Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish - Who is responsible?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I currently rent in a private estate

I need to go down and alley way to get into the back of my house

This alleyway provides access to 4 houses

When we moved in there were 4 black bin liners of rubbish at the back

No idea who owned it but had my suspicions

Fast forward a few weeks and we notice smell in our garden

Our neighbours bins sitting outside in his garden not in bins

So I rang the council and it turns out you can store rubbish in your back garden for 6 months so long as its not visible from a public street (which it wasnt)

Now today, his garden is clean and rubbish is gone, however, 4 more bags have appeared in the alleyway

Cats have pulled them apart and there is rubbish everywhere, its disgusting.

Now while I have no proof, I have my obvious suspicions

My question relates to who is responsible for cleaning this up?

The council?

Or the residents association to whom look after the upkeep of the estate (each house pays a fee)

The problem with the latter is that I dont think my landlord has paid the fee so I cant exactly ring up and demand its cleaned, I pay my fee etc.......

Any advice?

Seperate from this I'm going to try and setup a camera to catch the dirty f$%kers that are doing this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

call the litter warden, they'll put on gloves and get an envelope or something out of the bin to prove where it came from.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Their title is environmental control officer :)
    As per above- they will go through the bags and eventually find something with an address on it (there is almost always something) and the offendor will get a court summons in the post for their efforts.

With respect of storing waste in your back garden- while allowable- there are also rules associated with this (principally relating to vermin control, but including malodours and other provisions). Discuss this with the environmental health officer too!

Advertisement