Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stray cat and Kittens

• 22-06-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all, posting this for my sister, she needs advice regarding a stray cat in her garden. The female has already had two kittens and she seems to be expecting again. My sister began to feed this cat as a kitten and has gained an amount of trust with her but not enough to catch her in a cage.The first litter of kittens were born in her back garden but when my sister began to pet them the mother moved them, they are now terrified of humans. My sister is willing to feed the mother and the two kittens but needs them neutered. The problem is catching them and getting this done. Are there any organisations that can do this? Any advice would be grately appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I have a trap she could borrow. It is in Celbridge.
    She would have to pay for the neutering herself.
    You can try the likes of Cats aid or dspca but she might have to offer a donation as thye are up to their eyeballs with kittens.
    The momma will need to be trapped and neutered asap if she is pregnant.
    Are the kittens weaned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Hi Themadhouse, Thank you for your reply. The two kittens are weaned and my sister is feeding them as well as the mother. She had a bad experience with the DSPCA already so is reluctant to call them again, they destroyed a tom that she called them out to collect as he was ill, they said that it would be impossible to tame him as he was too old. My sister explained that they could return him to her garden when he was better but they said no that he would be destroyed, it left her feeling extremely guilty.Thanks for the offer of the trap, I will call her today to let her know, I am in Celbridge and she can collect it from me (she lives in Lucan). Can the mother be neutered while pregnant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

She should be able to neutered even if pregnant. Offer still stands to borrow the trap.
    Did she try cats aid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

louliewan wrote: »
    Lucan). Can the mother be neutered while pregnant?
    Yes. It happens all the time as cats are such prolific breeders. They can become pregnant pretty much straightaway after giving birth. Its not pleasant but its reality unfortunately.

OP take up the offer of the trap above. It might take a few gos to catch her but the trick is to keep her hungry for a day or 2. It feels awful for you and the whole experience is stressful for her, but tbh its best for her in the long run i think.

Advertisement