Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction on rugby forum

Options
  • 22-06-2012 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there -

I've received a completely unwarranted infraction for 'uncivil posting' in the rugby forum.

Here's the warning:
    Dear Monty Burnz,

You have been warned for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

mikedragon32

Moderator Note

Cut out the petty squabbling. This warning is for several posts, not just this one.

Astonished by this accusation of 'uncivility', I asked the mod in question to cite these 'uncivil' posts. The posts he said were uncivil are all quoted below <context in brackets>:

<Discussing the IRB junior world championship final which has just finished, relaying events for those who can't see it, I note that the South African captain gives a little speech about god before his TV interview and give it the rolling eyes smiley - another poster says he doesn't see what the problem is>
    If I want to hear about Allah or Thor or the Great Beast Who Dwells in the Forest, I'll tune into some religious event.
    <some other posts from me and others>
    <other poster says that after that effort, he can thank who he likes>
    Sure he has the right, and I have the right to complain about it.
    <other poster agrees>
    <post by another poster telling me to post on After Hours, back seat modding>
    Cheers - why don't you start a thread on the U19 rugby world championship there and I'll post about it in that.
    The point here is that this comment is in specific reference to the rugby event I am watching and relating live.
    <some more posts from me and others>
    <Back seat mod tells me again not to mention religion on rugby forum>
    I'm talking about something that just happened at the junior rugby world cup final that many here were watching. I'll thank you for not telling me what I can and can't talk about.

Sorry if you were waiting for the good stuff. That's it. That's the 'uncivil' posting I was infracted for. It's not even 'impolite', never mind 'uncivil'. I doubt anybody I was addressing found my posts uncivil (they certainly didn't seem to think so) but I think an over-eager mod, for his own reasons, decided to see something that was not there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi Monty Burnz,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to deal with it, but as it's a quick one I'll deal with it here anyway.

You said:
    If I want to hear about Allah or Thor or the Great Beast Who Dwells in the Forest, I'll tune into some religious event.

The mod deemed that this was uncivil (if we need a definition, this works: "civilized conduct; especially : courtesy, politeness b : a polite act or expression.").

You got a very minor slap on the wrist (a yellow card "Warning") for that post in conjunction with a bunch of others where essentially you dragged the discussion off topic.

If we look at the Rugby forum charter we can find:
    Bringing religion or politics into this forum will result in a ban....

A straight ban could be justified on that basis and given the amount of mod and admin time this issue has now taken up, as well as the disruption to the original thread, I think you're very lucky to only have a yellow card.

Take the penalty, retreat 10 yards, and turn and face. Don't have a go at the ref for enforcing the laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Trojan wrote: »
    Hi Monty Burnz,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to deal with it, but as it's a quick one I'll deal with it here anyway.

You said:

The mod deemed that this was uncivil (if we need a definition, this works: "civilized conduct; especially : courtesy, politeness b : a polite act or expression.").
    Can you please explain what is uncivil about these posts? Because I don't think anyone outside the mods involved and those required to rubber stamp their (odd) decisions can see it. Thanks.
    You got a very minor slap on the wrist (a yellow card "Warning") for that post in conjunction with a bunch of others where essentially you dragged the discussion off topic.

If we look at the Rugby forum charter we can find:

A straight ban could be justified on that basis and given the amount of mod and admin time this issue has now taken up, as well as the disruption to the original thread, I think you're very lucky to only have a yellow card.
    A straight ban could be justified on the basis of a lack of civility that nobody can demonstrate? I'm afraid the amount of mod time this is taking up is a consequence not of what I wrote, but the totally unmerited 'slap on the wrist'.

If you are going to stand by this decision, you or the mod involved will have to explain how my posts are more 'uncivil' than any other series of posts I can pick out on the rugby forum that were not given a slap on the wrist.

Otherwise, this begins to look like a case of bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Incidentally, you can bin the charge of 'dragging the thread off topic' as I only made two posts (out of several dozen posted on the forum today) on the subject of the guy's religious speech - one mentioning it, and one explaining the rolleyes when questioned on them. I and others continued the discussion of the match and the championship in parallel with the posts outlined above. If anyone tried to drag the thread off-topic, it was the guy who had a problem with those (on-topic) posts by suggesting I post elsewhere.

Of course, you'd know this if you had read the thread. Or even the summary I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ok Monty, please post a new thread in the DR forum and we'll go through the process in full.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement