Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice

• 22-06-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Lads,bit of a dilemma here.
    I chose applied maths as one of my subject but I've changed my mind,I want to do one of the business subjects.I'll be doing applied maths at home and one of the business subjects in school.

The question I have is if I don't get business and have to do economics or accounting would they be in any way useful if I were to do a business&german course ? The requirements say you don't need a business subject just a C1 in German :confused:
    Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

paddyzk wrote: »
    I chose applied maths as one of my subject but I've changed my mind,I want to do one of the business subjects.I'll be doing applied maths at home and one of the business subjects in school.

The question I have is if I don't get business and have to do economics or accounting would they be in any way useful if I were to do a business&german course ? The requirements say you don't need a business subject just a C1 in German :confused:
    Thanks !

Well, I don't do Business, but I do accounting and apparently there is some (not a lot) of overlap between the two. In business you do do some accounts and ratios which are major parts of the accounting course. There is also some break-even charts and general theory concepts which are similar. I can't advise you on economics but apparently it is a reasonable course and not too stressful (lot of choice on the paper I heard! :L ) Also, accounting is quite repetitive, but frustrating at times! Economics is relatively short and seems enjoyable!

If you have a look http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/ed_lc_subjects.php?ed_sub_cat_id=7 there might be some help in which subjects may appeal to you more. Sorry I can't be much help!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Economics is definitely the most interesting out of the 3. Very topical and very easy to do well in. It is a business subject, so need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Sound lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

Thanks !

'Business' in college will most likely involve a bit of business, economics and accounting

My advice, don't do business in school! Do accounting or economics (i did both for the leaving), they're more difficult but you're way better off to have a teacher in school explain them to you than to start in college, if you start them in first year in college they'll probably move quite quickly and they'll be harder to follow, from what i can gather 'business' is just a lot of information that you learn off, that would be much easier to pick up in college

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Do Applied Maths in school and Business/Economics outside school! Honestly, Applied Maths will probably be a nightmare to teach yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Thanks !

I did all 3 Business Subjects up until the end 5th year (then I dropped Accounting as I hated it), but I did Economics outside of school and self-taught it. It's a gorgeous subject and I would definitely recommend you do it if you can! It's not hard at all, and despite what people say, you don't need a Teacher to teach you the Micro. Just think about it rationally and you'll see it makes sense! I got an A2 in the Mock and am fairly confident of getting an A2 at least again. Go for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Do Applied Maths in school and Business/Economics outside school! Honestly, Applied Maths will probably be a nightmare to teach yourself!

I think I'd have trouble trying to teach myself business outside of school.I'd find it easier to teach myself applied maths.I have more of aptitude to maths/probem solving than I do rote learning.Maybe though,I'll keep it in mind.

I did all 3 Business Subjects up until the end 5th year (then I dropped Accounting as I hated it), but I did Economics outside of school and self-taught it. It's a gorgeous subject and I would definitely recommend you do it if you can! It's not hard at all, and despite what people say, you don't need a Teacher to teach you the Micro. Just think about it rationally and you'll see it makes sense! I got an A2 in the Mock and am fairly confident of getting an A2 at least again. Go for it! :)

How did you go about doing it ? did you get a book and exam papers and just work away at them ? Did you find it hard too motivate yourself to do it ?Tbh I think I'd be able for it but I might drop down to pass english to take some of the workload,crap at english anyway. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

How did you go about doing it ? did you get a book and exam papers and just work away at them ? Did you find it hard too motivate yourself to do it ?Tbh I think I'd be able for it but I might drop down to pass english to take some of the workload,crap at english anyway. :L

I bought Rapid Revision Economics and the exam papers, picked the easiest topics and started learning them, after each chapter I would look at the exam questions on each topic and attempt to answer them. Marking schemes are essential in this subject though, I found choosing a topic, looking at all the questions that had ever come up for that topic, printing the marking schemes and learning from them was the best thing you could do. Economics is a precise subject, you need certain 'buzz' words to ensure you get your marks. It is extremely enjoyable and fairly predictable though! The exam has a great choice in itself also: it's laid out as follows:

Short Questions- 100 marks

You do 6/9 shorts

Long Questions (3 parts to each question) 75 each (300 marks)

They give you 8, you have to do any 4. Every year you're almost guaranteed:
    • Market Structure (has to be one every year)
    • Supply/Demand & Elasticity
    • Factors Of Production
    • National Income
    • International Trade

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

No matter how good you are at maths, you will definitely need a teacher. There'll be problems you won't be able to figure out and you'll need a teacher. You don't have this problem with business/economics. I really do not advise doing Applied Maths or Accounting outside of school. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you do. :)

Advertisement