Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Psycho

• 23-06-2012 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Just finished watching it there.

Very strange film.

Had been meaning to watch it for a long time, heard great things about it, but honestly didn't understand it at all. So much unanswered stuff, open ended stuff and just general lack of explanation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

Had a quick gander online and it appears people seem to think it's amazing because it leaves you feeling so confused!!!! wtf!!! come off out of it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The book makes the film look like a mild mannered episode of CSI. :pac: I read things that I'd prefer to never read but it was an exceptional book still.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Read the book OP

I saw the film first, thought it was great, read the book, was disgusted and blown away at the same time :)

You might have a better understanding after reading it.

Also, watch American Psycho 2, not for anything other then Mila Kunis, oh and the Big Willy Shatner, I am not saying its good, but it is kinda funny :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Ah its brillant,one of my favourites but can I ask you OP,do you like Phil Collins?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I'm on the verge of tears by the time I open this thread since I'm positive it was going to be locked before I got a chance to post. But it isn't and relief washes over me in an awesome wave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

insanity50 wrote: »
    Just finished watching it there.

Very strange film.

Had been meaning to watch it for a long time, heard great things about it, but honestly didn't understand it at all. So much unanswered stuff, open ended stuff and just general lack of explanation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

Had a quick gander online and it appears people seem to think it's amazing because it leaves you feeling so confused!!!! wtf!!! come off out of it!

Come on, Paddy. There are a lot more important problems than that to worry about.

We have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bleachy!? did you say bleachy?!

Not quite blonde, are we? More of a dirty blonde.

"Would you like to hear today's specials?"

"Not if you want to keep your spleen"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Don't just stare at it, eat it.

• Advertisement

Have a holly jolly christmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Let's see Paul Allen's card ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Speaking of psychos there was an interesting item on This American Life (a really, really good podcast) about psychopaths. Apparently the incidence of psychopathy among CEOs is about 4 percent, four times what it is in the population at large. A psychologist called Bob Hare drew up the PCLR (psychopathry check list revised) that can detect psychopaths with remarkable accuracy and is used by forensic psychologist worldwide. An English journalist called Jon Ronson has written a book, “The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry” - well worth a read.

"I have to return some videotapes."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Eggshell white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

*** FEED ME A CAT ***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

insanity50 wrote: »

The only people who say that are those who were into that whole Yale thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Listen kitakyushu, you'll have to excuse me, I have a lunch meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons in 20 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I brought a girl to see that in the cinema at the time, my first ever date, pretty awkward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

OP asks to clarify the ambiguity of the film for him.

Feed him with awesome quotes till he understands.

• Advertisement

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Read the book if you get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Check out Easton Ellis's first book "Less than Zero" too. Very disturbing but it's screaming out for a new adaption (The first was literally one of the worst adaptions I've ever seen, easy know why Easton Ellis wanted nothing to do with it)

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Read the book if you get a chance.

No, I can't take the time off work

I read it because I want to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Do you know how bad you smell? You reek of ****! Do you know that?

WatchWolf wrote: »
    I read it because I want to fit in.

Get a god damn job WatchWolf!

Do you know how bad you smell? You reek of ****! Do you know that?

Keep talking to me like that, you'll draw back a stump

Keno 92 wrote: »
    OP asks to clarify the ambiguity of the film for him.

Feed him with awesome quotes till he understands.

To be fair I did tell him to read the book!

There is an idea of a Kryogen; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »

It is very cool, krudler. But that's nothing. Look at this.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It is very cool, krudler. But that's nothing. Look at this.

Great, great song. A personal favourite

Great, great song. A personal favourite

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Paddy?

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Paddy?

You listen to Whitney Houston? You own a Whitney Houston CD?

Liam O wrote: »
    Get a god damn job WatchWolf!

I do have a job. I'm into murder and executions, mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Talking animals were the topic of this morning’s Patty Winters Show. An octopus was floating in a makeshift aquarium with a microphone attached to one of its tentacles and it kept asking - or so its “trainer,” who is positive that mollusks have vocal cords, assured us - for “cheese.”

I watched, vaguely transfixed, until I started to sob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm on the verge of tears by the time I arrive at the American Psycho thread on Boards.ie, since I'm positive they won't have any decent quotes. But they do, and relief washes over me in an awesome wave.

There is a moment of sheer panic when I realize that Andy Carroll's account is in bold lettering ... and is obviously more expensive than mine.

We should've gone to After Hours, I could've gotten us a thread

We should've gone to After Hours, I could've gotten us a thread

Honestly paddy, nobody goes there anymore. Plus they don't have a good bathroom to do coke in...

• Advertisement

Honestly paddy, nobody goes there anymore. Plus they don't have a good bathroom to do coke in...

Christ, Liam O, what does that have to do with anything?

You listen to Whitney Houston? You own a Whitney Houston CD?

It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

Christ, Liam O, what does that have to do with anything?

Hey, I'm a child of divorce, gimme a break!

Hey, I'm a child of divorce, gimme a break!

Hmmm, I see they've omitted the pork loin with lime jello.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Bringing up this old thread to show a picture of how American Psycho was advertised on a billboard recently, absolute class!

9337.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How'd a nitwit channel like TV2 get so tasteful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

.........I have to return some video tapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

This one's better:
    Kr4t2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Meh - didn't care for American Psycho too much.

If you want to see something really good, I recommend the new musical 'Oh Africa, Brave Africa' - it was a laugh-riot.

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

• Advertisement
Advertisement