Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

elderlemon wrote: »
    Its still under warranty. Take it back and get it fixed.

Agreed, how long is it since you bought this device?

If it is not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality, which it seems not to be, you certainly may still have rights under Consumer Rights legislation, which apply EU-wide.

Failing that, you would have warranty rights as additional protection, but sometimes your rights under consumer law are more defined.

Your contract is always with the retail outlet you bought it from, so that is where you start.....

Download the pdf I linked previously, it is a good guide to your consumer rights and you can bring it with you to wherever you purchased the faulty item.

Sorry, here is that link again:

Your Rights When Shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Jules_G wrote: »
    Hi. Apologies if this has been posted before, but when I open my phone contacts it can take up to 8 seconds to open, if I hang up on a call and want to call someone else, again it can take up to 8 secs to redial a new number. I've searched for this problem, but don't seem to be able to find a solution to it. It has all it's updates and it's not rooted (I don't know what that is, but I know I've not done it!) I don't know what else to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Try this

power off
    hold down volume up + home + power all at once
    wait until the boot screen comes up and it will says recovery on the top (very small), let go at this point
    use the volume up and down to scroll and use the home button (or power button, not sure which) to select
    choose wipe cache
    than choose boot system

Be careful that you don't do a factory reset or wipe data.
    If there isn't a wipe cache option then just reboot. (Not fully sure of the stock recovery since I'm rooted with a custom recovery)

Try anyway and see does it help.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

G1032 wrote: »
    Try this

power off
    hold down volume up + home + power all at once
    wait until the boot screen comes up and it will says recovery on the top (very small), let go at this point
    use the volume up and down to scroll and use the home button (or power button, not sure which) to select
    choose wipe cache
    than choose boot system

Be careful that you don't do a factory reset or wipe data.
    If there isn't a wipe cache option then just reboot. (Not fully sure of the stock recovery since I'm rooted with a custom recovery)

Try anyway and see does it help.

Many thanks!
    It's working much better now - I don't feel the need to smash it anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

elderlemon wrote: »
    Its still under warranty. Take it back and get it fixed.

Thanks I actully dug out the receipt and it is still under warranty. I spoke to the ever unhelpful Vodafone Customer Crap Care today and their advice is to upgrade.

I don't think so...

I wonder will the GS4 be any better or should I just cut my losses and go for a different phone altogether. The last time I left a phone in with Vodafone, it took nearly a month before I got sorted.

Knine wrote: »

Thanks I actully dug out the receipt and it is still under warranty. I spoke to the ever unhelpful Vodafone Customer Crap Care today and their advice is to upgrade.

I don't think so...

I wonder will the GS4 be any better or should I just cut my losses and go for a different phone altogether. The last time I left a phone in with Vodafone, it took nearly a month before I got sorted.

Did you read my previous post?

You have rights which could entitle you to a full refund.

I would go to the retail outlet where you bought it.

Don't be fobbed of by offers of repair.

Just sayin'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Did you read my previous post?

You have rights which could entitle you to a full refund.

I would go to the retail outlet where you bought it.

Don't be fobbed of by offers of repair.

Just sayin'

Wrong, you are not entitled to a refund, you are entitled to a repair, then if all else fails a replacement or refund. You must accept their offer to repair

Yes I have to accept their offer of repair. I spoke to them today. Unfortunately I am not in a position to be without a phone for a week. I'm also very unhappy that I will be left in this situation as its not the first time. I was really messed about by Vodafone previously with iphones. It took me threatening legal action before it was resolved.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wrong, you are not entitled to a refund, you are entitled to a repair, then if all else fails a replacement or refund. You must accept their offer to repair

This is actually wrong. You are entitled to a repair, replacement or a refund. The law doesn't say what should be offered when. It's up to the consumer and retailer to come to an agreement. If they can't then that is what the small claims court is for.

This is actually wrong. You are entitled to a repair, replacement or a refund. The law doesn't say what should be offered when. It's up to the consumer and retailer to come to an agreement. If they can't then that is what the small claims court is for.

