Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

designing fireplace

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Just make sure when you build chimney that clay pots and lintel are high enough.

Generally when you put inset stove into wall its top exit flue and aprox 6in's back from face of firplace, so if you build block firplace and then face of with brick its quite a distance from front of brick to flue.
    So leave lintel up high to leave enough room for flue exiting the stove to get a few slow bends to Aline with clay flue, ease of cleaning etc

Also remember to give any timber shelf or mantle enough distance/clearance between it and top of ope/stove you plan in installing,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I had similar done last year.

Demolished an old horrible 1970s style red brick fireplace and had a new chimney breast/fireplace built to accomodate a Stovax multi fuel insert stove.
    Also fitted a twin walled stainless steel flexi flue liner of 6 inch bore,to match the 6 inch outlet of the stove

I went for a smooth plastered finish and painted it.We burn briquettes and logs in the stove,and it chucks out some serious heat too.The house is also very well internaly insulated too,which also helps.

All you would need to do for a red brick finish is apply the new block chimney breast with a natural stone or redbrick facia/cladding.

This will give you your red brick/rustic look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

paddy147 wrote: »
    I went for a smooth plastered finish and painted it.

looks great, but does it not get easily dirty? i would imagine that the wall around the door tends to get dirty from smoke when fire's on and also when handling ash... what's your experience?

tsuzmir wrote: »
    looks great, but does it not get easily dirty? i would imagine that the wall around the door tends to get dirty from smoke when fire's on and also when handling ash... what's your experience?

The stove has an airwash system and you open that up when you open the stove door,so that smoke or flames doesnt come billowing out.

Also theres an inbuilt ask tray system and shovel that you simply slide out and empty into a bin.

Never had a problem,in over a year now.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

paddy147 wrote: »
    The stove has an airwash system and you open that up when you open the stove door,so that smoke or flames doesnt come billowing out.

Also theres an inbuilt ask tray system and shovel that you simply slide out and empty into a bin.

Never had a problem,in over a year now.:D
    thanks Paddy!

• Advertisement

tsuzmir wrote: »
    thanks Paddy!

No problem.:)

Advertisement