Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the most respected journalist in Ireland today?

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Well then I just can't see anyone advocating that. It would be like a journalist advocating the recriminalisation of homosexuality. It is simply not going to happen because we have moved on.

David Quinn in the Indo could well be genuinely supportive of both but writing in favour of either with put him beyond the realm of mainstream Irish journalism.

i didnt bring up the issue of the death penalty so im not sure why your pointing this out to me

i said thier was an imbalance in irish journalism , one way is the lack of euro scepticism

Karen Coleman. Although her Newstalk show 'The Wide Angle' doesn't seem to be on anymore. :(

Karen Coleman. Although her Newstalk show 'The Wide Angle' doesn't seem to be on anymore. :(

another lefty to add to the long list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think that RTE's Sean Whelan is a very good Economics Correspondent and Europe Editor in the past.

Vincent Browne is good on his facts too. Although his shows can be quite poor at times especially last Mondays programme. I couldn't understand a word of what was going on in that studio for that night.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/41/49868/1/Tonight-with-Vincent-Browne

Also, RTE's Richard Downes does his job as Washington Correspondent very well. He has plenty of great integrity and detail in his work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

bee_keeper wrote: »
    i didnt bring up the issue of the death penalty so im not sure why your pointing this out to me

i said thier was an imbalance in irish journalism , one way is the lack of euro scepticism

You asked why no journalists were pro death penalty.

funny , i read quite a bit but i dont know any journalists who are pro death penalty

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

You asked why no journalists were pro death penalty.

thats some nice editing you have there

read the previous page and its pretty clear i wasnt the one who brought up the death penalty , i queried the point of bringing it up however

ickey poo brought it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

thats some nice editing you have there

read the previous page and its pretty clear i wasnt the one who brought up the death penalty , i queried the point of bringing it up however

ickey poo brought it up

You are right. It proves the point that journalists can say what they want but editors hold the power. ;)

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

You are right. It proves the point that journalists can say what they want but editors hold the power. ;)

all i know is my eyes dont lie to me and just to be sure , i re-read the last few pages of this thread ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

suitseir wrote: »
    Justine McCarthy

Unnecessarily aggressive. Reallly can't stand her. Awful awful.

Calling for the reintroduction of the death penalty in an Irish or European context would simply be unacceptable in almost all aspects of Irish journalism apart from some unsavory ..handouts of the more extreme undergraduate "pro life" brigade.

I hate drifting off-topic but this is pure ill-informed prejudice. There is not one pro-life organisation in Ireland or even the UK that advocates the death penalty. Absolute slander infact. You should retract that for your own integrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Henry McDonald - Ireland correspondent for the guardian. Definitely the best take on all the northern ireland issues.

Ed Moloney is great too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Fintan O'Toole would be someone I'd have a lot of time for. I know Kevin Myers spouts drivvle but he is fierce entertaining as long as you don't take him seriously.

Someone mentioned a Vincent Browne article criticising the coverage of the Michael McAreavey trial. He wasn't doing that; he was comparing it with the coverage of another innocent young woman's murder within a day of it. He was critisicing the lack of coverage of the latter. I like Vincent Browne too. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0620/1224318256686.html

I really am fond of Fintan though. I like the style of his writing. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0501/1224315407633.html

Can't read the Indo anymore since it went all tabloidy. What's the deal with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Eamo' Dunphy and George Hook. Complete sh1te out of both of them at times but great value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Eamo' Dunphy and George Hook. Complete sh1te out of both of them at times but great value :)

agreed. Eamo' is the best in the country without a shadow of a doubt! Ledge

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

amanda brunker and bertie for the win!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Kevin Myers - writes about the double standards in Ireland.

robp wrote: »
    Unnecessarily aggressive. Reallly can't stand her. Awful awful.

her entire career has been built on feminist politics which she fused with journalism

fine looking woman , once sat beside her in a hospital waiting room

FishBowel wrote: »
    Kevin Myers - writes about the double standards in Ireland.

myers relegates himself through his fanatical anti 1916 obsession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

ror_74 wrote: »
    IMO, contenders would be:

John Waters
    David McWilliams
    Fintan O'Toole
    Vincent Browne
    Aine Lawlor
    Miles Dungan ( now a radio show presenter )

And special mention to economist Morgan Kelly whose occasional articles in the IT have been excellent.

To choose one - Fintan O'Toole.
    Firstly, I consider most Irish Journalists to be god awful. But if I were to choose one that epitomises how a journalist with little to no ability inexplicably rises to the top of the journalistic field for Ireland. It would be John Waters, the man writes the most absurd articles while doing little to no research and merely basing everything he says on his rather eccentric opinion. I still don't understand how he has a job. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

another lefty to add to the long list

You seem to have something against liberalism. Care to elaborate?
    all i said was irish journalism lacks diversity , since when is being euro sceptic associated exclusivley with the right

You didn't answer my point, you just made a few vague statements. What do you mean by "social democracy", "euro-skeptic" and "pro-statist"? They're pretty vague terms.

What viewpoints would you like to see presented, that aren't?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Firstly, I consider most Irish Journalists to be god awful. But if I were to choose one that epitomises how a journalist with little to no ability inexplicably rises to the top of the journalistic field for Ireland. It would be John Waters, the man writes the most absurd articles while doing little to no research and merely basing everything he says on his rather eccentric opinion. I still don't understand how he has a job. :pac:

For me John Waters is really a writer rather than a Journalists. His style is well suited for writing more than newspapers. He is good at that format.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Even though, unfortunately, she is no longer with us, I think Mary Raftery has to be mentioned here.

A remarkable journalist who deserves the gratitude, of everyone in this country,for the work she did in exposing the brutal abuse inflicted on children in institutions.

Rocket_Man wrote: »
    Even though, unfortunately, she is no longer with us, I think Mary Raftery has to be mentioned here.

A remarkable journalist who deserves the gratitude, of everyone in this country,for the work she did in exposing the brutal abuse inflicted on children in institutions.

i lost a little respect for her due to her fairly recent docu on mental institutions which was a complete whitewash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

@SMASH THE UNIONS (all capitals! I mean business!):

hehe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    Kevin Myers when he is speaking up for the indigenous Irish people.

Yes, I can imagine Lord Myers of Sir Anthony's domain speaking up for Aodh Rua and Aodh Mór at the Battle of Kinsale as Lord Mountjoy and Lord Carew approach.
    Or outside the GPO in 1916, My dear General Maxwell, please allow these brave Irish heroes, Pádraig and Seán, to continue overthrowing your colonial régime....

Although not as prolific as she used to be, Nell McCafferty is really in a class of her own.

Yes, and we can safely say any class attended by Nell McCafferty will never be live on the radio again.*

*Although I do admire her for costing that oligarch Denis O'Brien money.

Investigative journalism is all but dead in Ireland. Most of the "journalists" mentioned above are not investigative journalists and are merely what could politely be described as shítehawks of the highest order. They are mere "commentators". People who get paid for waffling.

Anything - anything - which appears in Independent Newspapers under the guise of investigative journalism has an ulterior motive which is invariably tied up with the many other financial interests of that longstanding media oligarch Sir Anthony O'Reilly. This was most clearly shown in the past couple of years when, following Enterprise Ireland's rejection of state funding for O'Reilly's Waterford Wedgwood, Sunday Independent "journalists" such as Shane Ross began "investigations" into expenses at Enterprise Ireland.

The sooner Independent Newspapers dies the better Irish society and democracy will be. It's a truly horrible, horrible media group which is dominated by people who have far too much power in Irish society, and selfish financial interests in pursuing those interests at the expense of a free press in this democracy. The fact that so few no (Frank Connolly possibly being the exception) Irish journalist has stood up and criticised O'Reilly's stranglehold for the past few decades testifies to his dominance: with the exception of RTÉ and The Irish Times, you will not get a job without being sycophantic about O'Reilly (and now his heir O'Brien).

Indeed, should you criticise Tony O'Reilly, expect his minions in Independent Newspapers to defame and slander you to your grave in the snidest ways imaginable, and have massive legal resources to make it impossible for you to financially sustain a case in court. This is what has been happening to Frank Connolly now for some years.

Of real - i.e. investigative - journalists the following have stood out in the past 30 years:

Mary Raftery: Her 'States of Fear' investigation on RTÉ in 1998 was a watershed in the Irish public's and Irish state's relationship with the Roman Catholic Church.

Fintan O'Toole: His coverage and subsequent book on the enormous scandal investigated by the Beef Tribunal was groundbreaking. Particular mention here should be made for two other journalists who broke this story before O'Toole followed it up and publicised it widely: Susan O'Keefe, then working for World in Action and RTÉ's Joe Murray whose career never recovered following his revelation of corruption at Larry Goodman companies (who were financially supporting Fianna Fáil leaders, who controlled RTÉ, while defrauding the Irish state of millions).

Charlie Bird & George Lee: These two were chiefly responsible for uncovering the National Irish Bank overcharging scandal which ultimately exposed bank practices and brought down one Beverley Cooper Flynn.

Frank Connolly: Not a single mention for this man. It was Frank Connolly who arguably got the Irish media scoop of the century when he followed up an advertisement in The Irish Times in 1995 which said "information leading to the conviction or indictment of a person or persons for offences relating to land rezoning in the Republic of Ireland". From that, he was introduced to one James Gogarty and from that we all found out about rampant corruption in planning - Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor and the rest.

It is no coincidence that when Chuck Feeney (a man much richer than O'Reilly) wanted to finance an organisation to investigate matters of public interest, he appointed Frank Connolly to head it. It is also no coincidence that Irish oligarchs like Tony O'Reilly and rightwing politicians like Michael McDowell did all in their power to stop it. Ultimately, it was Michael McDowell as Minister for Justice in this state who leaked a story about Frank Connolly to O'Reilly's Sunday Independent which toppled Feeney's Centre for Public Inquiry.

Imagine the threat a well-funded Centre for Public Inquiry, with investigative journalists who didn't depend on O'Reilly's media, could pose to the dominance of Tony O'Reilly in Irish society. That would be revolutionary. Such an organisation, for O'Reilly, had to be closed. And still Irish people financially support O'Reilly by buying the low-brow trash that are his newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

Seanchai wrote: »
    Investigative journalism is all but dead in Ireland. Most of the "journalists" mentioned above are not investigative journalists and are merely what could politely be described as shítehawks of the highest order. They are mere "commentators". People who get paid for waffling.

Anything - anything - which appears in Independent Newspapers under the guise of investigative journalism has an ulterior motive which is invariably tied up with the many other financial interests of that longstanding media oligarch Sir Anthony O'Reilly. This was most clearly shown in the past couple of years when, following Enterprise Ireland's rejection of state funding for O'Reilly's Waterford Wedgwood, Sunday Independent "journalists" such as Shane Ross began "investigations" into expenses at Enterprise Ireland.

The sooner Independent Newspapers dies the better Irish society and democracy will be. It's a truly horrible, horrible media group which is dominated by people who have far too much power in Irish society, and selfish financial interests in pursuing those interests at the expense of a free press in this democracy. The fact that so few no (Frank Connolly possibly being the exception) Irish journalist has stood up and criticised O'Reilly's stranglehold for the past few decades testifies to his dominance: with the exception of RTÉ and The Irish Times, you will not get a job without being sycophantic about O'Reilly (and now his heir O'Brien).

Indeed, should you criticise Tony O'Reilly, expect his minions in Independent Newspapers to defame and slander you to your grave in the snidest ways imaginable, and have massive legal resources to make it impossible for you to financially sustain a case in court. This is what has been happening to Frank Connolly now for some years.

do you think shane ross had an ulterior motive when he exposed the massive level of taxpayer riding at FAS ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Joe Duffy, like him or loathe him is probable one of the most powerful journalists in the country. The "I'm gonna ring Joe Duffy" threat is taken seriously by a lot of businesses in the country. That said he can be a serious bell end.
    That says more about the listeners than about him.

Journalism is not about rabble rousing. It's not about proposing a divisive topic for the Nth time.

"Journalism is the stuff that people don't want you to know," according to Editor Jake Bernstein. "Everything else is public relations."

Our liable laws prevent a lot of journalism. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eamon Dunphy is hardly a "journalist"?
    The NUJ have stood up for him in the past :(

The phrase 'Hack for hire' might not have been far from the mark back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Any of the Off the Ball boys on Newstalk are very good. Tailor-made for when Bill, Gilesy, Liam and Eamon eventually retire.

do you think shane ross had an ulterior motive when he exposed the massive level of taxpayer riding at FAS ?

Most certainly. If O'Reilly owned FÁS, we can be sure nothing would be published. It was Ross, after all, who was one of the most vociferous "journalists" talking down Eircom. That was of course until the share price became so low that his boss Sir Anthony O'Reilly rode in and snapped it up at a bargain. Ross quickly became very quiet about Eircom, except to talk up the share price until the great Sir Anthony sold it off at a nice profit!

It will only be after O'Reilly's power is gone that the true cowardice of Irish journalists and politicians who never questioned the abuses endemic to his dominance will be appreciated. Journalists don't have to look at the Roman Catholic Church to find people doing nothing in the face of abuses by powerful people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Miriam Lord is a very clever journalist, her Dáil Sketches are bang on the mark.

Seanchai wrote: »
    Most certainly. If O'Reilly owned FÁS, we can be sure nothing would be published. It was Ross, after all, who was one of the most vociferous "journalists" talking down Eircom. That was of course until the share price became so low that his boss Sir Anthony O'Reilly rode in and snapped it up at a bargain. Ross quickly became very quiet about Eircom, except to talk up the share price until the great Sir Anthony sold it off at a nice profit!

It will only be after O'Reilly's power is gone that the true cowardice of Irish journalists and politicians who never questioned the abuses endemic to his dominance will be appreciated. Journalists don't have to look at the Roman Catholic Church to find people doing nothing in the face of abuses by powerful people.

i dont know , i think the exposure of the goings on at FAS was extremley important

Advertisement