Correct, the three "R's". I'm referring to this case in question. If they offered a repair, which is usually what's offered first, they have fulfilled their legal obligation. You cannot demand a replacement or refund.

Correct, the three "R's". I'm referring to this case in question. If they offered a repair, which is usually what's offered first, they have fulfilled their legal obligation. You cannot demand a replacement or refund.

I'm nearly sure this is the case alright. However what I can do is say that as I'm not in contract, ask them to replace it as otherwise I'm going to spent my hard earned cash elsewhere.

• Advertisement

I provided docs and links from the NCA. Where are your links to information supporting what you say.

It is easy to say someone is wrong, but you should provide links to documentary evidence supporting your assertions.

Please show the evidence for what you say.

If people are dissatisfied with how retailers handle their returned goods with a major fault, there is a remedy in the Small Claims Court.

I feel there is a lot of disinformation about this area of consumer law.

People are being fobbed of by retailers telling them they must claim under guarantee, or claim off insurance, or wait for repair from repair centre.

Your contract is with the retailer, no one else. They must satisfy the test in relation to a "major" fault. You can insist on a refund, as per the NCA document.

If you wish to accept something else short of this, that is your choice. But the retailer cannot force you to accept this.

I provided docs and links from the NCA. Where are your links to information supporting what you say.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    If things go wrong
    If you have a problem with an item that you have bought it is always the seller who should put things right. As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.
    They are under no obligation to refund if the offer to repair

Well, not according to the body set up by the Irish Government under the 2007 Consumer Protection Act, the National Consumer Agency.
    http://www.nca.ie/about-us

About us

The National Consumer Agency (NCA) is a statutory body established by the Irish Government in May 2007 to enforce consumer law and promote consumer rights.

We represent the voice of the consumer, defending consumer interests at the highest levels of national and local decision-making. We provide you with information about your consumer rights and personal finance. We help you to manage your money, with useful tools and information to help you get the most from your money and help you make smart decisions.

This is what they advise in relation to faulty goods where you, the customer, are not to blame
    http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods

Faulty goods – your rights

Where goods turn out to be faulty and where you are not to blame, you have a number of options under consumer law. Faults with goods may be major or minor and present different issues for particular products.

If the fault is major, for example if you buy a mobile phone and it stops working shortly after you start using it due to a major fault with the phone, you have the option to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract.

If the fault is minor, for example a button is missing from a piece of clothing you bought, you have the option to request a repair, replacement, a reduction in the price you paid or a refund.

However, if the trader refuses to meet your requests or there is an unreasonable delay in providing one of these remedies, then you have the right to reject the goods and rescind the contract.

Your contract is with the retailer or supplier who sold you the goods or products so if there is a fault, it is up to them to fix it. You may also have extra protection if you have a guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer.

Reject & rescind

When you buy goods, you enter into a contract with the seller. If those goods turn out to be faulty and the fault is major, you are entitled to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract. If you simply reject the goods, for example, a broken bill-pay phone, you may still be tied into a contract unless you demand to cancel it without any penalty fees.

This option is complex and can depend on a number of factors. For example, the severity of the fault, the length of time since you bought the goods, and the inconvenience caused to you as a result of the fault. If a fault occurs within the first 6 months of purchase, it is assumed that is was there at the time of sale. It is important to remember that if you caused the fault, the trader is under no obligation to offer you any type of compensation.

So, as you see, it depends if the fault is considered to be Major or Minor.....and the nature of the fault, and indeed the time factor.

This may have to be decided by a court, as in the Small Claims Court, if the Retailer insists or refuses to comply.

Just to be clear, I have no argument with you póg.....

I believe you are in favour of consumer rights, and do not want to see anyone short-changed by retailers selling faulty goods to consumers....

but I simply believe that people are being bamboozled by these retailers, and the Service Providers, into giving up their consumer rights, which are enshrined in law, because of the complexity of the process.

Never forget, your contract is with the Retailer....

and if the goods you bought are faulty, in a major way, or even in a minor way, the onus is on the Retailer to rectify the situation, in a way acceptable to you, the Consumer.

What that means is, if the goods were not of merchantable quality or fit for purpose you would have the right to ask for your money back (major fault). In this case the phone was freezing, it would be classed as a minor fault, a simple software flash or factory reset would restore it back to working order. As it happens a simple cache clear was all it took to get it working again. If the screen was falling off you would have grounds to ask for your money back as it wasn't fit for purpose. The retailer have done no wrong, they offered to fix a minor fault which was all they were required to do. Going back in demanding your money back is not going to get you anywhere. The Sale of Goods Act is also there to protect the retailer.

Anyway, this thread has gone too far off topic.

What that means is, if the goods were not of merchantable quality or fit for purpose you would have the right to ask for your money back (major fault). In this case the phone was freezing, it would be classed as a minor fault, a simple software flash or factory reset would restore it back to working order. As it happens a simple cache clear was all it took to get it working again. If the screen was falling off you would have grounds to ask for your money back as it wasn't fit for purpose. The retailer have done no wrong, they offered to fix a minor fault which was all they were required to do. Going back in demanding your money back is not going to get you anywhere. The Sale of Goods Act is also there to protect the retailer.

Anyway, this thread has gone too far off topic.

So you now agree with NCA in the case of a major fault then?

Which fault is considered major or minor is debatable.

You don't know or are not in a position to say.

People here have complained of unusable phones. That is not minor in the eyes of a consumer.

The NCA gives an example of a faulty mobile phone.

You are allowed to demand a refund in the case of a major fault.

The NCA is actually there to protect the consumer, but you seem to be keen to protect Retailers at the expense of Consumers.

Oh FFS, don't you think you've dragged this thread off topic enough. All along I have been commenting on this individual case which was fixed 2 pages ago. It was a minor software fault, a simple cache clear fixed it, no biggie and no reason to be demanding your money back. Had the assistant in the shop been better clued up they could have done it (or a full factory reset).

Oh FFS, don't you think you've dragged this thread off topic enough. All along I have been commenting on this individual case which was fixed 2 pages ago. It was a minor software fault, a simple cache clear fixed it, no biggie and no reason to be demanding your money back. Had the assistant in the shop been better clued up they could have done it (or a full factory reset).

FFS?? Throwing your toys out of the pram my friend??

How is answering queries in this thread dragging it off-topic??

Last time I looked, this topic was entitled Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

What is your problem with the advice I have given póg?

Your first comment in this latest conversation was in reply to a post by me, and your first word was Wrong

I have engaged, in the interests of consumers who bought this device and have found it to be faulty in operation, in some cases people find it virtually unusable.

This is a major fault, in my opinion.

Please take a step back, and try to be objective.

Not everyone who buys an expensive piece of kit is necessarily a technical wizard, in fact, most people never root their phones, or flash custom ROM's or firmware etc.

Those people are entitled to expect that the expensive device will operate, out of the box, as it is supposed to, without software faults, etc.

They are not Beta testers on behalf of Samsung.

In fact, you seem to have had major problems with the Samsung S3 yourself, as shown in your post here recently, in the Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread
    I'll not be buying Samsung again either, having to endure 2 sudden death syndromes is too much while all they do is release a firmware that voids warranties to save themselves money

So, you want the people who are having problems with these phones to follow your advice, or not??

Ok anyone any ideas if clearing the cache will help me?

Unfortunately right now I'm not in a position to bring the phone into Vodafone.

And yes I agree with the above post saying people expect their device to work. I'm really pissed off that this has happened as I choose Samsung after numerous problems with the iphones I got from Vodafone.

Is there any way of saving the contacts so that I don't have to loose them all.

I think you've gone a little overboard now at this stage, especially digging up and misinterpreting comments I made in a completely different thread. Incidentally, I had no problem with the retailer accepting my phone for repair (twice), my issue is with Samsung who are replacing faulty motherboards with identical revision boards that could suffer the same outcome.
    Knine wrote: »
    Ok anyone any ideas if clearing the cache will help me?

