Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month old sleeping on tummy

Options
  • 22-06-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Our little one is almost 6 months old. But each time we put her down to sleep on her back, she flips over on to her tummy. It happens every time.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this and if its ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if it worries you, get some gro-bags, that'll make her less mobile and keep her from getting right over.

you'll probably need to find some light ones tho, given that it's getting warm at night now.

our 10 month old boy has been doing it too (along with on his back, on his side and on his front with his arse sticking up in the air!) for the last few months since we stopped with the gro-bags when it got warmer, but it's only supposed to be an issue for younger babies as far as i'm aware, so we've left him to it as he sleeps a lot better being able to move around.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hey, our little lad started doing this at around the same age, and still does it.. he just loves to be on his tummy..

Like you, I used to fret over it because the 'guidelines' tell us not to put them on their tummy.. but my feeling on it now is, if they have the strength to push themselves onto their belly, then they have the power to flip back if need be..

Just make sure she has plenty of space around her, don't put loads of blankets and teddies etc in with her.. make sure she's got lots of air circulating around her..

I don't really see what else we can do bar sit beside them all night :o

Edit: yeah the grobags are great if you're little one will sleep in them.. my little guy used to strain to get them off him once he got past around 5 months.. he's a very warm baby.. would sweat really bad in them..

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Once they have the ability to roll themselves over there is no need to worry about back vs tummy.

Plus, just give it a few years and they'll be telling us all to put them sleeping on their tummies instead of their backs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

xzanti wrote: »
    Hey, our little lad started doing this at around the same age, and still does it.. he just loves to be on his tummy..

Like you, I used to fret over it because the 'guidelines' tell us not to put them on their tummy.. but my feeling on it now is, if they have the strength to push themselves onto their belly, then they have the power to flip back if need be..

Just make sure she has plenty of space around her, don't put loads of blankets and teddies etc in with her.. make sure she's got lots of air circulating around her..

I don't really see what else we can do bar sit beside them all night :o

Edit: yeah the grobags are great if you're little one will sleep in them.. my little guy used to strain to get them off him once he got past around 5 months.. he's a very warm baby.. would sweat really bad in them..

Hey xzanti, yeah I spent the last 20 minutes standing beside the cot. If my wife saw me she'd think Id lost it!! But the 3 times I turned her on to her back, she woke and cried until she flipped back onto her tummy. And she's flat out now! So I think Ill just leave her.
    Oh and she's in a grobag already but still manages to flip over!!

Gandhi wrote: »
    Once they have the ability to roll themselves over there is no need to worry about back vs tummy.

Plus, just give it a few years and they'll be telling us all to put them sleeping on their tummies instead of their backs anyway.

I know Ghandi. Sure my niece is 4 and when she was born my sister was told to put her sleeping on her side! 4 years later we're told to put them on their backs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Hi,
    I remember when my little one start flipping to her tummy, I was up every hour to put her back. It took me time to relax and I found out that once they are able to lift themselfs on their hands it's ok to sleep on a tummy :). Also as previous poster mentioned, keep a clear space around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the whole sleeping on their back thing is based on recent research that shows something like a 50% decrease in SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) in babies who sleep on their back as opposed to their fronts.

35 years ago when i was a baby, it was the accepted norm for babies to be left on their stomachs for safety, but science is learning new things all the time, so we have to go with the most up to date info we have and current research say on their back is safest at first, but once they can turn over themselves, there's not a whole lot you can do about it either way unless you want to pin them down and sit next to them all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was terrified the first time I saw my son sleeping on his tummy but I asked more experienced mammies and they said if they can flip themselves over onto their tummies then they can flip themselves back again. It still didn't stop me standing over his cot.

Whitelightrider I can't believe your lo is 6 months!!! Where does the time go eh! Congrats :)

I was terrified the first time I saw my son sleeping on his tummy but I asked more experienced mammies and they said if they can flip themselves over onto their tummies then they can flip themselves back again. It still didn't stop me standing over his cot.

Whitelightrider I can't believe your lo is 6 months!!! Where does the time go eh! Congrats :)

Hey How Strange, I know. Seems like only yesterday I was harrassing you guys for advice on breast feeding and windy babies for myself and my wife. Now our lo is on solids and seems to be doing really well.
    Was so funny last night because we are guilty of letting her sleep in the bed because she had such bad wind and we needed the sleep. Last night I put her in the cot and my wife came home. Lo one up and we fed her at 12 and we decided to put her into the bed again so we could sleep. She was having none of it! Cried to go back into her cot because its more comfortable for her to flip onto her tummy! My wife and I were sitting on the bed looking at each other in disbelief!!!
    Anyway Im up getting her next batch of pureed food ready! The joys of being a daddy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

My little girl can only sleep on her tummy... I know it's not recommended but there's nothing I can do. She's just over a month old now. I used to be very anxious but then I saw how mobile she is and how she can hold her head up and I'm more confident she won't get stuck choking...

• Advertisement
Advertisement