Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Install my broadband within 24hrs or else i'll kill you!"

• 22-06-2012 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Man goes to some length to get his promised broadband, you'd swear it was made of gold the way he kidnapped the UPC rep!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0622/breaking42.html
    A man has been sentenced for falsely imprisoning a cable TV salesman after waiting at home for two days for an engineer from the company to show up.

Dariusz Pelc (38) threatened to cut the UPC salesman’s fingers off and later told him he would kill him if his broadband wasn’t installed within 24 hours.

He was given a four-year suspended sentence but ordered to return to his native Poland to serve an outstanding two-year sentence for threatening behaviour.

His co-accused, Lukasz Pietruch (31), who assaulted the salesman, was sentenced to three months, suspended on condition he hands over €1,750 compensation to the victim.

Pelc, of Old Court Lodge, Firhouse, pleaded guilty to false imprisonment and making threats.

Pietruch, with an address at Ballymount Cottages, Clondalkin pleaded guilty to assault.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring promised to jail Pelc if he gets into trouble on his return to Ireland. She said it was understandable he was frustrated at UPC’s behaviour but that his response was completely inappropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Disappointed Craig Doyle didn't show up...

.. if only for the fact he'd be off our screens for a full 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

yeah, I get angry about technicians calling themselves Engineers too. but this might be extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

As someone who has lost 9 vacation days due to UPC engineers not showing up, I can sympathise. He's still an @sshole though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Craig Doyle will be eliminated"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

So did he get his broadband or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I know it's bad and everything but I hope this scares the shite out of the rest of them so they actually start treating people properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ordered to return to his native Poland to serve an outstanding two-year sentence for threatening behaviour.
    Pelc has a history of using violence against others.

Why was this thug let into the country in the first place?

Are there any controls to screen for criminals, there are plenty here already without bringing in more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

mikemac1 wrote: »

Are there any controls to screen for criminals, there are plenty here already without bringing in more

I'm gonna guess something along the lines of him threatening the passport control people to let him through or he'd kill them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

hah, good answer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

"Judge Mary Ellen Ring promised to jail Pelc if he gets into trouble on his return to Ireland"

Eh, return? why the fck would this asshole be allowed back in here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

ordered to return to his native Poland to serve an outstanding two-year sentence for threatening behaviour.
    Pelc has a history of using violence against others.

No don't think so, once its EU.
    Same way Larry Murphy was able to go to Spain when released. i doubt they wanted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Idiots signed people up for broadband and didnt bother their holes hooking them up costing a guy two days wages. And they are surprised an employee was threatened ?

The guy clearly wasnt right if he lured the dude in, held him for 40 minutes and threatened him though.

Two lessons from this as I see it. People with a criminal history shouldnt be let into the country. And UPC need to improve their shítty service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, no controls from anywhere in the EU. You could be a mass serial killer and migrate to Ireland if you like. Of course if the serial killer is known in his own country, their police might notify the Gardai of his impending arrival. If unknown, lock yourself inside your house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

As someone who has lost 9 vacation days due to UPC engineers not showing up, I can sympathise. He's still an @sshole though.

What how did you lose 9 vacation days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

michellie wrote: »
    The hood on his Cadillac fell down on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Do Irish people have vacations? I've only ever had holidays...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Only when the Guards tell people to vacate the premises when it's three hours past closing time.

michellie wrote: »

Very persistent broadband connection issues for almost 3 years. 220+ calls to their helpdesk where they keep sending engineers who then show up at either the wrong time of the day, the entirely wrong day, or just stick a note in the letterbox saying that there was no answer.

Of course, there was always the option of waiting 2 weeks for a weekend visit, but I'm rather impatient when my broadband isn't working.

American company. Vacation days. It actually makes more sense. To me, Holidays = Easter, Christmas etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm on his side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Used to work in call center, once had a granny who locked the tech in her living room until the TV was fixed, didn't threaten him though, although that might have gotten it working, she called me up to say he was not leaving until it was fixed.

*Adds hostage negotiator to the CV*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

NO wonder all the Irish fans had such a good time in Poland,they have shipped all their thugs and undesirables here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

That lad is a hero.

He stuck it to UPC for their ****ty service on behalf of us all.

I lost two days work (therefore no pay) waiting on an engineer that never showed , despite being promised after day 1 that he would be there on day 2.
    Not as much as an apology.

When Engineer eventually showed on a sat (3rd day) said he'd nothing to apologise about cos nobody told him, told him to **** off then .Maybe I should have taken a shears (if I had some) to his fingers. I feel inadequate reading the story now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know how that Polish fella feels - NTL/UPC the name changes the service doesn't.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33277

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

That lad is a hero.

I lost two days work (therefore no pay) waiting on an engineer that never showed , despite being promised after day 1 that he would be there on day 2.

When Engineer eventually showed on a sat (3rd day) said he'd nothing to apologise about cos nobody told him, told him to **** off then .Maybe I should have taken a shears (if I had some) to his fingers. I feel inadequate reading the story now.

He was likely just a contactor who was given your job to do that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

That lad is a hero.

Are trolls illegal yet?

A hot headed asshat and his hotheaded asshat friend decided to resort to threats and violence after not being able to go on redtube? I wouldn't really be fighting their corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

gurramok wrote: »
    Man goes to some length to get his promised broadband, you'd swear it was made of gold the way he kidnapped the UPC rep!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0622/breaking42.html
    the guy did not know that in Ireland, if you are told the job will be done tomorrow, it mean - in the next 2 months..maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

MagicSean wrote: »
    He was likely just a contactor who was given your job to do that day.

Oh right. That makes everything OK.

Oh wait, no it doesn't.............

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the guy did not know that in Ireland, if you are told the job will be done tomorrow, it mean - in the next 2 months..maybe...
    :rolleyes:

Before the wall came down the East was legendary for service,
    A customer orders a Trabant car. The salesman tells him to come back to pick it up in nine years. The customer: "Shall I come back in the morning or in the evening then?" The sellers: "You're joking, aren't you." The customer: "No, not at all. It's just that I need to know; the plumber is coming in the afternoon."

• Advertisement

Oh right. That makes everything OK.

Oh wait, no it doesn't.............

Why would he apologise if he had done nothing wrong? He certainly didn't deserve to be told to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

MagicSean wrote: »
    Why would he apologise if he had done nothing wrong? He certainly didn't deserve to be told to **** off.

Pretty sure it's called common decency. Or at very least good customer relations.

Pretty sure it's called common decency. Or at very least good customer relations.

You aren't his customer. He is a contractor. Common decency doesn't extend to apologising for other peoples mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sappa wrote: »
    NO wonder all the Irish fans had such a good time in Poland,they have shipped all their thugs and undesirables here.

I knew there'd be one. Didn't know who or when, but I knew there'd be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That lad is a hero.

Whatever you think about UPC, the engineers/call centre guys are not responsible for causing your problems. I honestly don't think I'd be able to do a job like that Engineer, because I would have left the "customer" with his head kicked in after a threat like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Basq wrote: »
    Disappointed Craig Doyle didn't show up...

.. if only for the fact he'd be off our screens for a full 48 hours.

I went onto the RTE player to watch the Apres Match Craig Doyle sketch only to have to watch an ad by Craig Doyle before it came on. :rolleyes:

Only in Ireland could this happen. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Haha, the nutter was standing up to UPC "on behalf of us all" - sure seems the social justice campaigning type all right. :p
    LordSmeg wrote: »
    Idiots signed people up for broadband and didnt bother their holes hooking them up costing a guy two days wages. And they are surprised an employee was threatened ?
    Where does it say they're surprised he was threatened? The behaviour isn't in the least justifiable. Anger is understandable for sure but that thug and his pal deserved consequences (although the friend's punishment is stupidly lenient - no surprises there though).
    The sales rep operates separately to the technician also. He just picked a soft target. How is it the rep's fault the tech didn't show up? It is atrocious not to turn up but I doubt the reason is simply "not bothering their holes".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is only a matter of time before someone is killed. Do these companies not have any compunction about making appointments and not keeping them? People are supposed to sit effectively under house arrest waiting on their convenience. If it was a government department doing, that there would be uproar.

The problem is that the tech is not directly employed by UPC.

It's the only company I've ever had a problem with but they sorted things out for me really well and refunded me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Nodin wrote: »

I knew there'd be one. Didn't know who or when, but I knew there'd be one.
    Same as there is always one from the PC brigade shining their moralistic badge to the rest of us who call a spade a spade.

• Advertisement

... or a wog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Same as there is always one from the PC brigade shining their moralistic badge to the rest of us who call a spade a spade.

No, I'm pointing out the intrinsic stupidity of your statement. A criminal from any country here does not mean that the country in question dumped its criminals over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It's no joke. It's frustrating at first coming here and having to put up with crap service all the time. They act like they're doing you a favour when your the one handing over the cash. In a lot a of cases I've just learned how to do things myself rather then having to deal with paying someone else to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 smirker

I am not hopeful that the company will learn anything from this. I have spent days in my house waiting for technicians and washing machine repairmen. It should be an offence to mislead someone as to the time that a technician will call.

Advertisement