've never really seen it as a threat. Any products I've supported where it came up, the issue they complained about was clearly laid out in T&Cs. Attempting to leverage with Joe Duffy (or any other media) most of the time is only inviting yourself to be embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Used to think Vinny was great but tbh he has his own biases and axes to grind just like everyone else. His take on the Mick Wallace is annoying and his persistent grudge against Enda Kenny can get tiresome.

Another vote for Matt Cooper here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Gene Kerrigan without a doubt. He's consistently been calling it right for years. If we had more of his type shinging lights into dark corners* that certain people don't want you to see, we'd be a lot better off now IMO.

*Figuratively, not literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Gene Kerrigan without a doubt. He's consistently been calling it right for years. If we had more of his type shinging lights into dark corners* that certain people don't want you to see, we'd be a lot better off now IMO.

*Figuratively, not literally.

Yeah i read him a bit but again he's got his own axes to grind. I've never once read a bit by him where he criticises the unions for example. It gets kinda samey.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Agricola wrote: »
    Vincent Browne - calls a spade a spade, doesnt prostrate to the so called elites in society, champions the plight of the less well off, and scares the shít out of the Taoiseach of this country. Badass.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That man - and fair fcuks to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

paul williams....HA! he is as see through as the thugs he writes about. Pure red top sensationalism at its best. I wouldnt wipe my bum with his articles.

vincent never avoids the hard questions and has to be admired for that.

aslo, away from sport Eamon Dunphy, esp when he was on today fm before matt cooper was brilliant, always fantastically well versed in his daily guests, always came across as a very astute professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

The problem with his journalism and world view is it shows a complete lack of insight into human nature. Its like writing an article advocating world peace , very laudable idea but naive.
    RayM wrote: »
    Vincent Browne. He wrote a great piece this week, criticising the media's bizarre obsession with the Michaela McAreavey murder trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

I'll tell you who I don't like...that weasel Carol Coleman. Banned from the Whitehouse and the cause of a diplomatic rift between Ireland and the USA. The Irish embassy even complained about her and now unsurprisingly her carreer is in the gutter. Call it schadenfreude but I'm delighted. I'll always remember her for announcing how she wanted to "slap President Bush" during an interview. Unprofessional, over-emotional, whingefest. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

As already said really like Matt Cooper. Charlie Weston is also fairly informative. Like Vincent browne, but can't take him seriously on his show, keep seeing Mario Rosenstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I'll tell you who I don't like...that weasel Carol Coleman. Banned from the Whitehouse and the cause of a diplomatic rift between Ireland and the USA. The Irish embassy even complained about her and now unsurprisingly her carreer is in the gutter. Call it schadenfreude but I'm delighted. I'll always remember her for announcing how she wanted to "slap President Bush" during an interview. Unprofessional, over-emotional, whingefest. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I liked her for all the reasons you just said. And 'diplomatic rift' might be a slight exaggeration imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Wow, Paul Williams and Joe Duffy mentioned in this thread :o Williams' articles are poorly written, sensationalist hogwash. Crime 'journalists' of his ilk are generally terrible, nudging and winking about unverifiable conjecture. Williams' appearances on television are like pantomime. Also, his 'award-nominated' (can't recall if it won anything) documentary on Shell2Sea was a pro-corporate hatchet job of the worst sort, pure arse-gravy.

As for Duffy, how is he even a journalist? He's a right-wing (and as noted) religious zealot who pursues his own political agenda, while appealing to the lowest common denominator. He tries to portray himself as on the level of the ordinary person, while on ridiculous money and engaging in the worst sort of sophistry, usually against any sort of progressive person on his show. He's a relic of old Catholic Ireland.

How anyone could even consider these jokers, who defer to power at all times, to someone like Vincent Browne, who not only scares our political establishment but has greatly enhanced the breadth of political debate in this country, is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Kevin Myers...

Anna Scott has left the building...

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

i like vincent browne insofar as he has no stars in his eyes for powerfull people , on the contary , he delights in showing contempt for them but the man is a far left idealogue and without an ounce of balance when it comes to matters of economics

ireland is not well stocked with quality journalists , i cant think of any that stand out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fintan o toole followed by matt cooper

joe duffy has zero tollerance for bull****ers :eek:

this post deserves its own awards

the first anual irony awards of excellence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ken Early.

kingtiger wrote: »

JD is not a zealot , he is inherently populist of the bertie aherne school of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

David me kirktric,
    David adams,
    Vincent brown,
    Keven myers,
    Eamon dunphy,

Amanda brunker :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Why is Joe Duffy on this thread?

The man who didn't care about headshops when they were in the inner city but as soon as they hit leafy Clontarf he gave whole shows to it. Just won't do, not in a nice area like that
    The man has power and his campaign whipped up a storm

Yet he'll chat to Joe's little people, the salt of the earth Dubs who sell smuggled cigarettes from market stalls and sure aren't they only putting food on their table and struggling to earn some coin.
    The smuggled stock from Eastern Europe are da illegals and the dodgy knock-offs from China are da illegal illegals

No harm, honest working folk unlike those who run headshops

And when RTÉ turn to Dublin local radio anyway

Back ontopic, Matt Cooper is the best

I liked her for all the reasons you just said. And 'diplomatic rift' might be a slight exaggeration imo.

You liked her because she let her own emotions get in the way of professionalism and announced she wanted to slap a foreign head of state?

She didn't know how to conduct an interview. Only to ramble on and soapbox to stroke her own ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You liked her because she let her own emotions get in the way of professionalism and announced she wanted to slap a foreign head of state?

She didn't know how to conduct an interview. Only to ramble on and soapbox to stroke her own ego.

She asked Bush the kind of questions that people more cerebral and less right-wing than you (i.e. the vast majority of people) wanted him to answer. When he attempted to dodge those questions and did that imbecilic smirk thing that usually worked for him in those awkward situations, she continued pressing him for an answer. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Kevin Myers when he is speaking up for the indigenous Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

bee_keeper wrote: »
    joe duffy has zero tollerance for bull****ers :eek:

this post deserves its own awards

the first anual irony awards of excellence

I got a good laugh out of that one too!:)

RayM wrote: »
    She asked Bush the kind of questions that people more cerebral and less right-wing than you (i.e. the vast majority of people) wanted him to answer. When he attempted to dodge those questions and did that imbecilic smirk thing that usually worked for him in those awkward situations, she continued pressing him for an answer. Nothing wrong with that.

Then why did the US embassy make an official complaint?
    Why did Bush personally bring this up with Bertie at a sunsequent meeting?
    Why did the Irish embassy even make a complaint to RTÉ?
    Why does Carol Coleman have no carreer now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I would have put VB up there, but after hearing him being interviewed by George Hook about the Wallace debacle... oh dearie, he's just as bad as most of them.

Matt's the man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement