Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Child UK passport from UK Embassy in Dublin

• 22-06-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

We are expecting a child at the start of September but then need to travel at the end of September.

Has anyone experience of getting a UK passport from the UK Embassy in Dublin?

On one page it says the processing time is 10 days and on another page it says 4 to 6 weeks so it is a little confusing. I will ring them but just wanted to see if anyone has done this and how long it took them?

I, the father am a UK citizen and UK passport holder. Wife is from Azerbaijan.

Would appreciate anyone's feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmmm, can't speak for your situation exactly but I did have to get an Irish passport from the Irish embassy in Dublin for my daughter to travel when she was six weeks old. This was at the time when the passport office was on strike and there were delays of months.

I sent a letter to the embassy along with the passport form and photos, explaining the problem and the passport arrived back with us 4 days later :) I was shocked and delighted to see that humanity hadn't deserted the people in the embassy :)

My general experience of passports is that there is a 10-day 'expedited' service provided in a lot of countries and this is generally not a problem. If your passport application form has a serial number I suggest you note it, send the completed form and photos and then call the UK embassy and ask to speak to someone about it. Be advised though that regulations regarding photographs have changed (at least in Ireland) since I first got a passport. I think the UK rules are similar to Ireland. The baby's eyes must be open and looking as straight ahead as possible.

We had our baby lying down on a white cushion in the shop where we got the passport photos and thankfully the photo was perfect first time :)

I would also suggest that you get an application form now and complete as much of it as possible now so that there are no mistakes if you are rushing at the last minute. If your wife requires any visas or anything make sure you have everything sorted out now. Last thing you need is a problem at the last minute. Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

I'm a UK citizen living in Dublin, and my passport ran out a couple of years ago, and I renewed it through the UK embassy. It only took 2-3 working days for them to process and send out the new passport. Of course, that was for a renewal, which is maybe an easier process than applying for a brand new passport.

As was noted above, do pay special attention to the photo regulations, as they are really strict about them! I believe the baby has to be photographed on a plain white background, and they're not allowed to smile or blink - so be prepared to take a few shots before you get a usable one.

The other think I would say is that applying through the UK Embassy is significantly more expensive than applying through the passport office in the UK. If you have a UK postal address for the passport to be delivered to, it would be cheaper to apply in the UK.

Advertisement