Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Games Euro 2012 - Friendly Pubs to watch in

• 22-06-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just a quick question,

I know an english girl at work who doesn't watch england games in the pub here anymore due to general sneering/attitude toward england from Irish fans. Nothing major, just general stuff that makes it hard to enjoy watchin it.

Fair enough I thought,unfortunately we're not gonna solve that issue over night.

But I was just wondering if there was a pub where england fans are gathering or an england friendly atmosphere in or around dublin city centre?

Any responses appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Well the rougher pubs in the city centre would be a no go as would basically every pub in a working class area in Dublin. I honestly couldnt tell you where to go where you wont encounter maybe a handfull of dickheads, perhaps somewhere with a more international crowd. I went to dtwo on harcourt street for the Ireland/Spain game and there was a lot of Italians there for earlier game who were good craic, so there might be a good atmosphere there. Expect a bit of stick but give as good as you get, its all about the banter at the end of the day but i realise it only takes a handful of dickheads turn a bit of craic into an uncomfortable situation.

Its embarraising to be honest considering the amount of us who support English teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Cheers, might suggest that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Its embarraising to be honest considering the amount of us who support English teams.

QFT.

The Living Room is the most international of the "football" pubs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Its funny, not living in Ireland and therefore not being exposed to The Sun and News of the World front pages on Sky News every day has made me pretty non interested in the whole back whoever is playing against England thing that I used to get off on. Also I have always thought Hodgson was a great manager, Liverpool are a joke to have gotten rid of him, and he is proving his worth now.

I dont need them winning, but Hodgson deserves a good run.

Des wrote: »
    QFT.

The Living Room is the most international of the "football" pubs imo.

I was always under the impresssion it was a bit rough but i was only there in the night time never for the football, id keep away from thate end of town if donning the England colours though.

Its funny, not living in Ireland and therefore not being exposed to The Sun and News of the World front pages on Sky News every day has made me pretty non interested in the whole back whoever is playing against England thing that I used to get off on. Also I have always thought Hodgson was a great manager, Liverpool are a joke to have gotten rid of him, and he is proving his worth now.

I dont need them winning, but Hodgson deserves a good run.

Er ok.

• Advertisement

I was always under the impresssion it was a bit rough but i was only there in the night time never for the football, id keep away from thate end of town if donning the England colours though.

"A bit rough" what? :confused:

I was there for the WC Final in 2010, awesome atmosphere altogether, and was alos in there the day of the CL Final.

Early on there was the Championship play-off, then some big rugby match, at the same time there was some Ice Hockey match, think it was a World Cup or something, but there were shít loads of EEers watching that, then the CL, not an ounce of trouble all day.

"that end of town" - are you some kind of posh saithsaider loike? stick to Kiely's with a jumper on your shoulders in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

very much this, i would not be going up around there displaying any kind of jovial englishness. I'm actually at a loss as to where the OP could go in the city without receiving some kind of reaction. . .that's kinda sad :(

Jaysis soft lads.

There is not a chance of it happening in The Living Room, it's one of the most cosmopolitan pubs in the city ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Kiley's of Donnybrook.

Kiley's of Donnybrook.

Wouldn't know what a round ball was if it hit them in the face, roysh.

Some of the posters on this thread would be a bit more suited to the environment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Jaysis soft lads.

There is not a chance of it happening in The Living Room, it's one of the most cosmopolitan pubs in the city ffs.

Actually, this is true. My potential issue would be regarding the surrounding area of the venue although I'm sure the OP's friend is wise enough to not be displaying england colours and paraphernalia on the walk up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its one of many embarassing things about this country. in poznan square during the england v france game, one irish girl didnt want france to win so she was going for england.

some dumb f*ck irish lad came over to her and gave her the "800 years" lecture. when he was asked who does he support - "liverpool....so what, thats different".

everybody just stopped listening to him.

ive no problems saying i would like to see england winning the euros. they wont because they are very limited and poor overall, but its as hypocritical as it comes to support an english club and then take offence to people who support them.

and its f*cking sad that an english person cant watch a game in the local pubs here, its also pathetic and small minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tell her to fcuk home for herself and watch that shower back in her own country!!!!!

:)

Just joking, most modern sports bars would be fine,rougher pubs would be a no no and local bars too maybe, but pretty much any modern city centre bar would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Some of the posters on this thread would be a bit more suited to the environment though.

They'd know God Save the Queen, though.

theteal wrote: »
    Actually, this is true. My potential issue would be regarding the surrounding area of the venue although I'm sure the OP's friend is wise enough to not be displaying england colours and paraphernalia on the walk up

Walking up O'Connell street :confused:

the only trouble I've ever seen on O'connell street was three junkies fighting, not very likely to turn on a Englans shirt clad woman really.

And they are all usually gone by that time.

They'd know God Save the Queen, though.

they would, aye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I will fully recommended the woolshed on Parnell street. I was there for Germany England in the WC and there was a great friendly atmosphere and probably a 50/50 split. The only time there was any sort of abuse was after the game when Dublin gaa fans came in after a match. Everyone was gone at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Woolshed and Living Room are great shouts. Never had any hassle wearing my England top in either.

Not decided where I'll watch the match yet.

Re other fans cheering against em I now just mess about back with em. You can get chatting to people in these kind of situations and its usually good craic.

Er ok.
    "A bit rough" what? :confused:

I was there for the WC Final in 2010, awesome atmosphere altogether, and was alos in there the day of the CL Final.

Early on there was the Championship play-off, then some big rugby match, at the same time there was some Ice Hockey match, think it was a World Cup or something, but there were shít loads of EEers watching that, then the CL, not an ounce of trouble all day.

"that end of town" - are you some kind of posh saithsaider loike? stick to Kiely's with a jumper on your shoulders in that case.
    Jaysis soft lads.

Walking up O'Connell street :confused:

the only trouble I've ever seen on O'connell street was three junkies fighting, not very likely to turn on a Englans shirt clad woman really.

And they are all usually gone by that time.

I couldn't be further away from the Donnybrook set if i tried Des.

The point of the thread is to give advice as to where an English fan would be comfortable going to see the match. I was in the Living Room once in the night time where it was rowdy enough and bad atmosphere, that was my experience, if you say it's good for the match then so be it. I've never had a problem on O'Connell st. myself but it's a kip up the Parnell st. end and i much prefer the surroundings south of the river.

Does that mean i'm not a double 'ard bastard like you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

@ Paul

Fully agree, we get a few English lads in to watch the games and though the regulars would often give them a jeer and a wind up they just gave back as good as they got and that would be it! Now they come in to watch Irish games too to slag the lads, its all fun in most places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kryogen wrote: »
    @ Paul

Fully agree, we get a few English lads in to watch the games and though the regulars would often give them a jeer and a wind up they just gave back as good as they got and that would be it! Now they come in to watch Irish games too to slag the lads, its all fun in most places

Aye its all about the attitude you take.

Anyone who is being OTT is generally told to STFU by others around them

Advertisement