Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question For Christians

• 22-06-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

This is something I'm quite curious about regarding christianity; or I suppose any faith.

Do you think that all other religions are wrong?

I assume that people who consider themselves Christians would not believe that Allah or Vishnu exists.

If your answer is that you believe other religions are wrong then why do you think Christianity is the one among thousands which is correct? And if you were born into Christianity do you think that it was a coincidence that you were born into the religion you believe is the correct one?

Thanks, interested to hear your replies.

Do you believe other religions to be wrong? 27 votes

Yes. I believe the God as described in the Bible is the only God and others don't exist
    0% 0 votes
    I believe other religions are just as likely to be correct as my own
    44% 12 votes
    I believe there is one God which all world religions are striving to understand
    3% 1 vote
    I don't believe in any religion
    51% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

(c) Basically... but of course some more so than others, and some are more successful than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Yeah, I'd go for the third option too. Most world religions are seeking to understand the divine in some way, and there is some truth in most religions. OF course, Christians would say that Christianity is closer to the truth than the others (if it weren't, what would be the point)!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NaasPreacher

I too voted for 'C'.

Though I don't really believe in 'religion' as such. I believe in a personal, individual faith for each believer in the one true God.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Questions are very limited.. What to you mean by Religions? Christians and Jews believe in the same God. But that does not mean we are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd go for the third option too. Most world religions are seeking to understand the divine in some way, and there is some truth in most religions.
    What is this 'truth' that exists in other religions?

Is it the basic human principle of essentially being a decent human being?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd go for the third option too. Most world religions are seeking to understand the divine in some way, and there is some truth in most religions.

There is that, and there's the idea of a higher power that is the source of existence that many religions share. In particular, Christianity, Judaism and Islam would have a lot in common, along with the Bahai faith and Zoroastrianism.

There is that, and there's the idea of a higher power that is the source of existence that many religions share. In particular, Christianity, Judaism and Islam would have a lot in common, along with the Bahai faith and Zoroastrianism.
    There does seem to be a lot of copying of Zorastrianism going on.

There does seem to be a lot of copying of Zorastrianism going on.

It's had it's influences alright - there will always be a certain amount of cross-pollination between cultures and faiths, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Zoroastrianism is still around today, although it has almost vanished in Iran.

I would say possibly, but many Christians say that this 'decent human being' is impossible apart from God's work in a person.

I would say possibly, but many Christians say that this 'decent human being' is impossible apart from God's work in a person.
    Many Christians try to ascribe solely to Christianity universal human values. Do you think they are right to?

• Advertisement

Many Christians try to ascribe solely to Christianity universal human values. Do you think they are right to?

Personally, I don't think that it's correct to ascribe those universal values to Christianity as they are shared by people of all faiths and none, including those who have never heard of Jesus Christ or met a Christian. But I would say that I belive those value have a source in a loving God, and that isn't only a Christian concept.

Personally, I don't think that it's correct to ascribe those universal values to Christianity as they are shared by people of all faiths and none, including those who have never heard of Jesus Christ or met a Christian. But I would say that I belive those value have a source in a loving God, and that isn't only a Christian concept.

Good reply - I would agree with this completely.

However, I think this falls short of some vital truths, but to go there would drag this off topic :)

none, including those who have never heard of Jesus Christ or met a Christian. But I would say that I belive those value have a source in a loving God, and that isn't only a Christian concept.
    Indeed - each religion will ascribe anything good to their own god or gods. That's hardly surprising, is it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I want to tick both (a) and (c) - but the poll won't let me.

Also, it seems a bit off the wall to have a poll entitled "A Question for Christians" and then make 'I have no religion' as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

As a Christian, I believe that everybody has a sense or desire or some kind of emptiness that can only be filled by God, no matter how much knowledge or wisdom. As a Christian, I would say that there is some, vast amounts of truth in many religions. The word, 'Religion' is not a bad word, it is a misunderstood one by those with no religion I think at times - and sometimes that's why others view those with no religion as ironically 'religious'....which is odd, but true.

I think it would be pretty daft to think that people don't think for themselves these days except for those who are not religious, but it's ok to think that on the way I suppose - The world is much smaller now though.

I can truly say in a smaller world it's more obvious (to me) that being a Christian is as pertinent to humanity as ever it was - more pertinent and more urgent in fact. There is no other person in history you can either accept or reject quite the same way as Jesus Christ, there is no other God died on a cross to prove he loves not only me, but you and everybody - but so many don't even begin until something happens in their life to even think a little about that - Yet they appreciate the love of others and life...and never think whether it's really real or not, something noble and why?. It's odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Part of me wanted to put C down, but I just couldn't.

Yes, a lot of people can quite sincerely seek after higher truth. However, the problem lies in that all religions can't be true. Islam claims that Jesus was not the only begotten Son of God, and that He was crucified and resurrected, or that He died to save us from sin. Therefore, I can conclude that Christianity and Islam do not teach the same thing about God. Islam does not teach that Jesus was Lord, that is God in human flesh, and that He was crucified for our sins.

All faiths can't be valid because they all contradict each other. On the other hand this serves as no proof of atheism, just because other faiths may be wrong does not mean that atheism is correct.

As a Christian, I can see difficulties in voting for anything other than A, because Christianity teaches that it is true, there are no other God's apart from the Lord, and that Jesus is the only way to know the Father in truth. Voting for anything other than A seems to deny the significance of Jesus' crucifixion on the cross, and His resurrection. That is through His death we died to sin, and through the resurrection we've come to new life in Him.

This truth brings us on a journey that can be difficult, but it is what the Christian life is going to be about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

there should be one more option *none of the above.

Asa catholic I would have clicked that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

there should be one more option *none of the above.

Asa catholic I would have clicked that

Can you explain this further?

Also I now realise the "I have no religion" is a pointless option. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

I assume that people who consider themselves Christians would not believe that Allah exists.

He does exist, Allah is God same like Yahweh, it is just different name for God. Whether you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim, we all pray to the one God.

The Sky wrote: »
    He does exist, Allah is God same like Yahweh, it is just different name for God. Whether you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim, we all pray to the one God.

Yes, and no. When Arab Christians use the term Allah they are referring to the God of Christian tradition.

The Qur'an differs from the Bible in respect to how it defines God. Therefore I can't say that I believe in the same God that is described in the Qur'an.

Judaism is more complex, insofar as the Bible including the Old Testament describes who God is. However insofar as many Jews reject Jesus, I cannot say that they believe in the same God as I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

What about the religions that believe in multiple gods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

This is something I'm quite curious about regarding christianity; or I suppose any faith.

I assume that people who consider themselves Christians would not believe that Allah or Vishnu exists.

If your answer is that you believe other religions are wrong then why do you think Christianity is the one among thousands which is correct? And if you were born into Christianity do you think that it was a coincidence that you were born into the religion you believe is the correct one?

I believe Christianity is the only correct religion. Why do I think so? Because God revealed it to my heart, gave me the assurance that the Bible I was hearing/reading was His word, the Truth.

Subsequently I have found that true by experience also.

I was born into a non-practising Protestantism. Belief in God was an option, but not one taken seriously by most of my family circle.

I think I would have felt free to go for atheism, agnosticism, most of the cults. Most things except Catholicism - it was a cultural/ethnic no-no.

Most of my peers are of the atheist/agnostic type, or vaguely hopeful of a home in heaven but know nothing about God.

John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    I think I would have felt free to go for atheism, agnosticism, most of the cults. Most things except Catholicism - it was a cultural/ethnic no-no.
    Did god have nothing to say to your heart on this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Did god have nothing to say to your heart on this point?
    Yes, to keep away from it, as it was of man's traditions, not of Him.

John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

I don't believe in any other gods but God! Yeah I understand you Philologos but the way i see it is that they still pray to the same God whether they see Jesus as the prophet Isa or reject him altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

does the first commandment not say that you can not honor any other god. so taking this as it reads, anyone who follows another god is a sinner in the eyes of the christian faith.

I don't believe in any other gods but God! Yeah I understand you Philologos but the way i see it is that they still pray to the same God whether they see Jesus as the prophet Isa or reject him altogether.

I don't believe that Allah in the Islamic concept is the same as the Lord God. Namely, I can't believe that Islam is true.

Why? - Jesus Christ.
    What about the religions that believe in multiple gods?

One can't be a Christian and acknowledge the existence of other gods. Christianity is a monotheistic faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone that attempts to sneak into Heaven and reach God "some other way" other than through Jesus Christ is a thief and a robber.

The world must be full of thieves and robbers.

2zrf8lu.jpg

"I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. John 10 9

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.” John 10:1

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kjw47

These are true christians--- They serve the God of Moses,Abraham,David,Daniel, Isaiah,etc-- its 100% fact they served YHWH(Jehovah) a single being God=the Father---- The one Jesus himself told everyone at John 17:1-6-- that the one who sent him( John 5:30) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD. those who listen to Jesus know it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement