Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woren threads on right crankset?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hopefully some of you experienced cyclist can help me out.

I made rookie mistake i think. I bought new pedals last week and put them on to try them out during the week. I was doing a duathlon this evening so replaced the pedals back to the cages as i wasn't confident enough on the clipless ones yet. About 5 miles into the cycle i noticed something wasn't right on the right side. Kept going but eventually looked down to see the pedal was alomost fully out. To my shame i had to get off and walk back:mad:. Anyway the threads are completely woren on the right side of the crank set.

I am sure i put the right pedals in the right side but did noticed the right side been a bit more difficult to get in but thought it was me making it hard.

What are my options?

Remedial work an option? How much?

if not

New crankset? How much?

I've a fuji newest 3.0 - i believe the crankset is fuji forged 30/34/50T

What a dummy :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

digdeep wrote: »
    Hopefully some of you experienced cyclist can help me out.

I made rookie mistake i think. I bought new pedals last week and put them on to try them out during the week. I was doing a duathlon this evening so replaced the pedals back to the cages as i wasn't confident enough on the clipless ones yet. About 5 miles into the cycle i noticed something wasn't right on the right side. Kept going but eventually looked down to see the pedal was alomost fully out. To my shame i had to get off and walk back:mad:. Anyway the threads are completely woren on the right side of the crank set.

I am sure i put the right pedals in the right side but did noticed the right side been a bit more difficult to get in but thought it was me making it hard.

What are my options?

Remedial work an option? How much?

if not

New crankset? How much?

I've a fuji newest 3.0 - i believe the crankset is fuji forged 30/34/50T

What a dummy :o

The right hand side is a left hand thread it would be impossible to put on a right hand thread . You quite possibly didn't the male thread perfectly straight going into the female . So you have prob torn the threads.

Couple of options . See if you can find a left hand tap and try retread it. You may get lucky .

If that fails a machine shop would fix it up handy enough. Any mates in the trade?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My mech told me this week that if I happened to damage the threads in the crank it would mean a new crank. Did you screw the pedal in the right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

If that fails a machine shop would fix it up handy enough. Any mates in the trade?[/QUOTE]

No don't think so. Going to head to LBS tomorrow morning to see if he can help but i know he'll say new set

Thanks, will ask a few people if they know anyone in machine shop

Oryx wrote: »
    My mech told me this week that if I happened to damage the threads in the crank it would mean a new crank. Did you screw the pedal in the right way?

Not even sure because i was rushing it because i had two screaming kids to watch. Any idea on cost for new set?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No idea on cost because all I was told was expensive! Where I work we often have to repair torn threads in things like cylinder heads. We use a thing called an insert. (not a helicoil). You could ask about that.

• Advertisement

Thanks Oryx.

Had a feeling it would be expensive! Will check all options, this bike craic is getting costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Im a bike numpty..

After a few weeks on my first road bike about three or four years ago I changed over to clipless pedals. Cycling up a hill 20mins into a spin and the right pedal felt a bit wonkey, I kept cycling and it got worse, so stopped. Pedal had undone itself and torn most of the threads in the crank. My mate is a cyclist and had something to reset/fix the threads that were recoverable (the rest were totally worn away), so we did that and superglued the pedals in permanently. I still use the bike regularly and have never had any issues with it, just cant change the pedals or take them off for travelling with the bike.

I asked about fixing it in my LBS because I'd like to use the bike for commuting now without needing bike shoes, and they said it would be 150quid to replace the crankset (i think thats what its called?).

I take a lot more care with messing with the pedals on my new bike now.

Advertisement