Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin McGuinness to meet Britain's queen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Stinicker wrote: »
    I was pretty sure Marty Mc was going to do something like this.

I couldn't help recalling that scene when I saw the video. :D I'd love to have a pint with the man and hear the human story behind the lead up and the actual act. Her as well. Behind all of these things are human beings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'd love to have a pint with the man and hear the human story behind the lead up and the actual act. Her as well. Behind all of these things are human beings.

Are you talking about Martin McGuinness or Mr. Bean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I was with someone who had the power to direct and continue to do so. I realised after time that it was pointless and it would lead to not more than completely unnecessary aggro. I knew at that stage that it was time to let go because harbouring thoughts of revenge served nothing more than continuing something that I truly knew, needed to be let go. That didn't happened until I met said individual in a pub many moons later. It wasn't until that happened that I realised I could actually move on from the past!

Are you talking about Martin McGuinness or Mr. Bean?

Could you arrange both? :D And Lizzie as well! Sherry's on me!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Parodies are in overdrive 539735_10151226326354745_1872582530_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did Phil have any hilarious contribution to the proceedings?

Did Phil have any hilarious contribution to the proceedings?

I would say he would have been censored just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

@frankieboyle: Hope Martin McGuinness shakes hands with the Queen with a jokeshop buzzer. Nothing breaks the tension like an old woman ****ting her pants.
    @frankieboyle: Hats off to Martin McGuinness, I always find it difficult to make smalltalk with old folk, especially when I've blown up their cousin.

She may have countered - How would you feel about another few Bloody Sundays to thin out the ranks of those Londonderry dole queues?

(if the quoted comment doesn't deserve infraction neither does mine - a young Fermanagh boy Paul Maxwell 15 was blown to pieces at Mullaghmore).

She may have countered - How would you feel about another few Bloody Sundays to thin out the ranks of those Londonderry dole queues?

(if the quoted comment doesn't deserve infraction neither does mine - a young Fermanagh boy Paul Maxwell 15 was blown to pieces at Mullaghmore).

Only loyalists live in Londonderry, so tell her to knock herself out! :D

Only loyalists live in Londonderry, so tell her to knock herself out! :D

Londonderry part of the Kingdom baby.
    Only one currency taken there. ;)
    In fairness I have to congratulate both parties for meeting today.
    Taken on its own merits it can be for the good. :)

• Advertisement

Get with the Agreement, Nationalists live in Derry. You have come a long way today, a bit more to go!
    ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Sometimes it's better to say nothing and let the world think you're a bigot than to open your mouth and prove it.

I've never been to Londonderry but I know that many shops in Derry accept Euros.
    Your comment was out of line and no, mine was quoting a comedian. If you read the thread that would have been obvious and you could have saved yourself any embarrassment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Fair play McGuinness, I know a lot of people were hoping he wouldnt so they can replay their normal soundbites. Hats off to a Republican of the 21st century.

I've never been to Londonderry but I know that many shops in Derry accept Euros.
    Your comment was out of line and no, mine was quoting a comedian. If you read the thread that would have been obvious and you could have saved yourself any embarrassment.

You quote it - you take responsibility for it baby.
    To introduce something into this thread that makes fun of Mullaghmore is a disgrace.
    As was the fact that a cabal of your Republican buddies thanked you for it.
    I introduced Bloody Sunday to make that point - only to make that point.

karma_ wrote: »
    Sometimes it's better to say nothing and let the world think you're a bigot than to open your mouth and prove it.

Maybe that's the way things worked in back rooms of drinking clubs in West Belfast during punishment beatings! :D
    But I ain't gonna stand back and what Shinners refuse to accept the crimes you have committed against anyone on this island who doesn't agree to your narrow definitions of Irishness. :cool:

Get with the Agreement, Nationalists live in Derry. You have come a long way today, a bit more to go!
    ;)

Go to the Waterside baby.

Somebody is on the sherry. :D

Somebody is on the sherry. :D

He opened the champagne in the hope Mrs Windsor would call round.

Thought you'd be on your second Rosary by now.

"Are ya shure fadher that the Pope says we should being saying our prayers in the shower together like dis?" :D:p

• Advertisement

Not a mission, as I said earlier, they've already shat in that nest. Mrs W likes more intelligent, refined company these days.

Thought you'd be on your second Rosary by now.

"Are ya shure fadher that the Pope says we should being saying our prayers in the shower together like dis?" :D:p

Go and sleep off the drink before you beat the wife around the house like all the other knuckle draggers.

Mod note: user banned

Go and sleep off the drink before you beat the wife around the house like all the other knuckle draggers.

The drink - :D - on a school night - I wish Seamas.
    Did I interrupt the fifth mystery of Fatima recital? :p

Can't help having a wee snicker at around 0.55 secs in here as Philip hightails it back to safety as the choreography looks like it is going to require spontaneous chat. :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0627/media-3330139.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭The Shlong

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRet9PTed7DjqW7aws_o_NT4K-SSqWSPwhK5QHV-qzP2H8bRjrHQg

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

talk about talking through your ass, of course you have been to Londonderry if you've been to derry, its its name weather you like it or not.

You sound like some of the German football fans that were all saying they were playing their quarter final match against Greece in Danzig

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

talk about talking through your ass, of course you have been to Londonderry if you've been to derry, its its name weather you like it or not.

You sound like some of the German football fans that were all saying they were playing their quarter final match against Greece in Danzig

Based on that somewhat retarded argument there is no such place as Rome, Italy, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands, Poland etc etc etc

Are you really so uneducated that you are not aware that we call Warzawa, Warsaw?It is the same thing.

try reading

Now who is talking out their ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

forfuxsake wrote: »
    [/B]

Based on that somewhat retarded argument there is no such place as Rome, Italy, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands, Poland etc etc etc

Are you really so uneducated that you are not aware that we call Warzawa, Warsaw?It is the same thing.

try reading

Now who is talking out their ass?

no its not the same thing, i'm afraid your the one who is suffering lack of education if you are comparing warzawa\warsaw to Danzig\Gdańsk, go try saying to polish person in Gdańsk that they live in Danzig and see what they think.
    So Grow up and think next time before you type, there's a good lad.

no its not the same thing, i'm afraid your the one who is suffering lack of education if you are comparing warzawa\warsaw to Danzig\Gdańsk, go try saying to polish person in Gdańsk that they live in Danzig and see what they think.
    So Grow up and think next time before you type, there's a good lad.

It is exactly the same thing. I wouldn't tell a Polish person that they live in Danzig as in Polish and English it is Gdansk.

Polish people call Rome, Rzym and Milan, Mediolan but they are not going to go and tell people in these cities that they live in Rzym or Mediolan. In German Gdansk is Danzig, Nowy Sacz is Neusandez and Wroclaw is Breslau.

Please bear in mind that when referring to a nationality in English it is respectful to capitalise and day Poland or Polish, not polish which is for making things shiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the derry / londonderry question is easily resolved,LEGALLY the city and county are called ;londonderry; while the local goverment district is called derry. but why any normal person would visit a city where republican elements keep trying to bomb and kill each other is beyond me.

getz wrote: »
    the derry / londonderry question is easily resolved,LEGALLY the city and county are called ;londonderry; while the local goverment district is called derry. but why any normal person would visit a city where republican elements keep trying to bomb and kill each other is beyond me.

If you choose to not visit our lovely city of Derry, we certainly will not miss you.

Some people live there, others have family there. A more apt question is why would somebody let a a few fúcking idiots put them off visiting there?

If you choose to not visit our lovely city of Derry, we certainly will not miss you.
    no but i bet you would miss the british tax payers money

no but i bet you would miss the british tax payers money

What are you implying?

What are you implying?
    NI costs britain £6 billion every year just for 1.5 million people, that was the same amount as britains contribution to the irish bailout,ulster is certainly the most subsidised region in the UK,and probably the world,i would very much doubt that the irish republic would welcome taking on such a burden

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Happyman42 banned.

Trolling / goading.

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

Bollox

NI costs britain £6 billion every year just for 1.5 million people, that was the same amount as britains contribution to the irish bailout,ulster is certainly the most subsidised region in the UK,and probably the world,i would very much doubt that the irish republic would welcome taking on such a burden

Nice backpedal (even if it makes no sense in the context of the conversation).

Happyman42 banned.

Trolling / goading.

In his defence, he certainly was not the only one.

Which is precisely why the question will be put to the people in the future. It's clear as day the British want rid. The Unionists saw to it that the British would have dealt with the Seventh Day Free Willy Assoc if it meant that the conflict would stop.
    The mistake Unionism made was to assume that colonisation meant loyalty. Their discomfort, as they realised that fact, over the last number of years has been satisfying indeed.
    Their willingness to shirk off centuries of ideals (the Chuckle Bros, power sharing, introducing Marty to Mrs Winsdor) to try and feather their crumbling nests in the new order is equally satisfying.
    Never trust a colonist, because essentially colonists are driven by greed and self agrandisement.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

:D It truly galls the bigots that the IRA stopped so effectively and profoundly once they reached an agreement that they could live with. The immediate, effective and continued cessation demolished the stereotypical image created by the bigots of the IRA as physcopathic, murderous thugs, out of control with protestant blood lust.
    As Jim Molyneaux said about the IRA cessation, in his famous unscripted aside, 'This is the worst thing that ever happened to us'.
    He knew the full implications of what was happening, as did Paisley, who decided to change tack shortly after.
    Wonder was Paisley there today, anyone know?
    No one needs to create any myth, the evidence is available to you in large numbers of the amount of people they blew to pieces. The attempt to rewrite history is something which should be challenged.

No one needs to create any myth, the evidence is available to you in large numbers of the amount of people they blew to pieces. The attempt to rewrite history is something which should be challenged.

What bit about a war of terror do you not get Keith? The myth making by partitionists down here and by the unionist community was just that, myth making. The conflict ended, effectively & immediately. The action of a disciplined army.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

What bit about a war of terror do you not get Keith? The myth making by partitionists down here and by the unionist community was just that, myth making. The conflict ended, effectively & immediately. The action of a disciplined army.
    Just look at what you said.

How is this a myth?
    as physcopathic, murderous thugs

That is what they did. They planted bombs near civilians and blew them to pieces, they shot civilians and killed thousands of people. So yes, they did murder people. Why deny that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Wrong....6,000,000,000 /1,500,000 = 4000 per person

Falklands = (military spending only)63,000,000/2000 (british approx) =15,750 per person.. ever if you equate for the entire population its 2/3 times than in NI

but sure england has drilling rights, so what does it matter.

Aside for the fact this it what is costs to have an "empire"

Afghanistan cost 4.5 billion in 2009... again spent largly on militart actions..... once that natural gas starts flowing out of the caspian sea, that wont matter either.

Just look at what you said.

How is this a myth?

That is what they did. They planted bombs near civilians and blew them to pieces, they shot civilians and killed thousands of people. So yes, they did murder people. Why deny that?

People got killed by all sides, I have no joy or pleasure in those facts Keith.
    Call it murder if you wish, but call it all murder.
    Physcopathic killing is a love of killing, an illness and is not what the IRA was engaged in, if it was, how did it stop so effectively without treatment?

Which is precisely why the question will be put to the people in the future. It's clear as day the British want rid. The Unionists saw to it that the British would have dealt with the Seventh Day Free Willy Assoc if it meant that the conflict would stop.
    The mistake Unionism made was to assume that colonisation meant loyalty. Their discomfort, as they realised that fact, over the last number of years has been satisfying indeed.
    Their willingness to shirk off centuries of ideals (the Chuckle Bros, power sharing, introducing Marty to Mrs Winsdor) to try and feather their crumbling nests in the new order is equally satisfying.
    Never trust a colonist, because essentially colonists are driven by greed and self agrandisement.
    according to the telegaph in a recent poll, 52% of catholics wish to remain in the UK,against just 33% per cent who wish to have a united ireland,and only 48 % of english people want to keep the union,the percentage of unionist/nationists is up from 19% in 1998,its amazing how much more attractive a state can appear when the people who wave its flag are not trying to kill you,so despite SF ect wanting a united ireland soon, public opinion is not going their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Before or after:
    The Northern Bank robbery
    Paul Quinns murder

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

i come from a republican background and as far as i see this supposedly "historic event",i dont believe it is...Martin McGuinness has balls and with the media the way it is these days hes hounded by them into doing "the handshake" catch22 really,if he doesnt do it then people will ask why and vice versa...i would like to believe that we could see a united Ireland in our lifetime and if McGuinness shaking hands with Queenie is one of the steps needed to be taken towards that goal then so be it...as for my thoughts on the royal family...evil reptillians,all of them haha

according to the telegaph in a recent poll, 52% of catholics wish to remain in the UK,against just 33% per cent who wish to have a united ireland,and only 48 % of english people want to keep the union,the percentage of unionist/nationists is up from 19% in 1998,its amazing how much more attractive a state can appear when the people who wave its flag are not trying to kill you,so despite SF ect wanting a united ireland soon, public opinion is not going their way.

Which may or may not be the case, but I wouldn't be jumping up and down about anything emminating from the British establishment media.

SF's goal now is to make it attractive politically and convince people that they will be better of in a united Ireland. Nobody is underestimating the jo ahead.
    But consider all the factors. The British are facing a day of reckoning with their finances more profound than what we have gone through. Their problems are much deeper and they will need solutions. At the end of the day it will have nothing to do with the Irish question, but everything to do with the British themselves.
    Mrs Winsdor's visit yesterday, despite being snubbed last year, shows how willing the British are to aid and abet SF. Look at the history of the empire, nothing unusual in the British orchestrating events that will help them achieve their final goals. Principles of loyalty and responsibility will be cast out the window.

twinytwo wrote: »
    Wrong....6,000,000,000 /1,500,000 = 4000 per person

Falklands = (military spending only)63,000,000/2000 (british approx) =15,750 per person.. ever if you equate for the entire population its 2/3 times than in NI

but sure england has drilling rights, so what does it matter.

Aside for the fact this it what is costs to have an "empire"

Afghanistan cost 4.5 billion in 2009... again spent largly on militart actions..... once that natural gas starts flowing out of the caspian sea, that wont matter either.
    military spending ?.the word subsidy is a goverment payment or concession granted to a state or private company or individual,a subsidy may be provided to keep prices down,to stimulate the market for a particular product,or because it is peceived to be in the public interest,[hutchinson encyclopedia] .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement