Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creating a wireless LAN bridge

Options
  • 22-06-2012 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

hi i am looking for recommendations as to the options available to extend a network from one property to another 800M apart, it does not have perfect line of sight.

i was thinking of say a 130 deg sector pointing to property B from Property A

ARC-VS2718SV1.png

and then use a ubiquiti Nanostation on property B to pick up the wider spread of the 130 deg signal, would the wider spread of the signal improve the overall pickup of the signal at property B? the gear would be running at 5.8GHZ.

opinions / suggestions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You will have a stronger signal from a narrower beam. Why not just use 2x Ubiquiti M5's or Nanobridges? You're pushing things on 5.8Ghz without line of sight though, it does not cope with poor line of sight very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

i was thinking that i would stand a better chance with a wider beam, considering that they are so close, and that the wider beam might work better if there was a bit of a tree in the way.

what other options might work better?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Use two Nanostation M2s, sectors would be a disaster with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Without line of sight I doubt you'll have much success with anything on 5.8 especially with a tree, it's always moving. Wet leaves on a windy day would cause mayhem. M5's would be fine with clear line of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Canopy is extremely overkill for what you're trying to do, besides the fact it costs thousands.
    For non-LOS at 800 meters you need 2.4Ghz so use either two NanoStation M2s or two NanoBridge M2s.
    I often see the severe affects of rain on leaves of tree here with just a 120 meter link on 2.4ghz, signal is almost halved and speed reduced a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 samuelj

what is in the line of sight, trees?

I have setup two nanostations m5 in a similar situation and all worked fine. once you have your nanostation in property A working as the transmitter you can easily scan the best frequency from property b.

they are great kit I use them all the time, I got the last two for under 200
    hi i am looking for recommendations as to the options available to extend a network from one property to another 800M apart, it does not have perfect line of sight.

i was thinking of say a 130 deg sector pointing to property B from Property A

ARC-VS2718SV1.png

and then use a ubiquiti Nanostation on property B to pick up the wider spread of the 130 deg signal, would the wider spread of the signal improve the overall pickup of the signal at property B? the gear would be running at 5.8GHZ.

opinions / suggestions welcome

Advertisement