Unfortunately right now I'm not in a position to bring the phone into Vodafone.

And yes I agree with the above post saying people expect their device to work. I'm really pissed off that this has happened as I choose Samsung after numerous problems with the iphones I got from Vodafone.

Is there any way of saving the contacts so that I don't have to loose them all.

Ten minutes with that phone and I'd have it like new. You can do it yourself, a factory reset and cache clear is not a big deal. You can easily back everything up, get SMS backup and Call Logs backup and run them. Your contacts are easily backed up by backing them up to your Google account. This way when you login to Google after a factory reset all your contacts will be there as Google contacts. Then you can install and restore all your SMS and Call logs. Factory reset does not wipe the contents of the internal or external SD cards, but if you have anything valuable like pictures you should be getting a backup of them to your PC just in case, to easily do this install Dropbox and use camera upload.

Thanks I will try this and see if it works. The last time I left a phone in with Vodafone, it was an ordeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

hi guys,

My play store button/icon has disappeared some how!

any ideas on how to get it back?

also i seem to have a lot of lag /redraw after hitting the home button......any way to speed this up?

I'm on 4.1.2

sandt wrote: »
    hi guys,

also i seem to have a lot of lag /redraw after hitting the home button......any way to speed this up?

I'm on 4.1.2

It may be best to prepare and do a factory reset. Much like PC's, smartphones do suffer from slowness and sometimes bugs after updates. You need a wipe every so often to keep it fresh

I think you've gone a little overboard now at this stage, especially digging up and misinterpreting comments I made in a completely different thread. Incidentally, I had no problem with the retailer accepting my phone for repair (twice), my issue is with Samsung who are replacing faulty motherboards with identical revision boards that could suffer the same outcome.

What misrepresentation??

I quoted your post, from another thread about "modding" S3's, that's all.

What did I say that misrepresented your own disillusionment with this particular device, or Samsung to be more precise.

As the customer, whose contract was with the retailer, you should not have to worry about dodgy revision motherboards from Samsung at all.

That should be for the retailer to sort out with Samsung.

But, it was entirely your choice to take the course of action you did.

You obviously did not view this fault as major.

[SDS x 2?? voided warranties by manufacturer?? so called repairs??]

But, you should not expect other's, who may be less technically knowledgeable than you to take the same course of action.

That is not reasonable.

Perhaps if you had insisted on getting a refund when first confronted with the problems you document, you would not have had subsequent problems??

I agree, we probably take a different view on this, and we won't agree, so we will leave it at that, unless you want to accuse me of misrepresenting what you said again, by to reference quotation.

OK :cool: we cool now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I agree, we probably take a different view on this, and we won't agree, so we will leave it at that

Yes, please!

If you want to argue about consumer rights please use consumer issues.

sandt wrote: »
    hi guys,

I'm on 4.1.2

Where has the icon disappeared, Home, App Drawer, or Dock??

Are you on a custom ROM or Stock??

If custom, have you flashed a new version? And GAPP's if CM or AOSP/AOKP ROM?

Did you do all wipes in Recovery??

Has this happened after an update to 4.1.2?? from??

Was it OTA* update??

*OTA is over the air, sometimes automatic, if you have checked Auto Update....sorry for jargon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

My phone has a cracked screen. I have it insured and will be sending it off to be repaired. I'm just wondering if I remove my sim card will my email automatically stop appearing on the phone or will I have to delete it and reinstall when I get the phone back.

kildaremum wrote: »
    My phone has a cracked screen. I have it insured and will be sending it off to be repaired. I'm just wondering if I remove my sim card will my email automatically stop appearing on the phone or will I have to delete it and reinstall when I get the phone back.

Your emails are tied to your Google account, not your sim card. You would be best doing a fectory reset before sending it back.

Great thank you

So is this what I should do. Go into 'Back up and reset' in Settings. Check 'Back up my data' and 'Automatic restore' and have gmail account as backup account, then go to Factory data reset and reset device.

Will my contacts then be backed up to gmail account. So when I get phone back how do I get my contacts and apps back?

• Advertisement

So is this what I should do. Go into 'Back up and reset' in Settings. Check 'Back up my data' and 'Automatic restore' and have gmail account as backup account, then go to Factory data reset and reset device.

Will my contacts then be backed up to gmail account. So when I get phone back how do I get my contacts and apps back?

Open the contacts app, open the app settings and you should have an option to back up to Google

Is Merge with Google same thing as back up

Is Merge with Google same thing as back up

Yes, login to Gmail on your PC and check they are there

Ok (stupid question) but where would they be on gmail account. I never use gmail account, usually use hotmail.

Ok (stupid question) but where would they be on gmail account. I never use gmail account, usually use hotmail.

In contacts, click where it says Gmail under Google on the top left and change it to contacts. You can edit and merge them now on a big screen and they will sync like that to your phone when you get it back

There are no contacts there ?

• Advertisement

There are no contacts there ?

Then they are not backed up.

Great, thank you. But when I go to 'Merge with Google' I see now that very quickly this message pops up for a sec 'No phone account contacts to merge with Google account'

Great, thank you. But when I go to 'Merge with Google' I see now that very quickly this message pops up for a sec 'No phone account contacts to merge with Google account'

Are your contacts on the sim card? You'll need to copy them to the phone

Most of them are on the phone. When I clicked 'Merge with Google' the Google g logo is beside them.

Maybe they just took few mins to transfer over or maybe I couldn't see them but low and behold they are there now in my contacts. Thanks very much for your help.

• Advertisement

Maybe they just took few mins to transfer over or maybe I couldn't see them but low and behold they are there now in my contacts. Thanks very much for your help.

Sort them out now in Google contacts, merge, edit them and add images to some of them if you want. They will then sync that way. You can even add them to groups, favorites, family, friends etc.

Ok I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anyone know how to turn off battery power warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Can those having freezing/resetting issues tell me if a recent update seemed to cause them?

I ran an over-the-air update 2 weeks ago, and the phone became slow doing basic things, then started freezing this week and giving a blank screen (no LEDs at all, even when plugged in).

Currently I'm on 4.1.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Can those having freezing/resetting issues tell me if a recent update seemed to cause them?

I ran an over-the-air update 2 weeks ago, and the phone became slow doing basic things, then started freezing this week and giving a blank screen (no LEDs at all, even when plugged in).

Currently I'm on 4.1.2.
    Yes mine started freezing in the last few weeks. Still happened after a factory reset and now after restarting phone today it doesn't get any further than boot logo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Hi all,
    Battery is being drained in a major way in the past week. "media server" is draining 25% of the battery apparently whatever that is.
    Any suggestions that don't involve a factory reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

acurno wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Battery is being drained in a major way in the past week. "media server" is draining 25% of the battery apparently whatever that is.

Its probably your sd card .....could be damaged...well thats what happened to mine anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

acurno wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm getting much higher battery drain lately too.

It was great when I got the ELLA firmware update to solve the sudden death problem : that firmware seemed to really work wonders for the battery and I was getting 36 hours easily with moderate to heavy use (about 5 hours screen time too, altogether about a 30% improvement over previous firmware).

But then with the OTA that came out a couple of weeks ago, and moreso with the one this week, battery drain seems worse than ever.

I'm on 38% right now, down from unplugging from a full charge 9 hours ago. Just under 2 hours screen time, no 3D stuff, just basic browsing.

I noticed that the minute it was unplugged, battery indicator went to 97%, which is weird. I've put no new apps on in the last few weeks that would be any extra drain.

I'm guessing this is a firmware issue and another OTA will be along soon to fix it.

Anyone else linking battery drain to latest updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

betterbatterystats.

search xda for the free apk

see what's causing the battery drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

the stock predictive text its utter garbage .

• Advertisement
Advertisement