Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Psycho

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Try getting us reservations at Dorsia now, you fúcking stupid bastard!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I'm handling the Fisher account.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=29527

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

There's a spin off to American Psycho about Patrick Bateman's brother Sean Bateman, called Rules of Attraction. That is one screwed up family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Riddle101 wrote: »
    There's a spin off to American Psycho about Patrick Bateman's brother Sean Bateman, called Rules of Attraction. That is one screwed up family.

It's not really a spinoff (I think). It was just written by the same author who has a habit of giving characters he's used in previous books sneaky appearances. That said, I'm not sure I'd like to live in the world created by Bret Easton Ellis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is what I think of this thread:

tumblr_lfrth6EtPy1qb7hapo1_500.gif

christian-bale.gif

tumblr_lbh3gmsRVu1qzs3xio1_250.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Dorsia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Seriously, if you enjoyed the movie, read the book. The movie is tame in comparison. Some of the stuff he does in the book would probably get you banned if you typed them here

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

kitakyushu wrote: »
    How'd a nitwit channel like TV2 get so tasteful?

Lucky, I guess

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's not really a spinoff (I think). It was just written by the same author who has a habit of giving characters he's used in previous books sneaky appearances. That said, I'm not sure I'd like to live in the world created by Bret Easton Ellis.

But both Patrick Bateman and Sean Bateman are brothers though, and are in the same universe as each other. I'd consider it a spin off, kind've like how Kevin Smith movies are spin offs of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Serious question - has anyone who read the book years ago tried to revisit it at a later stage?

First read this back in college in the late-ish 90's, watched the film, read pretty much all of Brett Easton-Ellis's books (actually thought 'Glamora' was a better book) etc.

Found a copy of it in the attic lately and was looking forward to a re-read - but found it absolutely impossible to get through. Seemed to have really badly dated imho.......or maybe I'm getting old :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Serious question - has anyone who read the book years ago tried to revisit it at a later stage?

First read this back in college in the late-ish 90's, watched the film, read pretty much all of Brett Easton-Ellis's books (actually thought 'Glamora' was a better book) etc.

Found a copy of it in the attic lately and was looking forward to a re-read - but found it absolutely impossible to get through. Seemed to have really badly dated imho.......or maybe I'm getting old :eek:

I'm afraid the book is... just too black-sounding for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Really badly dated? It's set in boom time Wallstreet during the 80s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Gonna watch the film and read the book back in batemans voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Galvasean wrote: »
    Really badly dated? It's set in boom time Wallstreet during the 80s...

I meant more that the book hasn't aged well from my perspective. What I found to be exciting and cutting edge back in the day was now tedious and tiresome tbh.

Disappointed as I remember really enjoying it the first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Riddle101 wrote: »
    But both Patrick Bateman and Sean Bateman are brothers though, and are in the same universe as each other. I'd consider it a spin off, kind've like how Kevin Smith movies are spin offs of each other.

Rules of Attraction was written before American Psycho though, so if anything American Psycho is a spin-off of Rules of Attraction.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Rules of Attraction was written before American Psycho though, so if anything American Psycho is a spin-off of Rules of Attraction.

I'd accept that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cartman78 wrote: »

First read this back in college in the late-ish 90's, watched the film, read pretty much all of Brett Easton Ellis's books (actually thought 'Glamora' was a better book) etc.

Yep. Read it over the summer again. Quite enjoyed it, if "enjoyed" is the right word. I'd forgotten a lot of it (not the very graphic parts obviously) but some parts of it did raise an eyebrow. I didn't think it had dated at all, it's a very powerful piece of prose; though not for everyone. I've read all of BEE's books more than once, and for me he peaked with American Psycho and Glamorama*.

The movie and the book are very different. The movie for me is a dark comedy - it's laugh out loud in places and I love it, have watched it quite a few times. It's the bones of the novel at best. Went to see it in London the day it came out. About 25% of the audience left either at or before the coat hanger scene.

*was introduced to BEE by my old English teacher in secondary school. He told me to read "Less Than Zero" as he said "you'll like it, and one of the main characters reminds me of you". I did like it, but was more than a little disturbed to hear I reminded him of one of the main characters!=. And no, I never asked him which one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Yep. Read it over the summer again. Quite enjoyed it, if "enjoyed" is the right word. I'd forgotten a lot of it (not the very graphic parts obviously) but some parts of it did raise an eyebrow. I didn't think it had dated at all, it's a very powerful piece of prose; though not for everyone. I've read all of BEE's books more than once, and for me he peaked with American Psycho and Glamorama*.!

for me rules is the best of his books - with the best movie adaptation too!

Loved american psycho (both book and movie) but it is a different kettle of fish from book to movie - as it had to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

That's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.

Advertisement