Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the most respected journalist in Ireland today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Matt Cooper is very likeable on the radio but I sometimes find him a bit lightweight. His colum in The Sunday Times is often very wide of the mark too.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Wow, Paul Williams and Joe Duffy mentioned in this thread :o Williams' articles are poorly written, sensationalist hogwash. Crime 'journalists' of his ilk are generally terrible, nudging and winking about unverifiable conjecture.

Giving stupid monikers to scumbags since 1992.

Paul "The Bollix" Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Matt Cooper is very likeable on the radio but I sometimes find him a bit lightweight. His colum in The Sunday Times is often very wide of the mark too.

He's getting more populist and tabloid on the radio show as well, his recent stance calling for widespread mortgage debt forgiveness being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Agricola wrote: »
    Vincent Browne - calls a spade a spade, doesnt prostrate to the so called elites in society, champions the plight of the less well off, and scares the shít out of the Taoiseach of this country. Badass.
    Yes its so easy to " champion the plight of the less well off" when you are living in Dalkey . Exactly how many businesses that he was running went bust? And as to his ' Frankenstein of Politics ' , Mick wallace ? Oh yes we have a lot to thank Vincent Browne for !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'll tell you who I don't like...that weasel Carol Coleman. Banned from the Whitehouse and the cause of a diplomatic rift between Ireland and the USA. The Irish embassy even complained about her and now unsurprisingly her carreer is in the gutter. Call it schadenfreude but I'm delighted. I'll always remember her for announcing how she wanted to "slap President Bush" during an interview. Unprofessional, over-emotional, whingefest. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

What kind of upside-down and back-to-front reality do you live in?

You're upset that a man at the head of a cabal responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people gets bitch slapped by a journalist?

**** him and everyone who ever had anything to do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Although not as prolific as she used to be, Nell McCafferty is really in a class of her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Eamon Dunphy is hardly a "journalist"?

Niamh Horan, Barry Egan and Roy Curtis must be the top 3. :D

Yes its so easy to " champion the plight of the less well off" when you are living in Dalkey . Exactly how many businesses that he was running went bust? And as to his ' Frankenstein of Politics ' , Mick wallace ? Oh yes we have a lot to thank Vincent Browne for !!

The fact that he lost his shirt trying to publish magazines that were not driven by rabid pro business sentiment or controlled by Sir Anthony or News Corp is a plus in my book.

Also he was forced to sell his house to the best of my knowledge.

I'm unaware of his stance on Mick Wallace but I enjoy when he points out the hypocrisy of some the stances taken by the most vocal critics of many wrongdoers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Then why did the US embassy make an official complaint?

Because they were used to a compliant media which had been cowed into submission after the 9/11 attacks. Anyway, they can complain all they want, it shouldn't affect how a journalist does her job.
    Why did Bush personally bring this up with Bertie at a sunsequent meeting?

He's an idiot, is the short answer. See above, not used to being forced to answer the difficult questions.
    Why did the Irish embassy even make a complaint to RTÉ?

No idea, but they shouldn't have. Do you think governments should interfere with press freedom?
    Why does Carol Coleman have no carreer now?

As I said on the other thread you raised this on (before you called Carol Coleman a bitch and ran off), she is freelancing in the United States now, where she lives, and has written two books. She has a career.

• Advertisement

Back on topic, I'd have more time for Vincent Browne and Gene Kerrigan than most. To be honest, most younger journalists are so worried about their livelihoods now that it is difficult for them to step out of line.

The worst would be the entire staff of the Sunday Independent (bar Kerrigan), and Stephen Collins of the Irish Times. For the chief political correspondent of the "paper of record", he comes across as a hack of the worst sort - effectively advancing whatever line the government of the day wants to get across. His contempt for the opinion of anyone who isn't a political insider is apparent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    As I said on the other thread you raised this on (before you called Carol Coleman a bitch and ran off), she is freelancing in the United States now, where she lives, and has written two books. She has a career.

Lies. If you actually read the thread I answered all questions put to me. In fact, you exited the thread before I did.
    "Freelancing" = nobody will hire her. RTÉ couldn't handle an unprofessinal loose cannon like her so they let her go. Unsurprisingly, no other network wanted to take on a liabilty like her.

