Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Plan 5th Year

• 22-06-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I'm going into 5th year(pre lc) now after doing T.Y and am just wondering what kind of a study plan would be effective for 5th year. I'm doing the 3 sciences(Phys, Chem, Bio) French, English, Irish, Maths and Applied Maths. I will probably get grinds in a few subjects in 5th year too. I play a lot of sport so I don't want to be swamped with study but i'm hoping to do either Vet. or Med. so I'd be aiming for 600 at least including the 25 extra for honours maths... Also what would ye recommend folder/hardback wise for each subject? I know it depends on the teacher sometimes but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I recommend making notes and doing exam questions as soon as possible. If you do them on your computer it'll be a lot easier to stay organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

Ya I was thinkin of doing exam questions after each chapter/topic... I could do that for the sciences and maths all day but languages just bore me to death I dunno how I'll be able to study for them

ampmm wrote: »
    Ya I was thinkin of doing exam questions after each chapter/topic... I could do that for the sciences and maths all day but languages just bore me to death I dunno how I'll be able to study for them

Yeah same deal with me. I learned all my Irish from the Gaeltacht and for German I just learned topics off by heart for the oral and written and practised listening. Sciences just go in easier. You could try watching tv shows in the language you're studying? I watched Scrubs in German for the Leaving :P

I spent 2 months in France so my French isn't the worst but it'll be gone by L.C I'd say.. I'm doing 8 subjects so I think English and French won't be counted... I'm in an all Irish school so I'm fluent in Irish so i'd be hoping for an A1 there

I spent 2 months in France so my French isn't the worst but it'll be gone by L.C I'd say.. I'm doing 8 subjects so I think English and French won't be counted... I'm in an all Irish school so I'm fluent in Irish so i'd be hoping for an A1 there

Haha you should be grand for Irish so. The 40% for the oral is a godsend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

''study plan'' ''5th year''?
    chill out ffs, just make sure you do your homework properly, and dont let any of your subjects fall behind. If you get a tonne of homework due for the end of the week or something like that, do it sooner rather than later, and just apply yourself in general.

The best advice i could give to a 5th year is just aim to be the best in your year, if you see a guy and you think ''god i wish i could get his test results'' just ask yourself ''why the **** not me'' and pride yourself in your work. make yourself the best and the rest will fall into place... you gotta stop seeing your classmates as friends, rather as competitors for college places..... well, maybe thats just me being a bity psycho, but it works wonders for your grades

btw the lv cert is over-rated as ****, just keep telling yourself its easy, and eventually you'll convince yourself that its so handy, that you'll be too ashamed to get anything less than an a2, at the end of the day, its just a reading and remembering competition, there's nothing stopping you getting 6a1's if you apply yourself (assuming you're not retarded in some way)

Maybe I shouldn't be so cocky.. I'll still have to put in the work for Irish but it definitely comes easier to me than the other languages.. I dunno if it'll be worth the time and effort in English if I won't end up counting it.. Pass might be the job for me.. Like I only got a B in the J.C, I didn't study much at all for it but I'm still not naturally good at it

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

don't worry about the leaving cert at this stage, only finished ty, just focus on short term goals, like student of the month, academia awards etc, small things that are tangible and yield real life results... the leaving cert itself shouldnt be too f oward on your mind atm, just make sure you do all the little things well and the rest will fall into place

2 years isn't that long really.. Like I want to have all the donkey work done in 5th year and then I can just polish it off in L.C.. I don't want to have to repeat but I'm not going to do any other course and a lot of points are needed just to even consider it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

You are right! 2 years is not long.. do enjoy the summer a bit as its your last free time but its never too early to study, i started biology over the summer as i had not done science for jc , i did it by topic going through the book and the difference it made was big! Definitely i would say start early for french! my 5th year teacher was awful we didn't start our oral topics/ essay topics until sixth year, worst thing ever! if you cover all your topics early ,french is not too hard to do well in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I completely agree with you! I wish I had done all the 'donkey work' in 5th year. It will really stand to ya in 6th year. If you make notes make sure you keep them organised! I used a ring binder folder for all my subjects and I found it brilliant! But as other people said don't burn yourself out. It's more important in 5th to work hard at understanding your subjects especially sciencey and mathsy subjects! Just work consistently, keep your head down and you should be grand! :) Good luck, Leaving Cert's not half as bad as everyone says! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

Don't forget that if your planning on going down the med route you've also got the hpat to worry about. Which is worth 300 points. A lot of time & effort is required to get a good result in that, do to be honest my advice would be - drop to pass in one of your 8 (I dropped to pass english & kept my other 7 because its a hugely time consuming subject) You have to treat the hpat as another subject so get working on that straight away.

Remember the leaving cert is only a points race, a competition for who can get the most. And you have to treat it that way, focus on your 6 main.

I found having a folder for maths/physics/biology/applied maths was useful. Where you can put all solutions to each year exam/topic into for quick reference during revision.

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

How can you be aiming for 600 points and your only finished transition year?

Well if I don't set a goal then I know I won't do well.. I have to set some kind of a target for myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Hi Everyone,
    I'm going into 5th year(pre lc) now after doing T.Y and am just wondering what kind of a study plan would be effective for 5th year. I'm doing the 3 sciences(Phys, Chem, Bio) French, English, Irish, Maths and Applied Maths. I will probably get grinds in a few subjects in 5th year too. I play a lot of sport so I don't want to be swamped with study but i'm hoping to do either Vet. or Med. so I'd be aiming for 600 at least including the 25 extra for honours maths... Also what would ye recommend folder/hardback wise for each subject? I know it depends on the teacher sometimes but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks a million

I would reccomend to not have done all 3 sciences, like if you pick a practicle subject, lets just say construction, you have 50per before you go into the actual exam. It can be very nice to have.

For study wise you have to want to do it. Unrealistic: You study for 2.5 to 3 hours every day in 5th year. Then the weekend do around 4 alltogether... This would ensure that when you go into leavingcert you will be more than sufficiently prepared. Then during th summer of 5th year you pick one subject, and go over that at least 5 times a week.

If you do all the above youre looking at very high points. But saying that 6th year you will have to up the pace a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Maybe you should just focus on understanding the main things in each subject before you start rushing in to saying you want 600 points.The LC is a big jump up from the junior cert lark and you may find yourself under too much pressure with all those subjects.
    I'd say just relax a little bit at least until the new year when you go back and just focus on doing your homework correctly. Also since you did ty I'd say alot of yer subjects may not be too strong such as maths-algebra etc.. So just try andf get a good grounding in all these first and aim to get as high as possible in all class tests,after that you get accustomed to the high results and this will yield hugely to when you have christmas tests, easter etc...
    Best of luck and enjoy your summer:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think the main things are stay organized. I did the same subjects as you and you have no idea how thankful I was for the lists of definitions, equations, experiment notes that were all easy to get at. You don't want to be stuck making those in 6th year, plus its a really good way to consolidate what you've learnt. Buy exam papers and start them this year. Its the only way to study. If you need more next year, there are millions of websites selling mock papers with marking schemes for cheap. The other thing is if you find 8 HL subjects or even 7 too much work, think about dropping one or dropping to ordinary. At the end of the day you can only count 6 subjects, and 1 A is better than 2 Cs because you couldn't keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MovingToMars

I just finished fifth year and what I really wish I did more of was listening in class and doing homework every night. I learnt my mistake after the Christmas tests and with putting a little bit more effort into my work, the Summer tests were easier to cope with. I know it sounds obvious but so many people fall in to the trap of doing their homework slap dash before classes when they should have been doing it the night before. (I fell in to this trap at times :o ) Study is important too, but if you keep on top of your homework and cover it well, revision for Christmas and Summer tests will be so much easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

I just finished 5th (dreading 6th!) and I think you have a great plan. Don't over do the study 'cause you do get bored of it easily. I started out by doing three hours (homework + whatever time was left I'd use to study). It paid off in the Christmas tests but after that I got lazy. I'd suggest doing homework + 1 hour of study. Do 2 subjects a night and just read over parts you haven't understood well, or do an exam question. Also I would suggest you take notes at the end of every chapter and keep them all together in a binder/folder in comp if you would rather type. Organization is something I lack, so I found that part horrible, and I'm not the best note taker.

Don't stress too much and make sure you leave time to have fun and see friends, and keep up any hobbies you have. Good Luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a million

Don't make a timetable anyway!(Well, from my experience..) I tried them about 3 times throughout 5th year and never stuck to them. Only in 6th year did I start making a list at the end of every week with things I wanted to have done on each day. I think this is what most people do? It's somewhat motivating when you have one task ticked off :pac: You should do this for 5th year but don't have too much on your plan. You seem to be set enough for your sciences, so regarding your languages, definitely be consistent. Learn vocab/sentences nearly everyday and also practice your aural once in a while. It's not exactly something you can cram the night before. Oh and English, do essays on your own accord and hand them up to be corrected, then re-write them with corrections until they're brilliant ;) I put off essays so much and ended up doing them all a month before my Leaving! Not a very wise move :rolleyes: I'd suggest a revise wise/less stress book for Biology too. They contain just as much info. than the textbook and are a lot smaller too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Hi,
    I'm going into 5th year as well, although I'm not doing TY :P
    I want to medicine too, I'm doing 7 subjects, My choices were German, History, Biology and Chemistry. I'm going to treat the H-pat like an extra subject and study for that a few nights a week. I know it's weird, but I'm kind of looking forward to getting stuck into it haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

You're only going into 5th year and you're thinking of hpat study? It's way too early for that and since there's no certainty that the hpat will be around in 2014 I would strongly advise you to forget about it until 6th year.

I'd say study the hpat now..worst case scenario, it goes and you've wasted a couple of hours but if it stays then you have a major advantage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do every homework to the best standard you can and keep them all.

Don't miss school days.

Never leave a classroom unclear on something.

That's plenty for fifth year. You might get to a stage later where you have to be honest with yourself and say you find one or more areas too much work, but for now, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Yeah I'd agree with ampmm, If only for 1 or 2 hours a week, you can get a great head start, and lower the pressure in 6th year, I think my future self would thank me ;)

Advertisement