Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market for horse video/show filming?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for your opinions on an idea I've had.

I work in video and I also share a horse. I'm wondering if there's a market for small scale video in equestrianism.

The idea I had was offering a filming service for small scale jumping competitions, pony camps, mini midi maxi, showing ect. In a similar fashion as you can buy photos a photographer has taken, I would be "booked" by riders who are competing to film their round so they can watch it, learn from it and upload it online for their friends to see.

I remember when I was a kid my dad filming a show jumping round I once did on a mini competition. It's the only video I ever had of myself horse riding and I loved having it.

Now of course everyone has a camera but I would offer a far superior quality video. I would probably charge around 20 to 30 euro for filming, lets say that's two rounds, clear and a jump off ect.

What do you guys think? Is this something you'd be interested it? Have you ever heard of something like this before? What about the price? Is it too cheap/too expensive?

Any opinions appreciated.

Jen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

its a tough job, I used to shoot and supply photographs to shows and stopped due to lack of sales. Its a great idea in principle but have seen a lot of videographers come and go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Borderfox wrote: »
    its a tough job, I used to shoot and supply photographs to shows and stopped due to lack of sales. Its a great idea in principle but have seen a lot of videographers come and go.

Thanks for your reply. I work in a lot of areas of video but my own personal passion for horse riding makes me really interested in this area. Personally I wouldn't be trying to make a wage off of it, just a bit of pocket cash. My idea would be to only attend shows I've been "booked" for, so that I wouldn't be wasting time filming rounds that no one wants. Hopefully I'd be able to get in touch with some dublin riding schools that hold frequent shows and ask them if I could offer my service at their shows.

By the way, I've seen a lot of your photos on boards, They're fantastic :)

its definitely the best way to be booked beforehand, and amateurs riding their own horse I think are most interested in your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

its definitely the best way to be booked beforehand, and amateurs riding their own horse I think are most interested in your service.

Definately! I was recently at the riding clubs festival -i went on my own so i had no one to man a camera. I rode the best round of my life - i would kill to have a video of it!!!
    There was a professional photographer there and they didnt even take one photo of me and i had two rounds :(

I think most professional showjumpers will have their own grooms video-ing but riding club events would be a good market -if you stuck to regional and national events at least you'd have a good crowd each day..

20 euro is ok but I'm not sure i'd pay 30 for it..

• Advertisement

Definately! I was recently at the riding clubs festival -i went on my own so i had no one to man a camera. I rode the best round of my life - i would kill to have a video of it!!!
    There was a professional photographer there and they didnt even take one photo of me and i had two rounds :(

I think most professional showjumpers will have their own grooms video-ing but riding club events would be a good market -if you stuck to regional and national events at least you'd have a good crowd each day..

20 euro is ok but I'm not sure i'd pay 30 for it..

Yes I think regional would be a good place to start. Possibly try to start off local around north Dublin, I know of a good few places that do frequent small scale jumping and dressage. If that goes well I could expand. Say €20 for two rounds, would that sound like a acceptable price?

it sounds acceptable to me because I know whats involved. I have had people complain about my prices when the camera alone costs €8000 upwards. I charged 20 for one picture and 2 for 30 and that worked better than 1 for 15. That price was based on a minimum sales of €250 to cover costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

I think its a great idea!Go for it

Advertisement