You keep mentioning that the US media were upset as they're used to compliant, soft interviewers. Then why did the Irish embassy complain? Stop trying to portray that only Americans were pissed off. Anybody who demands that journalists should uphold some basic integrity were angered by her childish "I wanted to slap him" remark.

Can anybody name her books without googling? Didn't think so. They were flops. She wrote about her stint as RTÉ's Washington correspondent. Complete ego-stroking, self-important wankfest. As if people are that deeply interested in her mundane life. Her infamous interview with Bush brought her 15mins of fame and she has been trying to squeeze a living from it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

anyone writing for the sunday indo.....

as regards journalists writing for real papers i rate Pat Leahy of the sunday business post highly.

Lies. If you actually read the thread I answered all questions put to me. In fact, you exited the thread before I did.
    Actually,I'm still waiting for your answer as to how you can accuse someone of being disrespectful and then calling that same person a bitch. You never responded.
    You keep mentioning that the US media were upset as they're used to compliant, soft interviewers. Then why did the Irish embassy complain? Stop trying to portray that only Americans were pissed off. Anybody who demands that journalists should uphold some basic integrity were angered by her childish "I wanted to slap him" remark.

She was describing her personal feelings at the time in an interview given to the Sunday Times some time later. How does being honest undermine her integrity? As for the Irish embassy, I'd imagine they complained for much the same reason we let rendition flights land at Shannon - don't upset the American government at any cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Actually,I'm still waiting for your answer as to how you can accuse someone of being disrespectful and then calling that same person a bitch. You never responded.

Respect is earned. She made a show of Ireland and caused a diplomatic rift between Ireland and one of our closest allies, the USA. America has done so much for Ireland: our economy is only afloat at the moment because of their mulitnationals providing us with jobs. We don't need fame seekers like Coleman putting that valuable relationship in jeopardy. Ironically, she is now lving in the US, the country she constantly whinged about :rolleyes: Hypocrite. And I repeat, since you tactfully breezed over it: "Freelancing" = nobody will hire her. RTÉ couldn't handle an unprofessinal loose cannon like her so they let her go. Unsurprisingly, no other network wanted to take on a liabilty like her.
    She was describing her personal feelings at the time in an interview given to the Sunday Times some time later. How does being honest undermine her integrity? As for the Irish embassy, I'd imagine they complained for much the same reason we let rendition flights land at Shannon - don't upset the American government at any cost.

What if Pat Kenny came out and announced "I wanted to bate the head off Enda Kenny". He would rightfully be criticised for being unprofessional. A journalist should have some class and uphold the integrity of the profession (the little it has left). I can't understand how you can defend her outrageous, violent remark

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

No one journalist really jumps out as being our Paxman but Browne can be brilliant at times. But his moments of greatness are weighed down by the likes of how he handled the Wallace scandal.

I like Richard Crowley he gives a tough interview in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

IMO, contenders would be:

John Waters
    David McWilliams
    Fintan O'Toole
    Vincent Browne
    Aine Lawlor
    Miles Dungan ( now a radio show presenter )

And special mention to economist Morgan Kelly whose occasional articles in the IT have been excellent.

To choose one - Fintan O'Toole.

Respect is earned. She made a show of Ireland and caused a diplomatic rift between Ireland and one of our closest allies, the USA. America has done so much for Ireland: our economy is only afloat at the moment because of their mulitnationals providing us with jobs. We don't need fame seekers like Coleman putting that valuable relationship in jeopardy. Ironically, she is now lving in the US, the country she constantly whinged about :rolleyes: Hypocrite. And I repeat, since you tactfully breezed over it: "Freelancing" = nobody will hire her. RTÉ couldn't handle an unprofessinal loose cannon like her so they let her go. Unsurprisingly, no other network wanted to take on a liabilty like her.

She left RTE in early 2005 - her time in America was up and she didn't want to return home as she married an American. RTE didn't let her go - since when have RTE ever let any correspondent or presenter go - they employ Craig Doyle FFS! As to what she's been doing since then, I know as much as you. Freelancing, wrote two books. People move into different areas of work, or even leave their jobs to start a family all the time.

