Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bank for Students

Options
  • 22-06-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on this from those who know a little more! I'm looking to open (ashamedly my first) bank account as hopefully I'll be moving away from home next September. I've always entrusted my money in the hands of the Credit Union and have never had any difficulty with them whatsoever. But I need a current account now as I'm being paid by Paypal (and you need a bank account for that) and when away I'll need access to an ATM, for the copious amount of Tesco rich tea and whatnot.

Basically I want a bank that offer a decent, upfront service, and offer a current account with ATM and Paypal facilities, as well as direct debt (In case I get a proper job when I get to college!)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

prob boi

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm with Ulster Bank, with a Student Account, and apart from not getting paid today due to the IT issues I've had no problems so far. I like it because of the Visa Debit card. It works like a Laser card, as it deducts money straight from yoru account when you make a transaction, and you can't overdraw an account, but unlike Laser it is accepted everywhere that Visa (credit card) is accepted - which makes it ideal for things like online shopping (Visa is accepted by practically every website) and for point-of-sale transactions in other countries (and also ATMs in other countries, but almost any card from any bank works in foreign ATMs).

There are other banks offering Visa Debit cards now: Bank of Ireland and PTSB as far as I know - I'm not sure about the student options in those banks though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Bank of ireland for me, especially now they replaced all laser with visa debit... been on a student account nearly 9 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Thanks for all the replies :) I've been mulling over my options for a while and I think Ulster Bank is the best to go with for me (Even though they're backed by RBS who everytime I look at the Beeb seem to be paying ridiculous bonuses!). Just gotta make sure I don't fall into the trap of staying with them my whole life! Thanks again everyone :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement