Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Revision Books for L.C

Options
  • 22-06-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I'm doing my L.C through Irish in 2014 and want to know what are the best revision books to get seeing as there are so many out there (Less Stress More Success, Revise Wise, Rapid Revision etc.)

The subjects I'm doing are,
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Physics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    all honours and would like your opinions on which books are the best for each of these.. Or even if there is any particularly good text books..

I'm also doing Applied Maths but I don't think they do any revision books for it, not that I've found anyway but if there are books can ye let me know..

Thanks a mil for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

ampmm wrote: »
    I'm doing my L.C through Irish in 2014 and want to know what are the best revision books to get seeing as there are so many out there (Less Stress More Success, Revise Wise, Rapid Revision etc.)

I'm doing,
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Physics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    all honours and would like your opinions on which books are the best for each of these.. Or even if there is any particularly good text book..

I'm also doing Applied Maths but I don't think they do any revision books for it, not that I've found anyway but if there are books can ye let me know..

Thanks a mil

I'm not sure would it make any difference, but I don't think any revision books are printed as Gaeilge.. Correct me if i'm wrong but i've never seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

No I don't think there are any either, I meant books through English. Most of my text books are in English so I would have to translate anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I would recommend you get Revise Wise for French and Maths. Brilliant Books.
    I wouldn't really bother getting a ''general'' English revision book... I bought one and never really used it, they're very limited in their content IMO.
    You should get a revision book for your single text, I had a revision book for Hamlet called ''Shortcuts to Success'' and it's very good , has character profiles, key themes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Revise Wise Biology
    Rapid Revision Chemistry

They don't have everything but they're really good

Thanks a mil, have the revision books for maths changed for the project maths course? Ya English would be my weakest subject so I'm thinking of dropping down to pass so I can focus on the others as I'm aiming for 600 at least (including 25 extra for maths) as the only courses I'm interested in have fairly high point requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Hi, I just did my leaving cert through Irish and there are very few Irish revision books but I'd highly recommend firicí fillte for Bitheolaíocht and Ceimic, I didn't do physics so I don't know if one even exists. That's just an translated version of Facts Unfolded by An Gúm. it's excellent, has all the course condensed into a small book, I think you have to order it through the school tho, I know we did :)

Also Accent Francais for french, it says for oral and aural but it's brilliant for opinion pieces aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Rapid Revision Chemistry
    Key Notes English
    Revise Wise Biology

boom.

Hi, I just did my leaving cert through Irish and there are very few Irish revision books but I'd highly recommend firicí fillte for Bitheolaíocht and Ceimic, I didn't do physics so I don't know if one even exists. That's just an translated version of Facts Unfolded by An Gúm. it's excellent, has all the course condensed into a small book, I think you have to order it through the school tho, I know we did :)

Have the firici fillte for Maths, and the sciences :) handy enough but they're no good for helping you actually answer exam questions if you get me..

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

English- Just for Paper 2: Key Notes (excellent)

Irish- Less Stress More Success (brilliant)

Maths- Revise Wise & Maths Essentials Unfolded- The Celtic Press

French - Both less stress more success and revise wise.

Physics- Didn't do it but Essentials Unfolded- Celtic Press is supposed to be good.

Biology- Essential Exam Revision: Folens (excellent- it's basically all you need to know- no excess) and Essentials Unfolded Celtic Press.

Chemistry - Rapid Revision and Essentials Unfolded.

All are brilliant especially the Folen's Biology.

Thanks a million :) great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

[QUOTE=ampmm;79351148

Have the firici fillte for Maths, and the sciences :) handy enough but they're no good for helping you actually answer exam questions if you get me..[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I know that but when you get to Christmas of 6th year you'll see the importance of being able to skip chapters, esp. biology and have the diagrams already translated. Saved me loads of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mr. Tambourine Man

Active Maths.

Its not a revision book, but from personal experience I didn't find the leaving cert revise wise or less stress more success all that great... (even though I fricken loved the junior cert revise wise).. Maybe they'll be better for project maths

You can quite easily pretend to be a teacher and get into the solutions page (by sending activation code to your phone), and then you have the solution to every question in the book.

IMO this is a far superior way to study maths, because when you get stuck, instead of having to ask a teacher what to do, you can just get the solution.

I only figured this out about a week before my maths test though.. Raged cos it would have taken a lot of the frustration out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Some revision books help but in most cases your own book is better than any revision book! i would focus on exam paper questions , many people in my year that did very well in tests and mocks would learn topics from their main school book then try the exam questions, sometimes revision books tend to cut a few corners , i only used revise wise for biology it was very good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

For Bio that Essentials book, by Sarah Dileen I think. Amazing!
    As is Key Notes for English paper 2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I found "Essentials Unfolded Chemistry" invaluable for the bit of last minute cramming. It comes in a small booklet and is really well laid out. I have revise wise too, but preferred essentials unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

ampmm wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

The subjects I'm doing are,
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Physics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    all honours and would like your opinions on which books are the best for each of these.. Or even if there is any particularly good text books..

Thanks a mil for your help

I had the Less Stress More Success Biology book, but I'd recommend the Revise Wise as my friends said it was really good, and my one seemed to be missing some information :/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Personally if your not doing your leaving till 2014 I think now is too early to be looking at revision books. . Revision books are "revision" books. They are good when it comes to the final months before your exams and you want to revise shortened versions of certain topics... But realistically if you plan on aiming high enough I think your best focusing on your main text books until maybe january or february before your leaving.... Going in to the exam you want to know as much as you absolutely can.. Using revision books too early will cut you short! ... Thats my opinion anyway... Also I think exam papers are possibly the best revision aid you can use.... Literally do every exam question in the exam papers in every subject.. and once you have them all done then you can revise from these.. youll find similar questions come up annually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sophiiieee

Ive just finished my leaving cert and have started a blog putting up notes and stuff that i made that will hopefully help other people, the link is http://leaving-cert-helpnotes.blogspot.ie/ i havent that much up yet but i will be putting them up over the next few weeks and months, hope it is a help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Sorry if posted before,

But I just finished my lc through Irish. Pain in the neck translating all the time.

There is a Biology book that's through Irish.
    It's called "Firicí fillte" - and its an extremely concise book. It doesn't contain absolutely everything...but I found it very handy - and it was also handy for finding translations.

I strongly strongly suggest that you write down the Irish translations of words down in your book as you're doing them in class. Very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lavidabonita

People studying geography : Sue Honan's 'Exam Skills' is an amazing revision book. Literally saved me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 zinny

hey guys Im doing religion on my own and I just want to know if theres any good revision books out there??

Advertisement