Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Family, unemployed, First Time renters, Rent allowance, advice please.

Options
  • 23-06-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Basically, I'm in need of some filling in the blanks as such.

Facts first though,

My partner, 6 week old daughter and myself are looking to move out, we are both in houses that are too cramped for Our new addition and we need to make a move sooner rather than later. As were both unemployed, its next to impossible to afford a new place on social welfare payments, and there just isn't the space in either family houses at the minute, which already is causing a bit of stress on our relationships with own families.

We are currently on the housing list & wondering what do we do from here? we have the forms to apply for Rent allowance but have heard we can get help with a deposit, we just don't know where to start on either, also this is our first ever property to rent together, I personally have only rented whilst working abroad, but have no official document or receipts for this (landlord was also my employer, rent was taken directly from CASH wages)

Were also in Kildare, i read something about maximum rates of 750, but don't really understand it.

Anyway's to cut this short, can anyone tell us what we can do next, step by step? any help or experience would be so greatly appreciated. Even tips about how to go about getting first property while unemployed would be a great help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't have direct experience with it but here is the citizens information page on it:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

From what I know, from reading this board, you are ready to get a place. The max limits are listed on the citizens info page I just linked to. In general, I think that is the maximum your total rent can be. Of that amount, you'll have to pay a small contribution (probably from some of the other payments you get).

I have seen threads where people mentioned getting assistance with a deposit. From what I gather, you'd be best to go into your CWO, explain your situation and ask for help with the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 derekohara

How did it all work out in the end? Was there any hassle for the landlord who accepted the rent allowence and what exactly did they have to do? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ckeogh

derekohara wrote: »
    How did it all work out in the end? Was there any hassle for the landlord who accepted you? cheers

Well at the minute we are still looking, it's all been a bit hectic lately, but i will post an update when we get somewhere sorted with the details, hopefully that won't be much longer.

Advertisement