Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Un-fair Treatment in the workplace?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Right, so I work in a position, the job i work for has a policy going at the moment that clearly states no pay rises and if you ask for one your gaurenteed a no..!! My position entails looking after 10projects simultaneously with quite a lot of ad-hoc work added to it...a colleagues job entails of looking after 2projects with less importance and a slight bit of ad-hoc work to it.. and i would be considered the lead on the team that i work for.. this colleague went to hand in their notice of termination unless the company match the salary of the company that has offered her a new job.. there was a significant increase...we would have been on the same salary at the time.. since then, our company has matched the other companies salary and it was obviously leaked to me how much the increase was.. un-happy with this i went and asked for a raise myself but was declined... is this un-fair treatment or am i being too sensitive?.. and do i have options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Your colleague had leverage, you have none. They made an exception as they were over a barrel, for you the standard rules still apply. Unfortunately this is the way these things work, fair or not.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Right, so I work in a position, the job i work for has a policy going at the moment that clearly states no pay rises and if you ask for one your gaurenteed a no..!! My position entails looking after 10projects simultaneously with quite a lot of ad-hoc work added to it...a colleagues job entails of looking after 2projects with less importance and a slight bit of ad-hoc work to it.. and i would be considered the lead on the team that i work for.. this colleague went to hand in their notice of termination unless the company match the salary of the company that has offered her a new job.. there was a significant increase...we would have been on the same salary at the time.. since then, our company has matched the other companies salary and it was obviously leaked to me how much the increase was.. un-happy with this i went and asked for a raise myself but was declined... is this un-fair treatment or am i being too sensitive?.. and do i have options?

Go for the job the other person declined? Play them as they did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It is not unfair treatment.
    Do the same yourself.
    Go to company B - once you have been offered a job, resign from company A.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where did you get the notion that you are entitled to be treated fairly?

Not bullied - yes.
    Not discriminated against based on certain specific grounds (age, sex, race ...etc) - yes.

Otherwise - nope, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

dazberry wrote: »
    Your colleague had leverage, you have none. They made an exception as they were over a barrel, for you the standard rules still apply. Unfortunately this is the way these things work, fair or not.

I agree.

You are setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment if you expect the workplace to be "fair". I know this seems wrong but it is how it goes...

In my experience salary and "what you're worth" tend to be out of sync. For example, I used to work with a Chinese guy who was brilliant yet was paid peanuts, whereas one of his colleagues who was utterly useless (100% waste of space) earned a ridiculously high salary. Some might say it was unfair, some might say he had poor negotiation skills...

If I were you I would do as poisonedstream suggested and see if you can move to the better paying job, especially if you're the type of person who won't be able to let this go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Your clever enough to run ten projects and be head of your team yet you can't figure this out.Something does'nt fit.

Advertisement