Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spray paint car in full

• 23-06-2012 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Going to hang onto my 00 Passat for another while now as it only hit 120,000miles this week, its running well so far and well maintained.

However I have a few scratches all over the car that I want to fix and scratches that hand polishing wont remove. Its also absolutely covered in swirl marks which the sun today made me aware off and made me sick. I didnt wash my car by correct procedures when I got it first and its only that last year I have being washing it with the two bucket method. I might get that kestrel polisher that I have heard good reviews about but am I suitable to go and use this myself and get top class results? Probably not you might say. So I would rather get someone who knows what they are doing and has the necessary experience.I will hold onto this car forever. I wont sell it.

So how much am I talking for a full metallic respray and alloys refurb? What am I talking €3000-€4000? Do spray garages offer advice on what should be done to car? Maybe some of the car need not be resprayed, if so, do they offer polishing services to make car look like new?

Car will be mine forever provided I dont crash it so I am prepared to spend money on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Sell it and put the 3-4k towards one in better condition.
    I wouldn't be spending that money unless the car was something a bit special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Neilw wrote: »
    Sell it and put the 3-4k towards one in better condition.
    I wouldn't be spending that money unless the car was something a bit special.

Aye, you'd be mad to pay the money needed for a fully respray.

There are no short cuts with spray painting, labour intensive and a clowns work is easy to spot. You might be pleasantly surprised how happy you'd be with the results of a DA if you have the time to spare though. Unless its a 2.8 4motion I couldn't imagine a plausible rationale for an actual respray, even at that it wouldn't be a decent motoring use of that sort of money.
    Have a chat to the likes of Owen Hodder on Tramore road, even the spray painters won't encourage it I imagine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

2000 passats on carzone are asking €1259-2800 and you are willing to spend €3000-€4000 on a respray on yours.....!!!
    Madness:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i wont jump on the bandwagon of "4k on an auld passat paintjob" but will offer some good advice.

if you do wish to hold onto your car, consider spending 2-300 on a very good professional paint correction as its very unlikey that a respray is actually needed to bring the paint back to its best.

then when a professional has brought you paint back to a damage/ swirl free state and touched up any little scuffs you can buy the buffer kit and maintain it yourself then from here on out.

probably cost you sub 450 to completely transform your existing paintjob and buy the tools to maintain it yourself for many years to come :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

See the problem is there are liitle chips/cracks on d paintwork so I would like to do something to stop it. If I was to do just the front of the car which is the worst part, mirrors, back bumper and refurb alloys, that wouldnt be such a mad idea would it? I could get away with the rest of the car. I think I will get the kestrel DA for removing the swirls myself and have a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

You'll get it wrapped OP, for about €1000, if you want a solution other than spray painting the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bart's bodyshop in Fermoy.
    I asked about a full same color respray on a Toledo. €1500 for same color. €2500 for color change, He does some job though. Polish guy.

http://www.bartsbodyshop.com/

I personally would buy a Kestrel DA though. At the price they are well worth every penny. The same Toledo came up a treat. If it is still not to your liking then go and get it resprayed. Either sell the DA or use it anually to keep the respray looking new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

You need to understand that if the scratches are minor, a respray will not add anything to your asking price. People don't care about body work on a 12 year old car as much as you'd think. Spend the money on a service and getting it 100% mechanically sound; that's what will get you a higher asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dorgasm wrote: »
    You need to understand that if the scratches are minor, a respray will not add anything to your asking price. SOME People don't care about body work on a 12 year old car as much as you'd think. Spend the money on a service and getting it 100% mechanically sound; that's what will get you a higher asking.

F.Y.P
    I for one actually do like to see good condition paintwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Westernman

Unless it was a classic car and/or a complete rebuild I wouldn't spend that much on just a respray thats just trowing money away.

Respraying a car will devalue it because you are covering something up and it is always obvious. Also any car could be crashed anyday so this could be worthless within a short time and insurance will not cover the exttra spend. Just sell it and buy a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Op, it's really not worth it.

It's an old car and. Would drop it in to bangornomics bucket. Which means: if it drives - good, not else matters.

Keep on your 3-4k and drive that passat to the ground. ( just oil change etc ). By the time nct is up and it won't pass, then buy new passat with all savings + initial 4k you had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

vectra wrote: »
    F.Y.P
    I for one actually do like to see good condition paintwork.

Yeah, should have said some alright. I'm like you, car would have to be almost spotless. I only mention it because I helped my friends sell cars and the vast majority of people didn't care about the bodywork. They wouldn't have tried to haggle much more than 100-200 quid if it was bad.

Its impossible to keep paint work good in West Cork between uncut hedges, narrow and poor roads. Both our cars were nearly new when purchased but within the first year looked almost 5 years old from this kind of damage. So now accepted the condition of roads and gave up on wasting time and trying to keep paint work good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

If you have a nice car and you plan on keeping it for a few years, then it makes sense in a 'blokes maths' way to make that car the car you want.

Just like buying things like a Brembo big-brake-kit, it's usually cheaper to change the car for one that has the big brakes as standard. However the car nut in us all feels better about buying and installing such a kit into the existing car.

However worst thing to do is to spend the money and then sell the car a year later. It'll be wasted money/effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Westernman wrote: »
    Respraying a car will devalue it because you are covering something up and it is always obvious.

How would you notice? Some resprays I've seen are so good you would never know it was done.

I would notice it and the car would look different from similar orginial paint work from that year. As I said unless its a total rebuild. A new respray show's up everything from dust to little pieces of hair and you will even start to find all thoes little dints left by stones and key markes which were invisible before. I also assume the windows will not be removed so your tapeing these and maybe the lights which are also a tell tale sign.Then you have the seam or difference between finished outside and inside and the car door pillars. Resprayed cars are especially noticable when wet and gives the impression it was previously crashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

I would notice it and the car would look different from similar orginial paint work from that year. As I said unless its a total rebuild. A new respray show's up everything from dust to little pieces of hair and you will even start to find all thoes little dints left by stones and key markes which were invisible before. I also assume the windows will not be removed so your tapeing these and maybe the lights which are also a tell tale sign.Then you have the seam or difference between finished outside and inside and the car door pillars. Resprayed cars are especially noticable when wet and gives the impression it was previously crashed.

your describing a rough respray.

a professional with the right tools and supplies would easily not let anything you just mentioned happen. the problems you describe are when people do a dodgy job, scrimping out on supplies and conditions are what cause the imperfections, pay for a good job and you will get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Op I'm in a similiar situation as you - 12 year old with all swirls etc. I bought a kestrel but haven't taken it out of the box yet :o, but it should be enough to 'restore' the paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Another +1 for the Kestrel:

12 year old MR2...paint almost like new...very slow process though!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056601197

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I got my 15 year old Jag painted last year. Sure it's not worth spending that sort of money on, but to me it was like receiving a brand new car. Hence my argument that it's worth doing if your heart says so. Brain says to not to be so daft. I wish the brain would shut up sometimes, damn useless sponge.

th_IMG_0174.jpg th_293932_10150270548633509_660493508_7884083_2633850_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

franksm wrote: »
    I got my 15 year old Jag painted last year. Sure it's not worth spending that sort of money on, but to me it was like receiving a brand new car. Hence my argument that it's worth doing if your heart says so. Brain says to not to be so daft. I wish the brain would shut up sometimes, damn useless sponge.

th_IMG_0174.jpg th_293932_10150270548633509_660493508_7884083_2633850_n.jpg

Nice job ;)....prob cost the same as the depreciation of a new 70mpg diesel matchbox :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cars are funny things and people attachment even funnier. If I had a few grand that I could afford to blow on a respray for my 12 year old xantia I would. It's all down to what I can afford. If I won the lotto tonight I'd probably end up spending multiples of that making it concours.

If its just something you view as a way to get you to work and back, then not so much.

..............you will even start to find all thoes little dints left by stones and key markes which were invisible before. ........

... decent bodyshops prep the car to eliminate them, as mentioned you are describing a p1ss poor effort that should be priced accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

depending on where the scratches,stonechips are you could paint only needed parts,like bumper,wings,that would only set you aside grand or so and rest can be restored with buffer and polishers.or go with maguiers buffer and all set on different paint restorers buffers,swirl removers you can even buy a clear coat http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=GTE-C1-50 some good stuff on website but mainly for professional crowd to use.

Advertisement