Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying/Selling Domain Names

Options
  • 22-06-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a few domain names in mind that I could buy and sell for a profit. I used to have a domain name registered with Register365 for my own site, so I thought that I could use it for buying the domains. What I want to know is how easy is it to resell my domain when registered with Register365 on a site such as Sedo etc. and if it wouldn't be suitable, which domain name registering site would you recommend?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your time,
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

Sedo is fine, also look at Afternic. Doesn't really matter where the domain is registered initially as long as you can unlock the domain & obtain the code to transfer it when necessary.

When you mean buying domains, do you mean you will just register new domains & try to flip them for a profit ?

Or are you looking to buy domains (maybe on the secondary market), develop them, then sell them on ?

It is not as easy as you may think to make money from domains.

The first is a mugs game ... a bit like panning for gold, sure you can find the occasional nugget but most of the time is spent up to your arse in muddy water. But as a rule, if a domain is not already registered, then it probably isn't going to be worth much to anyone unless you develop it & sell it to the right motivated buyer.

The second way can produce real returns *IF* you know what you are doing, but there is no fast money in domaining - it is usually a long term play.

BTW, don't even think about trying to sell a .ie name, its not allowed, at least not overtly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

There is a great section on the Digital Point forums for domain name marketers, and it seems there is still money in domain names if you catch some words that are trending or emerging, for example "3d", and so forth.

I do feel that there are many people who over evaluate their own domain names. The domain game can be a real money drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Thanks guys, for the info. Much appreciated.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 vikashmundaa

you should create a portfolio of domain rather than selling an individual domain this greately increase the chances of getting a better deal, sedo is good but also look out for other alternative apart from digitalpoint there are webhostingtalk, sitepoint where you can sell domain.

Advertisement