By the way, American multinationals are here for the corporation tax rate, not because of fawning interviews. You go on about journalistic integrity yet you are suggesting that interviews should be carried out on the basis of commercial interests? And George W. Bush <> America by the way - what makes you think she hates America?
    What if Pat Kenny came out and announced "I wanted to bate the head off Enda Kenny". He would rightfully be criticised for being unprofessional. A journalist should have some class and uphold the integrity of the profession (the little it has left). I can't understand how you can defend her outrageous, violent remark

If he had left RTE at the time he made the statement (as Carol Coleman had), it would be fair comment. Whether you happen to agree with it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Any love for Ian O'Doherty yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I used to like Tom Humphries' writing before the, erm, 'unpleasantness'.

Fintan O'Toole is very good.
    As for international journalists: Robert Fisk is as good as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Any love for Ian O'Doherty yet?

No.

Also, for those who haven't seen it (and to wind up some people here :D):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

The Good: Fintan O'Toole, Vincent Browne, Matt Cooper, Justine McCarthy, Mick Clifford, Pat Leahy, Miriam Lord, David Murphy, David McCullagh

The Bad: Eoghan Harris, Anne Harris, John Waters, Kevin Myers, Jody Corcoran, Bruce Arnold

The Ugly: Brendan O'Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Justine McCarthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Here is Vincent Browne taking on the Troka at a press conference. Brilliant stuff.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vo6VzQddi0

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

@SMASH THE UNIONS (all capitals! I mean business!):

U.S. companies are here because of the favourable corporation tax rate, not because they hold some deep-seated love for the country. A journalist getting a bit pissy with a warlord on Irish tv didn't and wouldn't have jeopardised that "valuable relationship" as you put it.

Increasing the corporate tax rate would've, but not an interview. But if you want to continue with the hyperbole then have at it.

Edit: another thing: freelancing doesn't necessarily mean no one will hire her. She may be a freelancer by choice. But again, don't let small facts like that get in the way of another ill-informed rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

If this is a poll, I'm going to say Ronnie O'Brien. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

There's essentially three categories of journalists for me. The ones I hate, the ones I tolerate and the ones I know nothing about.

On areas I'm passionate about I don't like opinionated pieces since I perfer to form my own views. On areas I'm not passionate on I wouldn't pay much notice to the author since I'm not a regular reader of their area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Rocket_Man wrote: »
    The Good: Fintan O'Toole, Vincent Browne, Matt Cooper, Justine McCarthy, Mick Clifford, Pat Leahy, Miriam Lord, David Murphy, David McCullagh

The Bad: Eoghan Harris, Anne Harris, John Waters, Kevin Myers, Jody Corcoran, Bruce Arnold

You've got Mick Clifford in the wrong list. He could go in either or both of the other ones. :D

Apart from that, I'd give you a thumbs up.

Rocket_Man wrote: »

You've got Mick Clifford in the wrong list. He could go in either or both of the other ones. :D

Apart from that, I'd give you a thumbs up.

That list is pretty on the money - I thought Mick Clifford was pretty decent when he was at the Tribune, but at Newstalk, not so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Fr. Brian Darcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

They is none left in this country. I have read posters on boards that are better then them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

vincent browne,i rise a six most weekday mornings but never miss him

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

journalism in ireland lacks diversity , its disproportionatley lobsided to the left

where is our peter hitchens , doesnt even need to be a social conservative , i cant think of one irish journalist who is euro sceptic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bee_keeper wrote: »
    journalism in ireland lacks diversity , its disproportionatley lobsided to the left

where is our peter hitchens , doesnt even need to be a social conservative , i cant think of one irish journalist who is euro sceptic

"Left"??

You don't read much - unless promoting talented wannabes, demanding the death-sentence for every pettry crime under the sun and usign fear and propoganda as control tools have suddenly become left wing characterists.

Don't know much abotu hitchens, but a quick glance would indicate that we have Joe Duffy covering that angle?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    "Left"??

You don't read much - unless promoting talented wannabes, demanding the death-sentence for every pettry crime under the sun and usign fear and propoganda as control tools have suddenly become left wing characterists.

