Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-Spec Gaming PC - Advice Needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

800W is overkill.

As for the monitor, I'd much rather have 2560x1440 resolution than 120hz. Take a look in the Catleap thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

800W is overkill.

As for the monitor, I'd much rather have 2560x1440 resolution than 120hz. Take a look in the Catleap thread.

The PSU I selected is only €15 more than the 650w version. It's future proofing in case I decide to Sli with a 2nd gpu.

From what I've read on other sites, 120hz gives definite advantages for fps games, many people in the past found a marked reduction in performance changing from CRTs to lower refresh flatscreens in previous years.

Is there a real need for superhigh 2560x1440 for a gaming rig though? Would that not be more useful for video/photo editing work?

The other problem with catleap is the fact they're being dispatched from the other side of the world, seems a lot of hassle and import duty fees aren't known.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Is there a real need for superhigh 2560x1440 for a gaming rig though? Would that not be more useful for video/photo editing work?

The other problem with catleap is the fact they're being dispatched from the other side of the world, seems a lot of hassle and import duty fees aren't known.

I don't think 2x 670s require 800W, you could probably get a part modular 650/750W for that money - look at the XFX XXX Editions.

More resolution is ALWAYS good! :pac:

I understand the issue with the catleap, but everybody that got one here seems to be happy with it, and the import fee isn't going to get near the price of that Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

SLIing GTX 670's can be done on a 650 watt, even if you overclock your CPU. Don't get a 800 watt, get this

Have a look at the Guru3D review of 2 way SLI, they measure 433 watts at full stress. Coupled with the fact that they're using an overclocked first gen i7, I'd say you'd be fine :)

Eboggles wrote: »
    SLIing GTX 670's can be done on a 650 watt, even if you overclock your CPU. Don't get a 800 watt, get this

Have a look at the Guru3D review of 2 way SLI, they measure 433 watts at full stress. Coupled with the fact that they're using an overclocked first gen i7, I'd say you'd be fine :)

What's so good about that psu you linked? It's only €9 cheaper and tbh I have no idea what actice power factor correction is.

• Advertisement

I don't think 2x 670s require 800W, you could probably get a part modular 650/750W for that money - look at the XFX XXX Editions.

More resolution is ALWAYS good! :pac:

I understand the issue with the catleap, but everybody that got one here seems to be happy with it, and the import fee isn't going to get near the price of that Samsung.

More resolution is never a bad thing, but refresh rate is also desireable for my build. Can you get catleap with better than the bog standard 60hz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

What's so good about that psu you linked? It's only €9 cheaper and tbh I have no idea what actice power factor correction is.

It''s not a waste of power ;). When dealing with lower loads, large PSU's can be very inefficient thus losing you a lot of money, and the fact that they are more expensive to buy than their lower wattage counterparts means that there's no point in getting one unless you're doing some crazy multi-CF or SLI, and overclocking a 3960x to 5ghz. And lots of watercooling, fans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Just a word of warning the Macho is a bitch to install

NTMK wrote: »
    Just a word of warning the Macho is a bitch to install

Any suggestions for a better alternative then? Basically I want to o/c the i-5 ivybridge from the standard 3.4 ghz up to 4.4 ghz, preferably not having to use watercooling or any of those cryo setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i have a Be Quiet Dark rock pro 2 in my new rig and its excellent keeps my 3770k (standard 3.5 Ghz) thats oc'd to 4.6 Ghz nice and cool and its very very quiet

apparently the Phanteks PH-TC14PE. is slightly better but its loud and more expensive

http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/309

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

More resolution is never a bad thing, but refresh rate is also desireable for my build. Can you get catleap with better than the bog standard 60hz?

I recently got three SA950D's, and would recommend them. I thought long and hard about getting U2412's, U2711's and Catleaps instead. For a finish I chose the samsung's because getting decent FPS at 5760 x 1920 was possible with xfire 7970's and 2500k.
    For a res of 7680 x 1440-while the monitors would be cheaper if I went with the Catleaps, it would mean going X79 and tri xfire/SLI GPU's, bigger PSU etc. so way more expensive and over budget for me.

I wanted to try 120Hz and I'm delighted I did. Running the I5 @ 4.5Ghz and the 7970's at 1050/1450 mem. I can get 85FPS average in BF3 with most settings on ultra-and this is the most resource hungry game I play. Older games hit the 100-120 FPS easy.

Edit: If you want to go with 120Hz and 23", there is the S23A750D or the BenQ XL2420T.

glynf wrote: »
    I recently got three SA950D's, and would recommend them. I thought long and hard about getting U2412's, U2711's and Catleaps instead. For a finish I chose the samsung's because getting decent FPS at 5760 x 1920 was possible with xfire 7970's and 2500k.
    For a res of 7680 x 1440-while the monitors would be cheaper if I went with the Catleaps, it would mean going X79 and tri xfire/SLI GPU's, bigger PSU etc. so way more expensive and over budget for me.

I wanted to try 120Hz and I'm delighted I did. Running the I5 @ 4.5Ghz and the 7970's at 1050/1450 mem. I can get 85FPS average in BF3 with most settings on ultra-and this is the most resource hungry game I play. Older games hit the 100-120 FPS easy.

Edit: If you want to go with 120Hz and 23", there is the S23A750D or the BenQ XL2420T.

The 23" samsung was available on hwvs for about €270 until recently. It doesn't even seem to be listed now unfortunately.

However, since I'm not going multiscreen setup, I think I may just get a 27" after all.

The one you have http://www1.hardwareversand.de/68+cm+%2827%29+/49457/Samsung+SyncMaster+S27A950D.article is just over €500, but there's another samsung 27" http://www1.hardwareversand.de/68+cm+%2827%29+/49460/Samsung+SyncMaster+S27A750D.article available for over €50 cheaper.

The only differences seems to be the base, (and tbh I'm not a fan of the 950's base) and perhaps more importantly, the 750 doesn't seem to have the DVI port.

I was plannning on getting a 670 card for my pc build. Will this card work ok for the samsungs @ 120hz? I heard that they were designed for amd cards, but that may be only in relation to the 3d aspects, which I'm not really interested in tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

The 23" samsung was available on hwvs for about €270 until recently. It doesn't even seem to be listed now unfortunately.

However, since I'm not going multiscreen setup, I think I may just get a 27" after all.

The one you have http://www1.hardwareversand.de/68+cm+%2827%29+/49457/Samsung+SyncMaster+S27A950D.article is just over €500, but there's another samsung 27" http://www1.hardwareversand.de/68+cm+%2827%29+/49460/Samsung+SyncMaster+S27A750D.article available for over €50 cheaper.

The only differences seems to be the base, (and tbh I'm not a fan of the 950's base) and perhaps more importantly, the 750 doesn't seem to have the DVI port.

I was plannning on getting a 670 card for my pc build. Will this card work ok for the samsungs @ 120hz? I heard that they were designed for amd cards, but that may be only in relation to the 3d aspects, which I'm not really interested in tbh.

It depends on what game, but the 670 will be fine for a 120hz screen. You don't have to get 120hz all the time, personally I can't perceive any difference once its over 100 FPS anyway.

Word of warning about the S27A750D, it only has HDMI and DisplayPort inputs, no DVI-D. As HDMI is 60Hz only, if you want three screens at 120hz you will need GPU(s) that have three DisplayPort/mini DisplayPort outputs.

Just saw the bit about 3D-you are right, Samsung's do not play nicely with Nvidia surround. I'm the same as that no interest whatsoever in 3D, but if I want it the built in Samsung 3D is good enough.

glynf wrote: »
    It depends on what game, but the 670 will be fine for a 120hz screen. You don't have to get 120hz all the time, personally I can't perceive any difference once its over 100 FPS anyway.

Word of warning about the S27A750D, it only has HDMI and DisplayPort inputs, no DVI-D. As HDMI is 60Hz only, if you want three screens at 120hz you will need GPU(s) that have three DisplayPort/mini DisplayPort outputs.

Just saw the bit about 3D-you are right, Samsung's do not play nicely with Nvidia surround. I'm the same as that no interest whatsoever in 3D, but if I want it the built in Samsung 3D is good enough.

Well I only want 1 new screen, and maybe keep my old dell 19" lcd (via DVI connection).

Alternatively, I notice the Benq XL2420T is going on amazon for £260, which isn't a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

Well I only want 1 new screen, and maybe keep my old dell 19" lcd (via DVI connection).

Alternatively, I notice the Benq XL2420T is going on amazon for £260, which isn't a bad price.

The benq is only 24", but the 3d probably supports nvidia. If you're into 3d the glasses with this one have to be bought seperately though.

Anyone here on boards.ie have one of these screens btw??

Advertisement