Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman thrown in prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Definitely puts you off.

However he should have stopped. Morally, he creamed someone at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    However he should have stopped. Morally, he creamed someone at high speed.

I was thinking the same last night while I was out running. He hit them hard and had no idea how badly they were injured or even if they were critical and instead he jumped back on his bike and kept going. Pro or not, that is bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

That is a pretty one-eyed view from AS on what happened before and after.

Some balance here...
    http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86983

Having participated in the race, there was a strong feeling on the ground that he should have waited given the seriousness of her injuries (it was obvious at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Did he stop though? One site quotes: “After making sure she was being treated by paramedics he got back on his bike and continued the race.”

I’m not sure that this would not have happened in another country. Legal nightmare. Seems odd that this only coming out now?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just read a small piece on that, where the guy concerned complains that his own injuries were never treated (broken collar bone etc) yet he finished the race with those injuries. Yes, its very bad form for a country to hold someone hostage, but its equally bad to hit and run, no matter what the circumstances.

• Advertisement

I heard that ,then they tried to make Balistic missiles,but instead he used the parts to create armor and he blasted his way out.

Oryx wrote: »
    I just read a small piece on that, where the guy concerned complains that his own injuries were never treated (broken collar bone etc) yet he finished the race with those injuries. Yes, its very bad form for a country to hold someone hostage, but its equally bad to hit and run, no matter what the circumstances.

That might not be necessarily true. According to someone on ST, he was only held for 20 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Did he stop though? One site quotes: “After making sure she was being treated by paramedics he got back on his bike and continued the race.”

I’m not sure that this would not have happened in another country. Legal nightmare. Seems odd that this only coming out now?

I read that too here, how reputable that website is is another story though.

If he did stop, waited until she was being treated by paramedics and then carried on I don't see what more he could have done for her from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

d4r3n wrote: »

If he did stop, waited until she was being treated by paramedics and then carried on I don't see what more he could have done for her from that point of view.

Are u kidding? How could he have gone on..selfish pr*ck if u ask me..it is not if she just had a few scratches..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Am I going to get shot for asking the obvious question?

What the f*ck was some idiot doing running across a course as a professional athlete on a self propelled missile came tearing thru at 30mph?

Now I've every sympathy in the world for her and her family that she ended up so badly injured, but she was the one that put both their lives at risk.

Callous, maybe. But my god how is she not being the one vilified? If he came off the bike and ended up badly injured and she was ok, does she then become the outcast?!

...perhaps I'm just a heartless bar steward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hanley wrote: »

What the f*ck was some idiot doing running across a course as a professional athlete on a self propelled missile came tearing thru at 30mph?

Now I've every sympathy in the world for her and her family that she ended up so badly injured, but she was the one that put both their lives at risk.

Callous, maybe. But my god how is she not being the one vilified? If he came off the bike and ended up badly injured and she was ok, does she then become the outcast?!

It happened at one of the underpasses.
    Effectively, you go from bright light to pitch dark (given you are wearing shades), so chances are he didn't see her at all.
    Secondly, she was picking up bottles that previous riders were throwing everywhere, which were a serious hazard (A girl ahead of me, hit one and came off).
    It is an aid station, so for me, the responsibility is on riders to slow down and to not throw their bottles everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Izoard wrote: »

It happened at one of the underpasses.
    Effectively, you go from bright light to pitch dark (given you are wearing shades), so chances are he didn't see her at all.
    Secondly, she was picking up bottles that previous riders were throwing everywhere, which were a serious hazard (A girl ahead of me, hit one and came off).
    It is an aid station, so for me, the responsibility is on riders to slow down and to not throw their bottles everywhere.

She was doing her job and protecting the safety of the athletes

tunney wrote: »
    She was doing her job and protecting the safety of the athletes

...but she knocked him off his bike? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

d4r3n wrote: »

Are u kidding? How could he have gone on..selfish pr*ck if u ask me..it is not if she just had a few scratches..

I never said he should or shouldn't have carried on, I simply said there was no more he could have done for her than what he did which is simply stop and wait for the paramedics.

Him carrying on or not wont make her any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

...but she knocked him off his bike? :confused:
    Or he crashed into her at high speed?

I'm gonna stick with my original position of her being on the track was inviting an incident to occur.

And I'm going to qualify it by saying that I know she was trying to protect athletes, was a selfless volunteer and got incredibly badly injured as a result, which is nothing short of a tragedy.

My only point, leaving all the emotive factors aside, is - why was she in a position to collide with a competitor? Someone seriously f*cked up, and I don't think it was the competitor, in my opinion.

Now, you could also lay blame with the other athletes for discarding bottles in a hazardous manner, the course designer for putting an aid area in a position that didn't give good visibility, and with the volunteer herself for being in a dangerous position. But I don't think it's fair ("fair" being the important word here) that the triathlete gets vilified for leaving the scene of an accident (after allegedly ensuring she received medical attention) for something that was really outside of his control.

Scumbag maneuver to pull, maybe. But what lead to it probably wasn't his own doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'm gonna stick with my original position of her being on the track was inviting an incident to occur.

And I'm going to qualify it by saying that I know she was trying to protect athletes, was a selfless volunteer and got incredibly badly injured as a result, which is nothing short of a tragedy.

My only point, leaving all the emotive factors aside, is - why was she in a position to collide with a competitor? Someone seriously f*cked up, and I don't think it was the competitor, in my opinion.

Now, you could also lay blame with the other athletes for discarding bottles in a hazardous manner, the course designer for putting an aid area in a position that didn't give good visibility, and with the volunteer herself for being in a dangerous position. But I don't think it's fair ("fair" being the important word here) that the triathlete gets vilified for leaving the scene of an accident (after allegedly ensuring she received medical attention) for something that was really outside of his control.

Scumbag maneuver to pull, maybe. But what lead to it probably wasn't his own doing.
    I don't think he's being blamed for the accident itself, he hardly did it on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm gonna stick with my original position of her being on the track

That's part of the issue, it is not a track. You are told in the race briefing that although the roads are closed to traffic they are still roads and should be treated as such. It's up to the riders to judge conditions and surroundings and ride with care.

The real story emerges.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/06/news/what-happened-in-abu-dhabi_56392

Quite different from what that blog post suggested.

Advertisement