Don't know much abotu hitchens, but a quick glance would indicate that we have Joe Duffy covering that angle?

i dont really consider joe duffy to be a journalist or at least not a serious one , hes a DJ

funny , i read quite a bit but i dont know any journalists who are pro death penalty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'll tell you who I don't like...that weasel Carol Coleman. Banned from the Whitehouse and the cause of a diplomatic rift between Ireland and the USA. The Irish embassy even complained about her and now unsurprisingly her carreer is in the gutter. Call it schadenfreude but I'm delighted. I'll always remember her for announcing how she wanted to "slap President Bush" during an interview. Unprofessional, over-emotional, whingefest. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

What the ****? Bush was a ****ing scumbag who got away with an awful lot of bull**** which cost thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of deaths and lied through his ****ing teeth in the process.

Maybe her approach was naive in the interview with Bush, but fair play to her for trying, anyone else would have just talked pleasantries and ducked out on the major points of contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

i dont really consider joe duffy to be a journalist or at least not a serious one , hes a DJ

funny , i read quite a bit but i dont know any journalists who are pro death penalty

Most tabloids usually have a strong capital punishment stance. Murderers, paedophiles - if someoen gets life inprisonment, it's usually not enough.

What do you read and in what way would yo ucall them left?

Most tabloids usually have a strong capital punishment stance. Murderers, paedophiles - if someoen gets life inprisonment, it's usually not enough.

What do you read and in what way would yo ucall them left?

i dont read the tabloids like the star or the sun or even the sunday world , couldnt name a single writer - hack at any of those stables

most promintent irish journalists take a social democratic , pro europe , pro statist position

i dont read the tabloids like the star or the sun or even the sunday world , couldnt name a single writer - hack at any of those stables

most promintent irish journalists take a social democratic , pro europe , pro statist position

In other words, you read proper, intelligent, newsapers, but want a right-wing conservatist stance...? not sure the two co-inside, to be honest.

It would depend, though, on how you define the terms you list and what viewpoints you would like to see to balance it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I would be if i could write articles from deep in a silo in an extinct volcano somewhere in the swiss alps .I'd be respected....but that's all .

• Advertisement

In other words, you read proper, intelligent, newsapers, but want a right-wing conservatist stance...? not sure the two co-inside, to be honest.

It would depend, though, on how you define the terms you list and what viewpoints you would like to see to balance it.

all i said was irish journalism lacks diversity , since when is being euro sceptic associated exclusivley with the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am I the only one who thinks the majority, not all, of journalists are just ... well ... as*holes when it comes down to it.

The reason why I believe that is:

- Trying to spin stories. Rather than letting the facts speak for themselves and letting the reader decide. They would often 'edit' in favor of one side/view
    - Choosing what to and what not to report on due to political influences, being biast (etc).

Am I the only one who thinks the majority, not all, of journalists are just ... well ... as*holes when it comes down to it.

The reason why I believe that is:

- Trying to spin stories. Rather than letting the facts speak for themselves and letting the reader decide. They would often 'edit' in favor of one side/view
    - Choosing what to and what not to report on due to political influences, being biast (etc).

your not far wrong , most opinionated people are a-holes

your not far wrong , most opinionated people are a-holes

i'm slow tonight. you calling me an a-hole? :confused:

*pulls weapon out* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Jagdip Singh.

i'm slow tonight. you calling me an a-hole? :confused:

*pulls weapon out* :pac:

you are slow tonite

was refering to journalists

• Advertisement

you are slow tonite

was refering to journalists

Good

*puts down axe*
    :pac:

There are right wing journalists in Ireland and in Europe. Calling for the reintroduction of the death penalty in an Irish or European context would simply be unacceptable in almost all aspects of Irish journalism apart from some unsavory semi neo nazi websites and the handouts of the more extreme undergraduate "pro life" brigade. (And yes the irony is very much intended).

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    There are right wing journalists in Ireland and in Europe. Calling for the reintroduction of the death penalty in an Irish or European context would simply be unacceptable in almost all aspects of Irish journalism apart from some unsavory semi neo nazi websites and the handouts of the more extreme undergraduate "pro life" brigade. (And yes the irony is very much intended).

im refering to irish journalism and mainstream journalism , not fringe websites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eamonn McCann and Shane Ross are good, wouldn't agree with their respective politics but both good journalists.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

im refering to irish journalism and mainstream journalism , not fringe websites

Well then I just can't see anyone advocating that. It would be like a journalist advocating the recriminalisation of homosexuality. It is simply not going to happen because we have moved on.

David Quinn in the Indo could well be genuinely supportive of both but writing in favour of either with put him beyond the realm of mainstream Irish journalism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement