Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computer Science (Conversion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2 Hell and Back

Anonomuss wrote: »
    Also @Bennyineire, I'm going to be travelling from Kildare, and taking the luas from Heuston to George's Dock (Mayor's Square is closer, but George's Dock is the last stop on the City Centre train fare), crossing the Beckett bridge and going from there on foot. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from George's Dock.

Id give yourself 25minutes walk. You would have to be running to do it in 5 - 10minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Anonomuss

Whoops. Yeah you're right there. 5-10 minutes was way too optimistic thinking. I was thinking of Shelbourne road, and even 10 minutes would have to have been a good day. 25 minutes makes sense, especially since I've never been to the place.

Anonomuss wrote: »
    Whoops. Yeah you're right there. 5-10 minutes was way too optimistic thinking. I was thinking of Shelbourne road, and even 10 minutes would have to have been a good day. 25 minutes makes sense, especially since I've never been to the place.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=George%27s+Dock&daddr=institute+of+public+adminstration+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.341738,-6.239204&spn=0.027416,0.084543&sll=53.341875,-6.241025&sspn=0.027416,0.084543&geocode=FZkMLgMdkqug_w%3BFffOLQMdYfCg_ynvbnkswg5nSDFEVno8BkrvtQ&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=14

google maps says 32mins but it probably allows for slow walkers

Maybe you could use the dublin bikes scheme to quicken the journey a bit?

Yeah, I don't think it would take that long.

I've been messing around with the map distance/time measurements. Heuston to Trinity is a similar distance (approximately, Google maps reckons its 35 minutes) and I did it regularly in 20-25 minutes. And on a less regular basis I walked from Heuston to the far end of St John Rogerson's Quay, in slightly less than 40 mins, which google says should take 50.

So given that margin or error, about 25 minutes would seem a reasonable amount of time. I haven't allowed for traffic lights and traffic though.

5-10 minutes. What was I thinking. /facepalm
    Its certainly not boding well for me that I wasn't able to figure this out offhand. :p
    I'm really not that terrible, honest!

EDIT: Yeah, it might be an idea alright. Although I'm somewhat wary of biking around dublin, due to the dangers of inner city driving, which couldn rarely be described as considerate.

EDIT 2: Actually, taking the 145 from Heuston to Haddington Road, and then on to the IPA is likely to be quicker. It only needs a 10 minute walk.
    The 145 leaves every 10 minutes from Heuston, so that could well be the better option.
    Also, the 145 should work to and from belfield also.

Sorry, I'll stop cluttering the thread with transport stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 murtron

Anyone else going EP this year? Looks like I'll be missing day 1 anyway, wasn't expecting such an early start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Thanks for all the info as regards walking to the IPA, just registered, I haven't got any info on when we start and orientation, where did you guys get this info
    P.S. I'm going to E.P. on the Sunday so I'm gonna be a sick boy on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Got this email this morning:

Dear Student,

Your start time for Registration is Monday 27 August 2012 at 04:30PM.

Regards,

UCD Registry

What do they mean by start time?

Also as regards timetables and all that im pretty sure we will be split into two different groups for the first couple of months. Group 1 will be in 9-1 and group 2 will be in 2-6 or something like that. A friend of mine who completed it last year told me this is how it worked for him.

The time at which you can register to modules via SIS web. In our case, all the modules have been preselected for the first year so don't think it's relevant.

You just need to fill out your personal information, upload a photo and pay fees if you haven't done that yet.

At least that's my understanding of it as a past student of UCD.

I haven't got any info on when we start and orientation, where did you guys get this info

I got what I posted above here. Other than that I haven't had any other info in that regard. The info 2 Hell and Back called, and seemed to get the same info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Better Call Saul_BB

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Got this email this morning:

Dear Student,

Your start time for Registration is Monday 27 August 2012 at 04:30PM.

Regards,

UCD Registry

What do they mean by start time?

Also as regards timetables and all that im pretty sure we will be split into two different groups for the first couple of months. Group 1 will be in 9-1 and group 2 will be in 2-6 or something like that. A friend of mine who completed it last year told me this is how it worked for him.

I am fairly sure its 9.30am to 12.30pm and 2pm - 5pm.

We will spend the first six weeks in the IPA from what I have been told.

In regard to the fees, I have so far paid the €500 deposit and my remaining balance on the SIS web is €2250. I was thinking of paying €1125 in September and the rest in January. However, considering our course is actually three semesters, I think we may get away with paying €750 in September, €750 in January and the remaining €750 sometime next summer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Anybody any ideas the best way to get between IPA and Belfield? :confused:

Totally surprised how early the course is starting I have to say!

Anybody any ideas the best way to get between IPA and Belfield? :confused:

Good question. Was planning on joining the gym, but I may just wait until we start the next semester in Belfield.

Never a big fan of studying/doing work in the library on campus (I did my undergraduate degree in UCD), so I doubt I will need to be spending much time out there for the first few months if the IPA has decent enough facilities.

On a related note, is anybody buying a new laptop specifically for this course? I have a relatively decent one already buts its a 15 inch and not exactly ideal to be carrying around all day. I was looking into getting a new Ultrabook but imo you would be much better served waiting until Windows 8 comes out at the end of October before going that route.

I am hoping there is a decent computer room in the IPA which will suffice for course work and then I have my computer/laptop at home to do any additional required work.

Just looking at my registration there...

No IPA... :confused:

Just looking at my registration there...

No IPA... :confused:

I think SIS web only shows modules actually offered by UCD so we won't see the IPA stuff on there

murtron wrote: »
    I think SIS web only shows modules actually offered by UCD so we won't see the IPA stuff on there

Yeh, you can actually see it on your ucd connect google calendar if you go to December, March and April. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I got an email this morning stating thus

"We would like to invite you to our Welcome and Induction Evening here in the Institute on Thursday, 30th August at 4.00 p.m. which will allow you to meet and have a chat with the various members of staff and fellow students whom you will be dealing with during your course.

The first Module here in the Institute is on Internet Technologies and will commence on Monday 3rd September, 2012. Depending on which group you have been assigned to, Group A classes will be held from 9.30 a.m.-12.30 p.m. and Group B classes will be held from 1.30 p.m. – 4.30 p.m. You should be here 15 minutes prior to commencement of class, for registration."

I hope I'm in group A, anyway see you all soon, I'm Brendan by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭thegift06

Anyone looking for a free pdf version of the book here you go: The Essential Guide to CSS & HTML Web Design (Essentials). Its handy if you have a tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Can anyone tell me is thursday's induction mandatory? Not sure if I'll be able to make it. Also in group A, name is Podge

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me is thursday's induction mandatory? Not sure if I'll be able to make it. Also in group A, name is Podge

Its not mandatory... its just a meet and greet, say hello type of thing.

Over 100 people listed for the course

Anyone mind telling me the email address from which the invitation was sent? I'm pretty certain I didn't get one; and it's annoying to be left off a mailing list. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭thegift06

Anyone mind telling me the email address from which the invitation was sent? I'm pretty certain I didn't get one; and it's annoying to be left off a mailing list. :pac:

sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Got the emails myself, looking forward to Thursday. I hope you'll all be nice to me now. ;)
    I'm in the morning group too, just what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Sorry for the double post. :o

Just created a Facebook page for the class, could come in handy in the future for things such as the above link for the book etc..

Pop me a PM here, can add you guys on FB. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

Got the email today as well, Don't think i can make it because of work tho. It says they're going to be handing out the timetables at this. Can someone please link to it here when they get it. I'm in group 2. See yis all on Monday!

Anybody want to swap a morning slot for a lazy afternoon one? Afternoon slot makes getting to work a tad difficult for me.

Anybody want to swap a morning slot for a lazy afternoon one? Afternoon slot makes getting to work a tad difficult for me.

Hey, ill swap with you,

Ill send you a PM

I am in the morning group with is ideal for me tbh. While its great not having to be up early every morning (If I were in the afternoon group), I could see myself getting very lazy and basically doing f all every day.

At least now I can get the lectures out of the way, maybe do some course work/study and still be home at a reasonable time and be able to do whatever I want for the rest of the day.

As for the makeup of the class/group - Safe to say its a male dominated course with very little of the opposite sex :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hi all,

Just seen this thread and thought I would say hello. I'm currently starting year 2 of this course and was a bit lost with timetabling, organization etc. last year. If any of you have any questions about the course I would be delighted to help if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Hi all,

Just seen this thread and thought I would say hello. I'm currently starting year 2 of this course and was a bit lost with timetabling, organization etc. last year. If any of you have any questions about the course I would be delighted to help if I can.

Hi, by year two, I presume you mean September to December to complete your masters?

Maybe just give a general overview of how you found the course and then we can maybe get into specific questions... any information would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 stitchka

Hi Guys,

Just accepted my offer about a week ago because I was waiting to hear back from another Uni,really looking forward to start but it means that I'm not on any mailing list as of yet, I was told about this induction 2mo but nothing much else bout registration etc! If someone could do me a big favour and fill me in a bit on the important bits,Im terrified I'll arrive in and they wont have a clue who I am! Anyway I'l see ye all 2mo if not :)

Advertisement