Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using the tiller on a Recurve

• 22-06-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

This may seem a silly question.

I want to use the tiller system on a Hoyt Horizon riser to extend the useful life of my first set of training limbs.

Assuming 30# limbs can I use the tiller system to initially drop the setup to (-10%) 27# and then slowly up it fraction by fraction till it is at the full (+10%) or 33#.

Does playing with the tiller system dramatically effect the performance of the bow in any way that a beginner will be able to detect other than draw weight.

The bow is not tuned.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The tiller bolts can only change the marked weigh within a 10% band.
    Limbs that are marked at the mid point of their range will vary +/-5%, e.g. Hoyt.
    Most limbs are marked at minimum so the variance is +10%.

Most likely 30# limbs will vary from 30 to 33#.

Tiller bolts vary the angle of the limb in the limb pocket. This varies the amount each limb is drawn and therefore the amount of the power each limb gives to the arrow on release. This affects the way the riser reacts in your hand as it is drawn and the path of the nocking point on release and at the moment the arrow leaves the string. That effects arrow flight.

So the tiller bolt position affects the up/down impact of the arrows and the left/right impact of the arrows (by how well the bow poundage matches the dynamic spine requirement of the arrows).

For a beginner a lot of this may be academic, it will depend on how close to a proper match your arrows are to your limbs.

If they are close I'd live with it.

(If there was some extra length in the arrow shafts they could be shortened to help tune to an increase in poundage.)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement