Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin McGuinness to meet Britain's queen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

How it will not be spun on boards: It's pretty big of the Queen to agree to this. I mean getting over the murder of her cousin and agreeing to shake the hand with him. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

donbon wrote: »
    As is everything they say, like being anti-austerity in the South whilst introducing it in the North. Their policy is based solely on spouting what everyone wants to hear and god help the economy if they get into power in a few years.

People who say this tend to have no comprehension about how stormont or the block grant works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if she'll offer him a slice of Battenberg?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He won't refuse - the Sinn Fein goodwill ambassadors are working overtime. McGuinness is to be canonised for this heroic act of....ehm.....common sense and decency.

Yea its shocking.
    Just like the English queen did in common sense and decency by meeting terrorist Nelson Mandela, King of Saudi Arabia (you know the one that laughts at womens rights in his own country) and many others what supposedly might have been foe of England at one stage and or possible criminals themselves!

Should she do it, its common sense and decency.
    Should Martin do it - O' its all just a gimmick!

I'll say it again, some people are never bloody happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

eviltwin wrote: »
    I have more respect for her than I do for him, she's an old lady, she doesn't have to do any of this stuff, she'll be in that job till the day she dies, you could see why she might not want to bother with all this stuff more so seeing as how a member of her own family was killed by the IRA, I think she shows real dignity in making this gesture and I think he will be a fool to refuse and will just end up looking like a pathetic dinosaur stuck in the past.

Yeah its not a hard thing for MMG to do at all, play happy families with the head of the BA, the person who pinned medals on her murderers.

And a serious lol@ your naivety in thinking that this was a gracious invite and not something all parties got together on ages ago and arranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yeah its not a hard thing for MMG to do at all, play happy families with the head of the BA, the person who pinned medals on her murderers.

And a serious lol@ your naivety in thinking that this was a gracious invite and not something all parties got together on ages ago and arranged.

But as I said she doesn't have to do it, she's gotten to her 80's without having to do it so you could see why she would not want all the bother.

I don't really have any interest in your agenda, we all know where you are coming from and this woman could do backflips and you would still have issues with her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

You would be surprised how many anti-GFA republicans don't trust McGuinness to the extent that they think he is an agent!

In which Portrush pup did you deem that conversation a safe one to have?!

Yes I have heard that. I'm not from the north and I've only been Portrush that one. Can't remember what it was called but it was on Main Street. The aul fella just started chatting to me at the bar asking me about my religion and political viewpoints (two things I always make a point to avoid talking about when chatting to strangers) and he just started going on Martin McGuinness. In general though I talk about what I want where and when I want though because I'm a mad cunt :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Biggins wrote: »
    Yea its shocking.
    Just like the English queen did in common sense and decency by meeting terrorist Nelson Mandela, King of Saudi Arabia (you know the one that laughts at womens rights in his own country) and many others what supposedly might have been foe of England at one stage and or possible criminals themselves!

Should she do it, its common sense and decency.
    Should Martin do it - O' its all just a gimmick!

I'll say it again, some people are never bloody happy.

I don't get your first point. Yes - the Queen meets/has met a rich tapestry of colourful characters down the years. McGuinness is no exception. She meets who the British Government tells her to meet.

I never said it was gimmickry for MMG to meet her. I said it was an act of common sense and decency - one that he and his party shouldn't be looking for credit for.

I'm happy about the meeting. But I'm not going to applaud either side for doing the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a dyed in the wool republican and YES I think its a good thing.

I hope it goes ahead.

• Advertisement

I don't get your first point. Yes - the Queen meets/has met a rich tapestry of toe-rags down the years. McGuinness is no exception. She meets who the British Government tells her to meet.

I never said it was gimmickry for MMG to meet her. I said it was an act of common sense and decency - one that he and his party shouldn't be looking for credit for.

I'm happy about the meeting. But I'm not going to applaud either side for doing the right thing.

...And to be clear, I never said you said, it was gimmickry for MMG to meet her - but some are espousing that by their chastisement of Martin for doing it.

I am just glad that SF and Martin are willing (hopefully) to meet the woman.
    I've disagreed with both over the years because of various areas/topics - but its is a further step forward rather than stalemate or heading backwards into the quagmire of continuing multiple sided hatred.

They might not deserve awards for either of their actions but at the very least, I'm glad it might happen than not.

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

I don't see why its considered a big deal (boosted by Sinn Fein media chatter) for McGuinness to meet and greet the British Queen. If anything, its more remarkable that the Queen is agreeing to meet and greet him. Mary Lou McDonald was on RTE's Morning Ireland this morning making out that McGuinness' and Sinn Fein's decision was a tremendous act of bridge-building and that they were doing this for everyone on the island of Ireland. Self-serving waffle.

They'd want to grow up. McGuinness - you're an elected representative - act like one - shake the lady's hand and don't be making yourself out to be some kind of Gandhi-like innocent "getting over" all the horrible things done to you by the Queen and her Governement.

When the handshake does happen there'll be only one murderous thug in the room (depending on which helpers Martin has with him).

mary lou was correct , it is a huge deal for sinn fein and one which is likely to cause mixed feelings amongst their base , sinn fein have travelled a very long way and this is a further giant leap , its been a while since unionists made any kind of large gesture and they would need to reciprocate this very great one if it does go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Sinn Fein cant win, with the attitudes of alot of irish people.

OF course he was a commander in the RA, who killed many british soldiers and innocents and her army kill many IRA volunteers and many civilians.

This is a huge step by mcGuinness and Sinn Féin, fair play to them, and hopefully the people of NI.

The big reply by boardsies opposed to Sinn Féin and republicanism is "ah wudja move on.."

So why dont you take your own advice and MOVE THE FÚCK ON!

I don't get your first point. Yes - the Queen meets/has met a rich tapestry of colourful characters down the years. McGuinness is no exception. She meets who the British Government tells her to meet.

mcguinness is a choir boy compared to the kind of bloody despots the queen shakes hands with on a semi regular basis , ive nothing against queen liz , in fact i admire the stoic unfussed way which she goes about her business but lets not cod ourselves , she is old school british , violence played a central part in maintaining british dominance , the queen is no harmless little old lady

bee_keeper wrote: »
    mary lou was correct , it is a huge deal for sinn fein and one which is likely to cause mixed feelings amongst their base , sinn fein have travelled a very long way and this is a further giant leap , its been a while since unionists made any kind of large gesture and they would need to reciprocate this very great one if it does go ahead

Well lets see what could unionists offer to match such genorosity of spirt from Sinn Fein - after all we are talking about a person actually shaking hands with another person and standing all civil in a room like. There may even be some drinks and nibbles involved here as well - I guess that's for the diplomats to sort out.

Unionists could:
    - send their leaders to shake hands with the President of our republic....................oh right, happened years ago, I see.
    - agree to sit in government with murderers from both sides (republicans and loyalists)......................oh, that was years ago too?
    - agree to self-determination for the people in the region....................oh, that happened too?
    - get the British Army to close bases and pull troops off the streets......done too huh??
    - ensure the RUC is completely reformed............oh, yeah that happened years ago too (not before time).

So I'm scratching my head wondering what the Unionist community or its politicians could do that would top Martin's benevolance. Any ideas?

Well lets see what could unionists offer to match such genorosity of spirt from Sinn Fein - after all we are talking about a person actually shaking hands with another person and standing all civil in a room like. There may even be some drinks and nibbles involved here as well - I guess that's for the diplomats to sort out.

Unionists could:
    - send their leaders to shake hands with the President of our republic....................oh right, happened years ago, I see.
    - agree to sit in government with murderers from both sides (republicans and loyalists)......................oh, that was years ago too?
    - agree to self-determination for the people in the region....................oh, that happened too?
    - get the British Army to close bases and pull troops off the streets......done too huh??
    - ensure the RUC is completely reformed............oh, yeah that happened years ago too (not before time).

So I'm scratching my head wondering what the Unionist community or its politicians could do that would top Martin's benevolance. Any ideas?

Its not a major thing to us but to some of the North it might be. Their (by some more stubborn people within their own side) willing to back down on their aggressive stance over they not wishing schools to be integrated as regards Protestants and Catholics.
    A clear statement supporting the Northern Ireland government in their wish to create more integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Its not a major thing to us but to some of the North it might be. Their (by some more stubborn people within their own side) willing to back down on their aggressive stance over they not wishing schools to be integrated as regards Protestants and Catholics.
    A clear statement supporting the Northern Ireland government in their wish to create more integration.

As regards integration in schools, If the government can deliver the same results from state schools as the Catholic schools then more parents would choose state schools. As it stands Catholics far out perform their Protestant counterparts so there is little appetite for messing with the Catholic school system.

Unionists could:

bar meeting the president of ireland , all of the above needed to happen and besides , republicans meeting the british monarch who heads the nations armed forces is a much bigger deal than peter robinson meeting the president , republicans have made much bigger sacrafices to core beliefs than unionists this past fifteen years

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He won't refuse - the Sinn Fein goodwill ambassadors are working overtime. McGuinness is to be canonised for this heroic act of....ehm.....common sense and decency.
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, shame on him for not wanting to shake the hand of a person that is the figurehead and patron for the British Army, an army that caused him to join the IRA by murdering innocent people on Bloody Sunday in Derry and had murdered hundreds more people over the course of their occupation of Northern Ireland since 1970. Whether that is a true figure for civilians murdered or not I am not sure, but the majority of Republicans believe that, so it is entirely understandable that he would/did not want to shake her hand.

I'm no republican, but even I can see that she represents a lot more to Republicans and Nationalists than a nice old lady that drinks tea and be hauled about in a gold carriage by horses.

As regards integration in schools, If the government can deliver the same results from state schools as the Catholic schools then more parents would choose state schools. As it stands Catholics far out perform their Protestant counterparts so there is little appetite for messing with the Catholic school system.

Internally some don't want to mess around with the method of education system itself if it works.
    Externally though, there is still a fierce hatred/resentment amid the die-hards to to not wish to see further integration of people from both sides of communities.

bar meeting the president of ireland , all of the above needed to happen and besides , republicans meeting the british monarch who heads the nations armed forces is a much bigger deal than peter robinson meeting the president , republicans have made much bigger sacrafices to core beliefs than unionists this past fifteen years

If that's true maybe that's because their core beliefs were wrong and/or disposable?

• Advertisement

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Sinn Fein cant win, with the attitudes of alot of irish people.

OF course he was a commander in the RA, who killed many british soldiers and innocents and her army kill many IRA volunteers and many civilians.

This is a huge step by mcGuinness and Sinn Féin, fair play to them, and hopefully the people of NI.

The big reply by boardsies opposed to Sinn Féin and republicanism is "ah wudja move on.."

So why dont you take your own advice and MOVE THE FÚCK ON!
    Spot on.

If that's true maybe that's because their core beliefs were wrong and/or disposable?

...Or just in their opinion, appropriate for the times they considered they were living in?

cournioni wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    ..........the British Army...........over the course of their occupation of Northern Ireland since 1970.......

The British Army didn't occupy Northern Ireland. It is simplistic and downright wrong to claim they did. As we all know, they were welcomed in many republican areas very early on as peacekeepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Internally some don't want to mess around with the method of education system itself if it works.
    Externally though, there is still a fierce hatred/resentment amid the die-hards to to not wish to see further integration of people from both sides of communities.

State schools aren't actually protestant, they do have some Catholics so they are already integrated to some extent. There are some who don't want their kids associating with Catholics but in my opinion its not the biggest issue around education.

Its official lads

...Or just in their opinion, appropriate for the times they considered they were living in?

If that's the case then abandoning these beliefs in changed times wasn't a sacrafice at all....just a formality.

The British Army didn't occupy Northern Ireland. It is simplistic and downright wrong to claim they did. As we all know, they were welcomed in many republican areas very early on as peacekeepers.
    Indeed, and then Bloody Sunday happened. :rolleyes:

cournioni wrote: »
    Indeed, and then Bloody Sunday happened. :rolleyes:

Indeed. But my point still stands. The British Army was not a force of occupation.......just in the minds of republican fantasists who found a convenient enemy.

If that's the case then abandoning these beliefs in changed times wasn't a sacrafice at all....just a formality.

If all things were a formality - life would be so much easier.

In their opinion, their actions/stances appropriate for the times they considered they were living in - I'm assuming.

They have (thankfully) moved on and/or are still willing to move on.
    That might be just a 'formality' to some, to me its good natural progression from an org' that although holds still the same ideals of an eventually united island, they are willing to now take yet another step in meeting of hearts and minds, they are willing to shake hands.
    The process of doing that on the day will be an official formality - the steps up to that moment are/or were never just that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its another positive step forward,and should be welcomed by all the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just confirmed

Indeed. But my point still stands. The British Army was not a force of occupation.......just in the minds of republican fantasists who found a convenient enemy.

Convenient enemy?

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

annascott wrote: »
    Put chocolate milk from coco pops into coffee. You will have Mocha!

Mind. F*ckin'. Blown!

Convenient enemy?

*sigh*

Yep, before the army arrived they only had neighbours and fellow-countrymen to kill and maim. With the arrival of the British Army they were catapulted into the premier league of terrorist organisations. They were real soldiers and even shot back. Still.....shooting soldiers and even policemen wasn't always enough. Sometimes when the IRA and Sinn Fein wanted to really, really fight for Irish Freedom nothing would do but children, shoppers and best of all - whoever the **** happened to be next to the car bomb at the moment it went off. That's was true freedom fighting right there.

But seriously, nominally fighting the might of the British Army was very convenient for their credibility in the eyes of many.

Fair enough, but right or wrong, that is how Republican's viewed it after Bloody Sunday and hundreds of killings. It is completely understandable why he nor any other Republican would want to shake her hand.

Yep, before the army arrived they only had neighbours and fellow-countrymen to kill and maim. With the arrival of the British Army they were catapulted into the premier league of terrorist organisations. They were real soldiers and even shot back. Still.....shooting soldiers and even policemen wasn't always enough. Sometimes when the IRA and Sinn Fein wanted to really, really fight for Irish Freedom nothing would do but children, shoppers and best of all - whoever the **** happened to be next to the car bomb at the moment it went off. That's was true freedom fighting right there.

But seriously, nominally fighting the might of the British Army was very convenient for their credibility in the eyes of many.
    For clarity, when the soldiers first arrived, they were (folk find this hard to believe but its true) welcomed by both sides.
    It wasn't uncommon for soldiers to be offered cups of tea and talked to in the streets by residents at their front doors.

Now thereafter what started then to create the long mess that ensued, is debatable.

The British army was not just a convenient enemy, they sadly eventually became one that was doing its masters bidding - which in turn led to "The Troubles".
    ...And that wasn't convenient for anyone either - on any side!

Can we talk about today rather than how the troubles stated something we've gone over a million times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

It sure made a good effort at resembling one around South Armagh and South Down back in the day

• Advertisement

Can we talk about today rather than how the troubles stated something we've gone over a million times?

Fine. Martin McGuinness is to meet the Queen.

That's genuinely welcome news. Nice and civil.

Martin McGuinness is still a murderous thug though....but at least he's better than Adams who tells more lies about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

He ran for the presidency, where if he got the role, he would have to meet and greet countless heads of states.

So, why is it surprising to some, that he has agreed to greet the Queen?

Martin McGuinness is still a murderous thug though....but at least he's better than Adams who tells more lies about it.

As the saying goes "one mans terrorist, is another mans freedom fighter" - and the British Queen has met them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Martin McGuinness is still a murderous thug though..

What were the names of his victims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pity the same can't be said for two other main parties who flip-flop and u-turn faster in two years than FF had done in ten!

But... but.. we should never forget what the shinners did at Pearl Harbour and then there's 9/11 - the sinking of the Lusitania..

Never!

Never!

Never!

• Advertisement

golden rule of debating = never confuse opinion with fact

golden rule of debating = never confuse opinion with fact

And that is your opinion :D

But... but.. we should never forget what the shinners did at Pearl Harbour and then there's 9/11 - the sinking of the Lusitania..

Never!

Never!

Never!

:confused:

... and therefore the Queen is also a murderous thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

:confused:

Just messing - not aimed at you in any way! :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement