Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't engage reverse gear.

• 22-06-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a suzuki Jimny and I can't get into reverse gear. At first it was only reverse gear but now I have noticed that the difficulty is whenever I push the gear lever back - in other words into gears 2, 4 and reverse. When I push the gear stick forward into 1st or 3rd it seems to be ok - crunchy but ok. First thing in the morning they're all ok - all crunchy but ok - but after about 5 minutes driving, first reverse gear becomes difficult and then 2nd and 4th gears become difficult. When I haven't driven for a while then it becomes easier once again. Have checked gear oil level. Does anyone have any inkling as to what that might be?
    Thanks,
    Buddahman.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

What sort of milage is on it? Ever had the clutch changed before?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mikecb

Thanks for the reply,
    I've had the car 2 years - bought it second hand - never had the clutch changed but I don't have any problems with power or speed and because of that I didn't consider the clutch?
    I was thinking something in the gear box.
    Is it a symptom of clutch failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

it could be clutch, BUT first worth check linkage from gearstick to gearbox, could be link went loose or off.
    Usually , if clutch worn, it slips, and when you driving, you could notice that revs rising, but car barely move.

Can you switch gears when engine off ? try turn ignition on but not start car, shift in gears and reverse , if you can switch it easy, and reverse light comes up , than could be clutch gone, if still struglin, than linkage. If linkage is good, than gearbox gone.

Gearbox reconditioning would cost around 350-400 euro id say .... plus labor - gearbox off, than on. if taking gearbox off, clutch usually has to be changed also .

just my two cents.

Advertisement