Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin McGuinness to meet Britain's queen

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

K-9 wrote: »
    I very much mind my p's and q's as a matter of principle! :D

When I speak to users like that, there's a damn bloody good reason! :D

My dear old Dad taught me that! :D

And when anyone else commits half the offense, its time for the good oul ambiguous infraction eh?

Didn't the IRA decommission though?

No.

Isn't the North still part of the United Kingdom?

We've won the demographics war and the clause to opt out. And if they renege Manchester 96 will look like a wet fart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Border-Rat wrote: »
    And when anyone else commits half the offense, its time for the good oul ambiguous infraction eh?

I wouldn't worry too much, when posters resort to that, it generally indicates a failure of one sort or another. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This is After Hours, not politics.

An important context, lost on some who don't get the nuance. You've never changed your opinion on Northern politics, have you?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Happyman42 wrote: »
    We 'people' know that when the demographic is right then we will get what is ours. In the meantime we have hard won equality of esteem and equal rights and oppurtunities.
    To my knowledge we fought because we wouldn't 'accept' your version of human rights and we won that fight, hands down. Nor have we given up the quest for a United Ireland, free of occupation.

Thought YOU people would get your goats! :D

You have decommissioned - fullstop. The consent principle has always been in place in the North - Unionists always demanded this. The Army is in place in the North in barracks just like the Irish Army in the Republic of Ireland. They do march of course when the Royal Irish Rangers come home from successful tours abroad to accept the acclaim of the people. The Queen is the head of state in NI - her flag, currency, army rule the roost.

The point on demographics in interesting though.
    Many Catholics in the North wish to remain part of the UK and are not looking for a United Ireland. Any vote on the issue now would produce at least a 2:1 in favour of the Union.

K-9 wrote: »
    This is After Hours, not politics.

An important context, lost on some who don't get the nuance. You've never changed your opinion on Northern politics, have you?

Actually, I have. I was once a supporter of what is known as 'Dissidents'. I changed my opinion when I found out the Provo's are still around. I thought they'd sold us out. It was a relief. Now I endorse their policy of having their cake and eating it, that is to say, hanging around while their political wing reaps more benefits than a party that doesn't even have its own private army.

Sinn Fein will have their UI, whether the Castle Catholics like it or not.

You have decommissioned - fullstop.

They have not decommissioned. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

No. We've won the demographics war and the clause to opt out. And if they renege Manchester 96 will look like a wet fart.

You people have decommissioned.
    Many Catholics want to stay in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

You have decommissioned - fullstop. The consent principle has always been in place in the North - Unionists always demanded this. The Army is in place in the North in barracks just like the Irish Army in the Republic of Ireland. They do march of course when the Royal Irish Rangers come home from successful tours abroad to accept the acclaim of the people. The Queen is the head of state in NI - her flag, currency, army rule the roost.

The point on demographics in interesting though.
    Many Catholics in the North wish to remain part of the UK and are not looking for a United Ireland. Any vote on the issue now would produce at least a 2:1 in favour of the Union.

Long as you're happy in you're own wee backwater.

They have not decommissioned. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Enlighten us all.
    I will need to e-mail General de Chastelain in the morning. ;)

• Advertisement

If you're referring to the Provo's, they destroyed Soviet Weaponry, kept American weaponry in Southern Caches, acquired off-shore caches of weaponry, weaponry from the Russian Military and weaponry from ETA. You thought they'd take the biggest liars in history for their word?

We'll see what happens when push comes to shove. For the interim, never again will Catholics in the 06 be mistreated. We are taking over it institutionally and demographically. When the majority up here under the age of 27 are Catholic, really, who cares. We'll opt out when we want to.

And just incase, the real Army hasn't gone away ye know.

delaad wrote: »

Long as you're happy in you're own wee backwater.

Please use the Queen's English as intended.
    After all she is the head of state in those 6 counties.

