Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Ripoff (Total Recall Comparison - 1990 vs 2012)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, it is a remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

zom wrote: »
    Next classic ripp on the horizon (Colin Farrell included)

Total Ripoff (Total Recall Comparison - 1990 vs 2012)

That's not all:
    Check out "Titanic" and "A Night To Remember"
    • Ship's maiden voyage
    • Biggest ship in the world
    • Sunk by iceberg
    • Band playing at to the end
    • Not enough lifeboats
    • CHARACTERS even the same (Molly Brown, the captain etc)
    • The ship even HAD THE SAME NAME!!!!!!

Shocking

(And, FYI, the original short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" only bore a tiny resemblance to the Arnie version. Just from the trailer it seems like this may have a bit more in common with the original story)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Purely because Bryan Cranston is in it though.... :D I'm betting that it's going in a different direction going by the trailer though. Given the fact most people know the ending....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Well, it is a remake.

Well - I know that we are run out of fresh movie ideas, just wonder how much time it gonna take to get next version? With cheaper and cheaper computer effects it will soon be remakes of most of big movies every year!!

zom wrote: »
    Well - I know that we are run out of fresh movie ideas, just wonder how much time it gonna take to get next version? With cheaper and cheaper computer effects it will soon be remakes of most of big movies every year!!

A quick look over the films released so far this year and those upcoming shows that originality is a long way from dead. Remakes are as old as the hills, they've been around since the dawn of cinema and many of them have been superior to the original film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I love the original but the trailer for this is class. I love big budget Sci-Fi movies and this has a great cast. Kurt Wimmer (screenplay) has a pretty good track record and Len Wiseman is a good action director.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oooh, I didn't realise Jessica Biel is in it......... nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think the trailer looks poor,the cgi is dreadful and the film looks almost exactly like the 1990 film ,which was class.

Its supposedly more tightly based on the original short story but the trailer looks nothing like the short story, it looks like a carbon copy of the original film.
    I will stick to the original.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

This won't be on Mars will it ?

I think the trailer looks poor,the cgi is dreadful and the film looks almost exactly like the 1990 film ,which was class.

Never judge a films CGI based on it's trailer, often it's not finished and tehre are numerous instances of trailers for visually awe inspiring films having less than impress CGI in the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

jcf wrote: »
    This won't be on Mars will it ?

Nope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Meh, the first just took the grander sci-fi ideas of Philip K. Dick and applied them to a sleazy, instantly disposable Arnie vehicle anyway.

I'm only partially trolling with the above statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭PBroderick

It will still make millions. The great unwashed will pack the cinemas for this crapola.

The first film was bad enough, ffs.

Amazes me that Farrell would happily sign on for this sh*te. How much money does one person need?

Why wouldn't he be a bit more selective in the films he does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

PBroderick wrote: »
    The first film is bloody brilliant ,its a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A quick look over the films released so far this year and those upcoming shows that originality is a long way from dead. Remakes are as old as the hills, they've been around since the dawn of cinema and many of them have been superior to the original film.

That maybe true but Hollywood seems to have devised a formula for it. A remake/reboot isnt bad when there is a genuinely good/original vision for how it such be done, obvious mainstream example is Nolan's Batman. You'd like the reasons for remakes/reboots to be more genuine than an excuse to exploit fans of a particular franchise which what it seems to have become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It will still make millions. The great unwashed will pack the cinemas for this crapola.

Amazes me that Farrell would happily sign on for this sh*te. How much money does one person need?

its not out yet so you cant call it ****e, he already did minority report which was another 'philip k dick' based movie

its not out yet so you cant call it ****e, he already did minority report which was another 'philip k dick' based movie

Yes, and was a sh*te film.

Farrell is a millionaire over and over. The only thing left to achieve is a body of outstanding work, yet he chooses this puerile nonsense over and over again.....Miami Vice, S.W.A.T and now this excrement.

Why?

Why not get involved in decent films rather than this sh*t? Is money more important to him than being in good films?

Zardoz wrote: »
    The first film is bloody brilliant ,its a classic.

You really need to see more films if you consider Total Recall a "classic". It's excrement of the worst degree.....an ITV3 11:45pm showing at best

:rolleyes:

Christ, is this the discerning cinema-going audience we have now? That they consider Total Recall a "classic"?

Total Recall is a classic just like Rambo and Rocky are classics too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Total Recall is a classic just like Rambo and Rocky are classics too

Not doing your argument any favours there :pac:

Also P Broderick: lay off the 'great unwashed' schtick. It's tiring, and not doing your argument any favours either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Meh, the first just took the grander sci-fi ideas of Philip K. Dick and applied them to a sleazy, instantly disposable Arnie vehicle anyway.

I'm only partially trolling with the above statement.

sleazy....no wait...demure...both :pac:

One of the best/hilarious moments of the film. Ahh Total Recall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

We got ourselves a......

:D Troll Alert :D

Also P Broderick: lay off the 'great unwashed' schtick. It's tiring, and not doing your argument any favours either.
    they are definitely classics, just not very highbrow, they still have cultural importance tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The original Total Recall is memorable as being one of the last big-budgeted super violent movies and one that featured primarily models as opposed to CGI for exterior shots.

I also agree it's a classic, not in same vein as smarter cinematic ventures but a great switch-off-the-brain movie, especially when watching it with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Wonder will yer one with the three tit's be in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

:D Reminds me of that scene in "The Grey' where the "wannabe tough" guy keeps mouthing off with the hard man routine until Nesson lobs a burning stick in his eyeball. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The original bears NO similarity to the original short story apart from the "ordinary guy finds he's a spy when memory is implanted" setup. The original is a great slice of ridiculous OTT Verhoven camp. Is it stupid? Completely idiotic! Is it OTT? It's Verhoven, of course it is. What were you expecting from the director of Roocop. Is it fun? It's a brilliant piece of guilty pleasure. Is it a "Classic"? Well, it's a classic example of the big, dumb, ultra violent meat-head action movies of the late 80's- middle 90's. I mean it's got Arnie, Ronnie Cox and Michael Ironside in the one film!!! Do you think Verhoven thought he was making "12 Angry Men"? No. he knew he was making cheese. That was his very intention. Is it a classic? Damn right! Is it a piece of crap movie? Gloriously so!

Obviously pbroderick is trolling with his attitude and is looking for a rise so don't rise to his ill informed wannabe highbrow attitude.

Anyway, don't know how faithful the remake will be to the original but it is possible to be very different while sticking to the same initial premise. Unlike my pbroderick I will reserve my judgement UNTIL I SEE THE MOVIE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Yes, and was a sh*te film.

Farrell is a millionaire over and over. The only thing left to achieve is a body of outstanding work, yet he chooses this puerile nonsense over and over again.....Miami Vice, S.W.A.T and now this excrement.

Why?

Why not get involved in decent films rather than this sh*t? Is money more important to him than being in good films?

I actually enjoyed MV as a Mann fan. I'm sure the opportunity to work with Michael Mann was a factor. I really do not understand your point, you have heard of Michael Mann?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

charlemont wrote: »
    Wonder will yer one with the three tit's be in it.

Came in to post that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Purely because Bryan Cranston is in it though.... :D I'm betting that it's going in a different direction going by the trailer though. Given the fact most people know the ending....
    As long as there is a three jabbed lady in the remake .....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

If the one with 3 tits isn't it in then it isn't a total ripoff.

If she is i hope Kate Beckinsale is her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

PBroderick wrote:

Why not get involved in decent films rather than this sh*t?

You mean like Tigerland, Intermission, In Bruges, The Way Back, The New World, Crazy Heart, Phone Booth and Pride & Glory?

For my money Farrell I think is gonna turn into another John Cusack type, pay the wages with popcorn flicks and pay the artistic desire with the benefits. Once he does a better job than Cusack of late he'll be fine

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

She is actually in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Rocky and First Blood are both highly regarded are they not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He's done some great movies as pointed out by niallon.

Saw him interviewed at one point about this very topic and his answer was very straight-forward (paraphrasing as I can't find exact quote): "I grew up in Dublin in the 80's, my Dad would murder me if I turned down twenty million for a few months work".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

She barely has two.

Christina Hendricks or Kelly Brooke please, if we're going reach for the stars lets jump as high as we can.

And no CGI please, rubber is so much more erotic (I know, i'm asking for the impossible here)

I do love Kate by the way, I just don't think she's right to play "your one with the 3 tits"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed MV as a Mann fan

In my view Miami Vice is pound for pound the worst film ever made.

It could have been brilliant but it's utter drivel...I was looking forward to it and was genuinely shocked at what I saw.

Awful terrible horrendous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm just holding off for a Commando remake. Now that's a Classic Movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A remake of a remake :pac: ...

But I think there is a pick n' mix going on with the new total recall.

- 'we can buy it for you wholesale'... 1966 short story.
    - "Total Recall 80s version" that fell apart before shooting ... meant to star Patrick Swayze.
    - Total Recall ... 1990 (obviously :P)
    - Total Recall 2. Which was eventually turned into Minority Report. Which was another Phillip K. Dick short story.

In the unreleased 80s version. Swayze was meant to play an average guy. An office worker accordingly. Colin Farrell resembles this more than Arnie's beefy construction worker background.

From the trailer it uses alot of Minority Report visuals. Flying cars etc. So it definitely has some sort of source material coming from 'Total Recall 2'.

TinCool wrote: »
    I'm just holding off for a Commando remake. Now that's a Classic Movie.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/fox-confirm-commando-remake

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

How does Total Recall lead to Minority Report again? The pre-cogs are mutants from Mars or something?

How does Total Recall lead to Minority Report again? The pre-cogs are mutants from Mars or something?

Bingo sean! :)

Minority Report and Total Recall were two different stories by Phillip K. Dick. But basically could be set in the same universe. So Hollywood's plans were to turn Minority Report into total recall 2.

The script was created in the late 90s. Arnie himself was in talks to reprise his role. Then it just went into development hell. At one point Jonathan Frakes was even set to direct it.

As you said, the pre'cogs were actually going to be mutants. Quaid this time would be a member of a special police force (which tom cruise's character was) ... but the project fell apart and Minority Report was just made as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The good news - Aul Triple-T*ts is back! ( and she's splendid!) :D
    The bad news - film looks meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Some of the scenes look similar to I, Robot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It just looks so ... boring. Leaves me with a feeling of 'yeah, whatever; and I should care why?'. So very uninspired & cookie-cutter.

But that's Len Wiseman for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Got a minority report vibe aswell

From that trailer I dont see the point of this film other than a money making exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I can definitely see the Minority Report and I Robot comparison, this notion that everything futuristic must have shiny silver and blue lights. Hey look, it's got a blue light, it's from the future!

Pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Am I the only one on here that actually likes the look of the trailer?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Car chases right out of The fifth element too, this latest trailer makes it look very similar to the original tbh, although no sign of mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so far so Minority Report/Fifth Element/Blade Runner, will still go see it, just not expecting much

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement