Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to kill time tomorrow in Phibsboro

Options
  • 22-06-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be out in the Phibsboro Road/North Circular Road early tomorrow waiting on something so will need to kill 2 hours, with myself and the missus.

Is there anything to do there? Tour of Mountjoy perhaps? ;)

I see 'a shopping centre there be Dalymount. Is there anything in there, like a cinema or something?

Basically I don't know the area and need to kill 2 hours. Any ideas?

Cheers.

PS we'll be on foot. No car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hi,

I'll be out in the Phibsboro Road/North Circular Road early tomorrow waiting on something so will need to kill 2 hours, with myself and the missus.

Is there anything to do there? Tour of Mountjoy perhaps? ;)

I see 'a shopping centre there be Dalymount. Is there anything in there, like a cinema or something?

Basically I don't know the area and need to kill 2 hours. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Go up the Phoenix park - not far from there. google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Botanic Gardens .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

vicwatson wrote: »
    Go up the Phoenix park - not far from there. google maps
    mattjack wrote: »
    Botanic Gardens .

I forgot to say we'll be on foot so wont have a car. Suppose we could bus it to the Phoenix Park or Botanic Gardens, weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

mattjack wrote: »
    Botanic Gardens .

+1 10 minute walk, 1 1/2 Hours look around, 10 minutes back.
    Opens at 10am.
    The shopping center is crap.
    Woodstock cafe, and The Hut pub are good spots if it's raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Walk up/bus up to Glasnevin and do the tour of the cemetery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

It's also only a 15 min walk into Parmell St if you do fancy the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree on either Glasnevin Cemetery or The Botanic Gardens. They are both well worth seeing, and they both have cafe's, shops & visitors centers if the weather is bad. However the gardens are 1.7 km from the North Circular Road @ Phibsboro. You're not going to walk that in 10 mins unless you are an Olympic speed walker. I'd put it at a 20 minute walk at least. Glasnevin Cemetary is a bit nearer. If you only have 2 hours total, jump on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The more I think about it, both the Botanic Gardens and the Glasnevin Cemetery are well worth a visit.
    I'm a gonna to have to visit the Bones and Flowers some day soon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

Go in for a grand tour of 'The Home Of Irish Football' Dalymount Park ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Buy a load of tennis balls, cut them in half then glue em back together. Go to the joy side of the canal and throw over the wall into the exercise yard. The inmates will think they're getting drug dropsys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

SteoL wrote: »
    Buy a load of tennis balls, cut them in half then glue em back together. Go to the joy side of the canal and throw over the wall into the exercise yard. The inmates will think they're getting drug dropsys.

Why would you bother cutting them in half and glueing them back together if they are empty? Ha Anyway they won't get through the nets.

Dancor wrote: »

Why would you bother cutting them in half and glueing them back together if they are empty? Ha Anyway they won't get through the nets.

Fair point. And when did they finally get nets? I obviously stuck 20 years in the past or something :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Dancor wrote: »
    hit smaller balls over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a Burdocks, a Tesco, an Eddie Rockets and an Xtravision in that shopping centre! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a dr quirkeys in phibsboro afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There's a nice eatery across from the old First National Building Society building(just up from the Doyles pub), I forget its name. Its quite a nice meal for a lunch/dinner.

Oh, pop down to the Blessington Basin nearby, its quite tranquil when the weather is nice :)

there is a dr quirkeys in phibsboro afaik

Correct. Just beside the Pearl River Chinese takeaway.

gurramok wrote: »
    There's a nice eatery across from the old First National Building Society building(just up from the Doyles pub), I forget its name. Its quite a nice meal for a lunch/dinner.

Oh, pop down to the Blessington Basin nearby, its quite tranquil when the weather is nice :)

Woodstock café?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sitting at the Canal, feeding ducks, might be the option for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Croke Park is 10 minute walk. Could go and have a look around the museum and new skyline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Woodstock café?

Yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye we went into Wood stock actually. Was really nice. Lovely fry and fruit salad. Did the job!! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye we went into Wood stock actually. Was really nice. Lovely fry and fruit salad. Did the job!! ;)

I like how you balance things out. :)
    Woodstock's a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Bit late now but anyway........ have a wander around blessington street basin, walk down the canal, head further up the road to the botanic gardens. Alternatively you're only about 15/20 mins walk to town.

Advertisement