Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone accessories to be made obsolete!

• 22-06-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Why fix something that is not broke?

http://bigginsblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/all-iphone-accessories-to-be-made-obsolete/
    It looks like Apple is about to pee off the world yet again – only this time its going to be its already built up customer base. The ones that have forked out already huge amounts for their expensive stuff!

Outraged iPhone owners are flocking online to complain about the reports that Apple has decided to radically alter the size of the connector in the next iPhone, which is expected to be launched in October.

Speakers, docks and other expensive accessories costing hundreds of dollars would be rendered useless by the move, along with cheaper add-ons such as chargers. Even cars with the current connector built in would need to be upgraded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Access wrote: »
    Why fix something that is not broke?

http://bigginsblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/all-iphone-accessories-to-be-made-obsolete/
    It looks like Apple is about to pee off the world yet again – only this time its going to be its already built up customer base. The ones that have forked out already huge amounts for their expensive stuff!

Outraged iPhone owners are flocking online to complain about the reports that Apple has decided to radically alter the size of the connector in the next iPhone, which is expected to be launched in October.

Speakers, docks and other expensive accessories costing hundreds of dollars would be rendered useless by the move, along with cheaper add-ons such as chargers. Even cars with the current connector built in would need to be upgraded.

I bet it ships with a dongle allowing you to use the old connector.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Will someone not just build an adaptor and make a fotune selling it?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,771 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont think this is apples fault to be fair.
    An EU ruling or something similiar (an agreement between phone manufacturers to comply with an eu directive) meant that all phones from a certain point will need to have the same standard charging interface. This is to save consumers money (in the long run) on chargers accessories etc........
    Its a micro usb standard which a lot of the other smartphones use I believe.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/eu-adopts-microusb-cell-phone-charger-standard/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/159630/universal_chargers_to_finally_become_a_reality.html

I assume apply are becoming part of this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

kippy wrote: »
    I dont think this is apples fault to be fair.
    An EU ruling or something similiar (an agreement between phone manufacturers to comply with an eu directive) meant that all phones from a certain point will need to have the same standard charging interface. This is to save consumers money (in the long run) on chargers accessories etc........
    Its a micro usb standard which a lot of the other smartphones use I believe.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/eu-adopts-microusb-cell-phone-charger-standard/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/159630/universal_chargers_to_finally_become_a_reality.html

I assume apply are becoming part of this group.
    Nope, they're rumoured to be using their own proprietary port which is slightly smaller than the current offering.

I'd imagine that new products that ship (iPad, iPhone and iPod) will come with an adapter but you'll have to purchase additional ones separately... and they won't be cheap either.

I'll be slightly annoyed having spent years amassing a collection of chargers for the house to make sure I never have to go too far to find one!

AdMMM wrote: »
    Nope, they're rumoured to be using their own proprietary port which is slightly smaller than the current offering.

I'd imagine that new products that ship (iPad, iPhone and iPod) will come with an adapter but you'll have to purchase additional ones separately... and they won't be cheap either.

I'll be slightly annoyed having spent years amassing a collection of chargers for the house to make sure I never have to go too far to find one!
    Fair enough, maybe the rumour has been "chinese whispered" a bit and they are actually just going to a microUSB standard.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I bet it ships with a dongle allowing you to use the old connector.

I hope so... otherwise a lot of ebay purchases ive made will be rendered useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Dont upgrade - easy for me to say, Im not an Apple worshipper! Despite having a 4S, 3GS and iPad in the house. These can fade into oblivion over the next few years.

I think its time to move away from this arrogant twat of a company!

Android for me next.

Access wrote: »
    I hope so... otherwise a lot of ebay purchases ive made will be rendered useless.

If the "rumour" is to be taken at face value, and based on the article you linked to, it does appear that apply providing an official converter will make this change pointless.
    The whole "point" of the change according to the rumour is to ensure unofficial additions will be rendered useless due to some "chip" in the new iphone port.
    Obviously it may be possible to get around this but that would render the change a bit pointless from Apples POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Its just a smaller version of the current 30 pin connector which has been around since the 3rd generation iPod. The reason for the change is to allow for more space within the product and to reduce the overall dimensions.

As people have said, there will be all sorts of adaptors on the market in no time so no major deal really...

"After long rumors that the old 30-pin port connector on all current iOS devices would be replaced soon, TechCrunch has independently verified with three sources that a new, smaller 19-pin port will debut with the new iPhone. According to TechCrunch, three manufacturers independently agreed that the new 19-pin dock port, which currently has an unknown form factor and size, is currently in the works. Its introduction, likely with the new iPhone this fall, would have major repercussions on the huge accessory market for iOS devices. Obviously, accessory manufacturers would be greatly affected by such a dramatic change in hardware interface.
    The new port is rumored to be similar in size to the new Thunderbolt ports, according to some leaked videos. However, TechCrunch's sources claim that the pin-out of the new iPhone port will be different from Thunderbolt's.
    ipod_connector.jpg
    Look at how thick those iPods used to be!
    The current 30-pin connector ports were introduced with the third-generation iPod, all the way back in April of 2003. Since then, it has become the standard for the iOS family of devices: the various models of iPods, iPhones and iPads have all sported the same connector. It's a natural inevitability that the new ports will eventually become the new standard on all these product lines, meaning hundreds of millions of Apple 30-pin cables could suddenly be made obsolete in a few short months, all in the name of saving space in Apple's new devices."

http://www.neowin.net/news/techcrunch-confirms-new-iphone-connector-port

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As usual, this is being completely overblown, which isn't entirely surprising given that the source for that blog post is the Daily Mail.

The current connector is too big. Apple were going to change it sooner or later. There will be adapters so you can continue using your old accessories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This is a bit daft. Even if it's true - everybody's current devices will still all work with their current iPhone.

People can't expect Apple to never change their standard (oversized) port. Better do it now than next year or the year after when people have even more stuff with the big plug.
    Even cars with the current connector built in would need to be upgraded.
    What type of car connector would need to be upgraded? That sounds like bollox to me. USB, minijack and BT would still all be standard. Only the bit that goes into the iPhone would change size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Gather your torches and pitchforks! There's a lynching afoot!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dades wrote: »

What type of car connector would need to be upgraded? That sounds like bollox to me. USB, minijack and BT would still all be standard. Only the bit that goes into the iPhone would change size.

I've seen car stereos with iphone cables hard wired to the sysytem.

but point of order:

The public already has had to suffer over their DRM placed on music

isnt itunes music drm free now?

I agree, time for the 30 pin connector to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I wouldn't worry too much as the Chinese will have a cheap dongle available all over ebay within hours of it going on release. Remember in China Copyright does not mean the same thing as it does to us, the chinese look at it as a " Right to copy "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

i thought apple jumped on board with the eu universal charger ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I wouldn't worry too much as the Chinese will have a cheap dongle available all over ebay within hours of it going on release. Remember in China Copyright does not mean the same thing as it does to us, the chinese look at it as a " Right to copy "

Hope it doesn't set my car on fire...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

massy086 wrote: »
    i thought apple jumped on board with the eu universal charger ????
    They did. Here it is:

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MD099

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Waterbeds

Apple will have it all covered with the likes of these iPhone micro USB adapters. Signal sucks? Ok heres a free bumper. New micro USB standard, ok here have one of these....i have a feeling that something similar may be found in the box when you pick up your new iphone....and besides that, you know damn well all apple fans will buy what they need...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They didn't really though, did they? That's no handier than having one cable for your <whatever device>, another for your iPhone and a USB plug. It would be far handier if it was a genuine micro USB port, rather than another proprietary format.

I'm not Apple bashing - I know that other companies are guilty of using their own plugs, but it's really annoying if you're a sucker for gadgets as I am. Especially if you travel frequently.

I agree. It was my understanding that the micro USB port would have to be on the phone itself, so I was surprised when the European Commission seemed happy enough with Apple offering an adapter. It would be different if it came with the phone, but it doesn't. I doubt most people even know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ah sorry - you just meant that they met their legal obligation, rather than actually implemented it.

Part of the reason I stayed with an iPhone is because I have some accessories that I like (my wife got me a really nice alarm clock docking station etc). An adapter thing might work - if unwieldy and ugly. But if it didn't work, then I'd be much more inclined to look at other brands when I upgrade. I wonder if other people would feel the same.

Slightly off topic - but it seems that even micro USB is not really that universal. I've noticed differences in the lengths of some of the connections, which has meant I've had to have different micro USB chargers for different devices. Complete PITA.

Advertisement