Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clamped!

• 22-06-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

so i was clamped overnight, but on the private grounds of the appartment block where i live, the security guard says they have no authority to do this, and when it happens he tells people to break it off??:confused:

where would that leave me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

possibly done for criminal damage, should you be caught

otherwise, chopped clamp in the boot, up the mountains and have it dig its own grave at gunpoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I have no idea.
    Those stupid fuckwits seriously pi$$ me off.
    I'm not sure if this is true, but I think you have to pay the fine, and then apply for it back.
    Just ring the company and see what they say.
    I wouldn't be breaking it off if I were you - just incase you end up in court with a bigger fine or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pay up, then wait until they come to take off your clamp, then lock a chain to their wheel and tell them it's €120 release fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Take the clamp off and sell it for scrap. clamping is still illegal in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

cut it off OP, they have no legal right to interfere with your car

get some good bolt cutters and go to town on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Burn your car out and then claim off the insurance.

You'd be killing two birds with the one stone or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Cut it off. PIck up one of those big cutters in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Vehicle clamping is in place in the cities of Dublin, Cork and Galway. Services are operated in these cities by private companies on behalf of the local authority. Employees of the vehicle clamping company are entitled to clamp (and de-clamp vehicles) and issue clamping notices for vehicles that are in violation of the parking regulations. Clamping services are also common in car parks of hotels, hospitals, universities and shopping centres to discourage long-term parking at the expense of staff, customers or clients. Clamping on private property is not covered by legislation and the legality of clamping on private property is unclear.

thats the offical line on the citizens advice page.
    it was parked in a shopping bay which, when the shop closes @ 10pm become parking. shop opens at 7am and i went out just before 8.

reckon ill ring them in a hail of fury, and depending on the result of the conversation, the clamp will be removed.
    but i promise those people will not get a cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

call them out and pay the fine after they remove the clamp throw poo at them, it wont get your money back but at least you'll feel better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

davet82 wrote: »
    call them out and pay the fine after they remove the clamp throw poo at them, it wont get your money back but at least you'll feel better

and dont forget the camera

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

davet82 wrote: »

Or else you could get someone to hold him down and then stick a U lock around his neck.

Only agree to remove it until he gives you your money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Set fire to the car. That'll learn 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    Or else you could get someone to hold him down and then stick a U lock around his neck.

Only agree to remove it until he gives you your money back.

a little poo never hurt anyone, you just went to far mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

My brother keeps a very clear and visible sign in his drivers side window that goes along the lines of saying:

'any clamp, or other immobilising equipment placed on this vehicle its entirely at owners risk. I reserve the right to remove said items, and cannot guarantee equipments safety'

(can't remember exactly how its worded, but its seemingly doing the trick, as he's yet to be clamped, despite repeatedly parking in known hot spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I heard a story, don't know how true it is but it does sound rather brilliant. A fella got clamped and rang the company to come and take it off, when they arrived he had a bit of a verbal argument with your man in the end he said he would pay to have it removed, he then asked the clamper for his phone do he could ring a family member to bring down some cash as he didn't have enough on him. Once the clamper handed over the phone he laughed at him and told him that as soon as he removed the clamp he could have his phone back. Clamper had no way to call anyone for help and eventually removed the clamp in return for the phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Ghandee wrote: »
    My brother keeps a very clear and visible sign in his drivers side window that goes along the lines of saying:

'any clamp, or other immobilising equipment placed on this vehicle its entirely at owners risk. I reserve the right to remove said items, and cannot guarantee equipments safety'

(can't remember exactly how its worded, but its seemingly doing the trick, as he's yet to be clamped, despite repeatedly parking in known hot spots.
    i'd doubt that keeps clamps off his car to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

so i ring the bloke and tell him he has no legal right to park on private properity.
    he tells me they do as their stickers are up all around the area!

sure fook it ill put up stickers i am introducing prima nocte like feckin longshanks!
    by jebus that clamp is coming off now anyway:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

squod wrote: »

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

TheBody wrote: »

Thanks for that TheBody, was the best read I've had in ages :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

Clamping isnt carried out in Galway for the council, the harbour company own a large car parking area & they clamp & a number of private operaters clamp in private residential complexes, but city council dont clamp or allow clampers anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Faith+1 wrote: »
    squod wrote: »

????
    It's not actually true just some people read the law that way. Never proven in a court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

just buy 4 clamps yourself and every time you park illegally clamp each of your wheels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

just take the feckin clamp off and get out of there.. by the way, they have a habit of watching from nearby so wait until the game is on this evening when their lard ar$es will be on the high stools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If it's one of these just jack up your car, let the air out of the tyre, lock the steering fully left or right and pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use Motors forum please. Also under Rec.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement