Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting the best from a buffet

• 22-06-2012 2:01pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had an all-you-can-eat Vietnamese* buffet for lunch. It was actually pretty good and included as much freshly cooked meat and veg as you wanted along with about a hundred pre-cooked dishes, desserts and what have you. Typically, I had four plates' worth and left with a pain in my gut but somehow there was a nagging feeling that I could have done better.

What are your techniques for getting the most out of a buffet?

*also Chinese, Japanese and Whateverthehellaslongasithassoysauceitlldoese

What's your buffet plan of attack? 73 votes

A bit (or a lot) of everything
    0%
    Keep eating the nicest thing there
    32%
    donutheadhomerStupidLikeAFoxDravokivichxzantiAfricasmashA Primal NutmayotommoonflowerLizTHunchbackThe Big Red ButtonFinnLizzymoy83a fat guylesserspottedchloewestendgirlieBunShopVoyeurbb1234567Kolido 24 votes
    Concentrate on the most expensive food, avoid cheap carbs
    24%
    pickarooneyStupidLikeAFox[Deleted User]smashRadharc na SleibhteBajingox43r0Peetriksouthsiderosiebrokenhingemoy83westendgirlieBunShopVoyeurVicar in a tutuRothkoSappaJamieKCCOVohnsom Hofmee 18 votes
    Eat sensibly and enjoy your meal
    15%
    pickarooneyStupidLikeAFoxsmashMuffinsDagiant_midgetbrokenhingemoy83westendgirlieBunShopVoyeurRothkoSoulGuy 11 votes
    Some other wacky idea
    27%
    StupidLikeAFoxghostchantArcheron[Deleted User]smashmayotomNothingbetter2dMy name is URLtmc86JaneLaneproblemchimpAenaesmoy83annascottwestendgirlieBunShopVoyeurJohnMarstonRothkomikemac1Sea Filly 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Bags down the trousers.

Wait....what are we talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I had an all-you-can-eat Vietnamese* buffet for lunch. It was actually pretty good and included as much freshly cooked meat and veg as you wanted along with about a hundred pre-cooked dishes, desserts and what have you. Typically, I had four plates' worth and left with a pain in my gut but somehow there was a nagging feeling that I could have done better.

i eat what i like/need and then stop.

AH answer: tactical vomiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Ignore the starches as much as possible and stick to the meat and none if this salad ****e empty filler is all that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

starve yourself but drink loads of water to expand your stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I ask them what they think will be the next big rising stock and put all my money on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Some other wacky idea
    Find an eatery with a beer garden if possible and go on a sunny day (it may happen :D).

I used to go to a Tapas restaurant on a Saturday or Sunday. Head there about 12.30, order some food, bottle of wine and stay there till after 6pm eating and drinking with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

god gave us pockets for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

bring a wheelie bin then leave without paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Some other wacky idea
    I had an all-you-can-eat Vietnamese* buffet for lunch.

you ate from a buffet of vietnamese people? cannibalism must be making a comeback :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bring out the transporter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Got distracted while adding poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Some other wacky idea
    I voted for all because I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Some other wacky idea
    Boring option number four for me. There's only so much I can comfortably eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Some other wacky idea
    smash wrote: »

I'll have what ^^^^ he's having

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Cheek poaches, they'll eliminate soggy pockets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll be going to a Chinese place that's alright. Costs 7 quid and the food aint too bad for that price.

I've an idea of the stuff they've got that I like, but generally when I go to an All You Can Eat, I just fill up about a half of my plate or so each time I go up. Over filling the plate with as much as you can each time, you are just stressing and rushing yourself. Take your time, they keep cooking and bringing out more food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Maternity pants...............trust me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

blend it all into a fine paste, fashion it into clothing and wear it out of the restaurant

eat at your leisure

smash wrote: »

That's the spirit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Some other wacky idea
    This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvw-G4J4Y2c

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

This is one of the reasons why there are so many fat people in Ireland these days.

People stuffing themselves to capacity and then thinking it's a great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons why there are so many fat people in Ireland these days.

Pffft... you're just a strange doctor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Anyone care to mention a good buffet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ehm no, being a lazy fúck is why people get fat.

Also, I've never seen fat people at All You Can Eat places. Don't think they let'em in, sure it'll put the establishments out of business.

Now I may be a tad strange alright, but what I find downright peculiar is this quest fhat some people have to stuff themselves to the gullet.

My perscription?

Quarintine.

LCD wrote: »

Warren seems like a decent skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

stay away from the rice..then belt released & hit the floor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Some other wacky idea
    Try some, i repeat some, of everything. Eat until you feel satisfied, not to the point of bursting. Thats usually my plan in an all you can eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

It's disgusting when you think of it, just give people the incentive to stuff themselves like animals. That can't be good.

Also, I've never seen fat people at All You Can Eat places. Don't think they let'em in, sure it'll put the establishments out of business.

While I'd be all for it, I doubt they can bar you for being fat, wouldn't that be discrimination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some other wacky idea
    Was it actually all you can eat, or was it just a free buffet? I've been to a few in the past and they've never been all-you-can-eat.. there's no competitive element implied!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

LCD wrote: »
    Warren seems like a decent skin.

Phoebe outta friends always made me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the secret to an all you can eat is to take your time and eat little portions at a time. if its an indian buffet stay away from the bread and drink only water, sll other drink like coke fill you up.

Ehm no indeed.

People get fat because they stuff themselves like is beinfg advocated here I think you'll find.

Kolido wrote: »
    It's disgusting when you think of it, just give people the incentive to stuff themselves like animals. That can't be good.

Isn't it our body built in a way to support such over short periods?
    Kolido wrote: »
    While I'd be all for it, I doubt they can bar you for being fat, wouldn't that be discrimination?

No, it'll be the establishment expressing duty of care.

*incase you didn't notice, the line you referred to is broken up in 2 parts, the first is serious, the second, isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some people have difficulty putting on weight too, though many laugh/sneer at the thought of it being a problem. Bodybuilders have to eat loads, I read one site recommending you scoff it down as fast as possible. Your system takes time to recognise it has gotten an adequate amount of energy taken in, about 20mins some say. So for dieters slow eating is recommended, like a starter and a break so you do not overeat. For people looking to eat lots without this 'I'm full' mechanism taking hold they could eat really fast.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Bags down the trousers.
    Get a pair of these bad boys
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__HD9zxwIaN0/SpAz1umerQI/AAAAAAAAAH4/Xaque5wIoDs/s1600/034_buffet_pants.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

On rare occasions while it is not healthy for the body I think it is healthy for the mind to just go nut and binge eat the hell out of a buffet.

Advertisement