Decommissioning is a sop to the Unionists, something they could use to save face.
    Not really that important in the scheme of things. It's a bit like Border checkpoints, useless as an ashtray on a motorbike in terms of catching anybody or monitoring activity and they just became target practice for the IRA. But it kept the border unionists happy.

The rest of your stuff is just the usual taunting of the rabble rousing Unionist/Loyalist. Carry on if you people get off on it.

If you're referring to the Provo's, they destroyed Soviet Weaponry, kept American weaponry in Southern Caches, acquired off-shore caches of weaponry, weaponry from the Russian Military and weaponry from ETA. You thought they'd take the biggest liars in history for their word?

We'll see what happens when push comes to shove. For the interim, never again will Catholics in the 06 be mistreated. We are taking over it institutionally and demographically. When the majority up here under the age of 27 are Catholic, really, who cares. We'll opt out when we want to.

And just incase, the real Army hasn't gone away ye know.

Can't accept that on weapons - goes against everything we know.
    Many of these younger Catholics have no interest in joining with the South.
    They don't want to know about Enda Kenny and people down here.
    The interesting fact is that a majority of Catholics in the 6 could vote to stay indefintely in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Spread wrote: »
    Successive failures? In getting the British establishment to listen, take heed and run. You gotta be joking. As with all other colonies ....... the mighty British empire crumbling under freedom fighters. Can you tell us why the empire has shrunk? Nothing at all to do with all of these "terrorist organisations" giving the British Army a bloody nose? Fred, you and your ilk are very much deluded. Just like Thatcher ........ trapped by the past. Sad.

This is a short history lesson Fred. But a true one!
    A Yankee talking about terrorism. Your country is famous for it. It is a real pity the Southern people can't have independence to get rid of the Yankee invader.

We 'people' know that when the demographic is right then we will get what is ours. In the meantime we have hard won equality of esteem and equal rights and oppurtunities.
    To my knowledge we fought because we wouldn't 'accept' your version of human rights and we won that fight, hands down. Nor have we given up the quest for a United Ireland, free of occupation.
    The Republican movement has stalled. It is now doing things which are anti Republican. This handshake is just another sign of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

A Yankee talking about terrorism. Your country is famous for it. It is a real pity the Southern people can't have independence to get rid of the Yankee invader.
    ah here

The Republican movement has stalled. It is now doing things which are anti Republican. This handshake is just another sign of that.

Oh yeh, sharing power in the North and growing in the south. Good one Keith, whatever helps you sleep nights! The handshake is on SF's terms, not Mrs Windsor's, they refused point blank to do it on her terms. Next we'll get Peter Robinson to eat grass too and put out his hand too. Just watch! ;)

Please use the Queen's English as intended.
    After all she is the head of state in those 6 counties.

I,m fairly certain I don,t live in your own wee backwater, and even if I did, I'm sure one as enlightened as you know doubt think you are, would appreciate that language evolves on an almost daily basis.

• Advertisement

I,m fairly certain I don,t live in your own wee backwater, and even if I did, I'm sure one as enlightened as you know doubt think you are, would appreciate that language evolves on an almost daily basis.

Wee - we can't allow that.
    Small is the word we want.
    Hope Marty gets these things right on Wednesday.
    The bow first, handshake and photo next and then the peerage to follow.
    Lord Londonderry. ;)

Oh yeh, sharing power in the North and growing in the south. Good one Keith, whatever helps you sleep nights! The handshake is on SF's terms, not Mrs Windsor's, they refused point blank to do it on her terms. Next we'll get Peter Robinson to eat grass too and put out his hand too. Just watch! ;)
    Sharing power is not the issue. The issue is Republicanism and the huge divide within Irish Republicanism which is deep. DUP are the biggest party in Northern Ireland yet it isn't that important. What is important is the political reality in the support of the Union which is growing amongst people who would not come from backgrounds which are traditionally Unionist.

It is Republicanism which has the major problem like the mini IRA running about trying to blow people to pieces. Not Unionism. Unionism is winning the game of persuasion.

ah here
    Well it is true.

Lord Londonderry. ;)

At least Marty knows that Mrs Windsor will 'wee' all over him if it's politically expedient for her, which can't be said of the Unionist fraternity, they still think she thinks they are a wee bit special even though she **** all over them to get the IRA to stop! :D

At least Marty knows that Mrs Windsor will 'wee' all over him if it's politically expedient for her, which can't be said of the Unionist fraternity, they still think she thinks they are a wee bit special even though she **** all over them to get the IRA to stop! :D

The IRA stopped because they were losing the war.
    The Loyalists paramilitaries were on the offensive outperforming the Provies.
    The fact that the Queen is head of state of NI shows who the winners really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The fact that the Queen is head of state of NI shows who the winners really are.

You know, if you keep blowing that triumphalist horn, sooner or later we'll all believe you.

• Advertisement

How do you think Mrs Windsor feels about shaking his hand? Does it present a problem for her at all in your fantasy world?
    What signal does it send to Peter Robinson who deliberatly avoids doing it in public. Don't you think the message is, me and Marty are leaving you behind Peter? You are a dinosaur, the one now out in the cold, mammy is consorting with somebody else, the ones that where right all along because it's now politically expedient for mammy.
    Please try and stay in the realm of reality when answering.

Lord Londonderry.

I thought you might, at least, have picked me up on my punctuation.

Btw, I reckon Mairtin might just sympathise with Mrs Brown on England's exit from the Euros, but suggest comfort to her that her ancestral home remains in a strong position to triumph:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The IRA stopped on the advice of Adams and Sinn Fein and the fact the conflict was going around in circles to no avail on either side.

Loyalist paramilitaries were made up of right wing dinosaurs like Johnny Adair and Michael Stone who sat around east Belfast cesspits picking off innocent Catholics. Not to mention serial killer Lenny Murphy who just cut heads off in the back of his car for the craic. Quality offensive strategy that.

The fact that a thread all about progress and reconciliation between political figures (who once regarded each other as enemies), is being hijacked by pathetic little loyalist cretins beating the colonial drum speaks volumes about who's stuck in the past.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    The IRA stopped on the advice of Adams and Sinn Fein and the fact the conflict was going around in circles to no avail on either side.

Loyalist paramilitaries were made up of right wing dinosaurs like Johnny Adair and Michael Stone who sat around east Belfast cesspits picking off innocent Catholics. Not to mention serial killer Lenny Murphy who just cut heads off in the back of his car for the craic. Quality offensive strategy that.

The fact that a thread all about progress and reconciliation between political figures (who once regarded each other as enemies), is being hijacked by pathetic little loyalist cretins beating the colonial drum speaks volumes about who's stuck in the past.

Excellent post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Bloody Sunday

then

Happy Monday.

• Advertisement

policarp wrote: »
    Bloody Sunday

then

Happy Monday.

Ah, the penny drops. Nice guy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Varied wrote: »
    I love these threads, they show a side of ignorance in people that nver stepped across the border in their lives. They all know best, what with their british tabloids and such to tell them what's happening.

Martin is doing what he has been doing for the past 40 odd years, looking after his peoples interests and striving for equality, Like any supposed politican should be.

I love posters like you who assume that anybody who does not agree with your lovein of SF means that they have never travelled to North Ireland. I've been there many times over 25 years and I still don't have one good thing to say about SF.

I love posters like you who assume that anybody who does not agree with your lovein of SF means that they have never travelled to North Ireland. I've been there many times over 25 years and I still don't have one good thing to say about SF.

....and would you deny them and their mandate too? You are free to like or dislike any political ideology you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I must say you come to unusual conclusions. Fifteen months in the US and I'm a Yankee. Keith, they need people like you here to speed up the immigration process. If your historical analysis is similar to the above ............. the EST is too late.
    ah here

Hello there! :D

Well it is true.

See above, pilgrim.

How do you think Mrs Windsor feels about shaking his hand? Does it present a problem for her at all in your fantasy world?
    What signal does it send to Peter Robinson who deliberatly avoids doing it in public. Don't you think the message is, me and Marty are leaving you behind Peter? You are a dinosaur, the one now out in the cold, mammy is consorting with somebody else, the ones that where right all along because it's now politically expedient for mammy.
    Please try and stay in the realm of reality when answering.

Have you people heard of the parable of the prodigal son?
    I'm sure your priests told you this in the bath at some point.
    Peter is the good son. Marty as you call him the bad.
    Marty after a period of revolt comes back to the fold.
    He was lost and now is found.
    This is why Her Majesty will shake his hand.
    This is why Enda Kenny shakes his hand although he justified the slaughter of Gardai and Irish Army personnel.
    Here endeth the lesson. ;)

I thought you might, at least, have picked me up on my punctuation.

Btw, I reckon Mairtin might just sympathise with Mrs Brown on England's exit from the Euros, but suggest comfort to her that her ancestral home remains in a strong position to triumph:).

The Queen handed the Jules Rimet trophy to Bobby Moore in 1966.
    Reckon that tops Mairtin's Derry City winning the Windscreen Wipers Challenge Trophy. :D

MaxSteele wrote: »

That's strange.
    I thought Loyalists were a well oiled machine fed money, supplies, information and weapons by the RUC/British Army. Republican speak changes as it suits. You know that there were plenty of Sinn Fein councillors and connected Republicans taken out in the years before the first ceasefire.
    Innocent Catholics were targeted in revenge - Frizzels fish shop comes to mind.
    It became obvious to the Republican movement that they would never achieve what they wanted and they sued for peace.
    And you know this - wake up and smell the Columbian FARC coffee.

Spread wrote: »
    I must say you come to unusual conclusions. Fifteen months in the US and I'm a Yankee. Keith, they need people like you here to speed up the immigration process. If your historical analysis is similar to the above ............. the EST is too late.

Hello there! :D

See above, pilgrim.
    Well you do talk about occupied lands, from a Yankee that is a bit rich.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well you do talk about occupied lands, from a Yankee that is a bit rich.
    But still true.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

cournioni wrote: »
    But still true.

oh god people going on about occupied, grow up pal. so Northern Ireland is occupied, USA, Canada, the rest of the Americas, jeeze even the caribbean is occupied by former slaves maybe they should be told to get back to africa, austraila, NZ. everybody should head home, Ireland can have a 200m population... that's if they would be allowed into ireland as maybe its about time the Celts who have occupied this Island are thrown out so it can be given back to the native Irish.

• Advertisement

This is why Enda Kenny shakes his hand although he justified the slaughter of Gardai and Irish Army personnel.

:D:D Biblical? That's how you people see it???? Ha ha ha ha
    That ****ing book has been used to pull off some nasty **** in it's time!

Marty will make Peter look like the bottom feeding bigot that he is and force the juvenile dinosaur to shake his hand. What parable will soften that in the loyalist heartland eh?
    They are at the door Happy M, and there not a thing you can do about that. Truth and right will always out...isn't that what the bible says!:D

Stand by for a political masterclass!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

There will be a photo of the handshake An Phoblacht have confirmed they will take one shot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Absolutely no respect for any person that resorts to that sort of comment

Listening to the Unionists trying to spin this reminds me of Jim Molyneaux's unscripted gaff at the time of the IRA ceasefire.....
    "This is the worst thing that has ever happened to us". :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Lord Londonderry. ;)

You hardline unionists can be hard to please...

First it was 'Never, never, never'... Now your bending over yourselves to hand out titles. Make up your bloody mind.

Each letter is 30 foot high btw

I wonder if Lizzie saw it out her window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Each letter is 30 foot high btw

I wonder if Lizzie saw it out her window?

Her plane was diverted.

Morlar wrote: »
    Her plane was diverted.
    To Belfast I thought?

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    Her plane was diverted.

:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement