Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Networks on Pay as you go

Options
  • 22-06-2012 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering if you buy a pay as you go phone with from Vodafone or Tesco Mobile can you still switch networks the next day to a different network? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you can switch your number to the other network but your new phone will likely be locked to the network you buy it on. different networks have different criteria for unlocking but usually something along the lines of spending 130 over the past 6 or 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Random wrote: »
    you can switch your number to the other network but your new phone will likely be locked to the network you buy it on. different networks have different criteria for unlocking but usually something along the lines of spending 130 over the past 6 or 12 months.

Thanks a mil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I always though the E130 thing was a legal requirement, but now that I go to look it up I cant see that it is.

According to wiki:
    Countries in the European Union (EU) each have their own legislation on SIM locking, but must comply with the EU Unfair Commercial Practices Directive (Directive 2005/29/EC of 2005). As noted above, this directive has been successfully applied in Belgium to overturn that country's previous ban on bundling phones with contracts. However, carriers in many countries in the EU do not necessarily associate a phone's SIM lock status to the customer's tie-in contract status.

Just wondering if a network could decide tomorrow that the limit is E200 and shaft its customers? I need to sim unlock to bootloader unlock so its of some concern to me.

Advertisement