Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go german or irish?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Attempting my 4th build here in a year and i would like to go Irish instead of hardwareversand. Mainly due to my clients not wanting to do bank transfer. It is wierd isnt it?
    Where would you guys recommend?

Im looking at a 64bit sandybridge, ssd drive, on board graphics for an engeneering company

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It's not weird. The 'engeneering' company may want to claim vat back and it would be a lot easier with an Irish company.

Why would an engineering company want onboard graphics? Surely a lot of their work would be GPU based?

I'm going to be a bit mean and just put this out there: Did your mam not want to have to do a bank transfer and you're asking for somewhere you can just use a credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Lol - you've found me out Murder she wrote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

lol , well maplin if you want to have your wallet raped :p,

otherwise if you can use paypal, credit card

www.dabs.ie
    www.komplett.ie

uk
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It's not weird. The 'engeneering' company may want to claim vat back and it would be a lot easier with an Irish company.

Why would an engineering company want onboard graphics? Surely a lot of their work would be GPU based?

I'm going to be a bit mean and just put this out there: Did your mam not want to have to do a bank transfer and you're asking for somewhere you can just use a credit card?

Most engineering software isn't gpu accelerated, only when you are doing 3d renders etc. A lot of cpu heavy hydraulic modelling software etc. I remember some of the models took about a week to run on a core2 maxed out before you could get results.

Depends on the engineering - fluid dynamics for the mech engs would be similar, structural analysis progams etc.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Most engineering software isn't gpu accelerated, only when you are doing 3d renders etc. A lot of cpu heavy hydraulic modelling software etc. I remember some of the models took about a week to run on a core2 maxed out before you could get results.

Depends on the engineering - fluid dynamics for the mech engs would be similar, structural analysis progams etc.

I was just poking holes in his story :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

just curious, is it easier to claim the VAT back if bought through an Irish company than the German one?

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    just curious, is it easier to claim the VAT back if bought through an Irish company than the German one?

Language barrier to get the proper invoice or whatever you would need! There would also be a different VAT rate so you would have to do something different! You would also be claiming back vat from a different country (I think?) so there would be some problem there maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Its awful hassle to do a bank transfer to a german company...

Its opening CAD drawings all day. Doesnt need any kind of top end GPU, but does need a semi decent processor and an SSD drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

this is slightly off topic but my brother is doing a PhD and for the modeling they do, the college supplied Dell would take a full day to get the job done. I built him a €500 AMD X6 based rig and it gets the same job done in 45min. you could even do it cheaper but I splashed on SSDs etc.

sad thing is the uni probably paid €500 for its Dells.

Advertisement