Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

flyswatter wrote: »
    He's great, however I have the feeling he's a wee bit overrated in the context that he gets a bit too much praise.

maybe, but I do like him a lot

another favourite of mine is Gene Hoglan, he's a metal drummer so probably not to everyone's tastes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

Jimmy Rainsford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Best drummer? I think this is an impossible task. As some have said already, it really is a matter of one's own taste and preferences and memories.

I would include the following in my list:
    Stewart Copeland
    Tre Cool from Green Day
    John Bonham
    Cozy Powell
    Stephen Morris
    John Densmore from The Doors
    Laurence Tolhurst of The Cure on the album "Seventeen Seconds", example "A Forest"
    Rat Scabies? - Yeah. Funnily enough, I wouldn't have thought of him straight away but he is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

Hard to believe no-one has mentioned Mr Starkey yet.

Make of this what you will....

http://youtu.be/VcNyhCXNvQE

Does no-one else think that this drumming is all over the place in a not good way? Out of time in loads of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

John Bonham, John Henry Bonham.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Personally I’m not into flash drummers, or guys that play a million beats a minute, no soul in that. Can’t beat a groove orientated heavy hitter.

Eric Kretz of STP – Always has a lovely recorded sound, very tasteful.
    Sim Cain of Rollins Band – Savage grooves, lots of use on the toms, very tribal.
    Dave Grohl – Meat and potatoes, Songs For The Deaf is a drummers delight. Air drumming has never felt so good.
    Ira Elliot - Nada Surf – Again lovely drum sound, very tasty fills when called for.
    Abe Cunnigham of Deftones - Rocks it hard.
    John Bonham - God

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

none of the drummers mentioned here even hold a candle close to this amazing piece of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Might have better videos to showcase this tub thumping skills ..enjoyed this one ..often thought drummers should nt be stuck in the shadows..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭furiousox

There is no best drummer.
    Bonham set the template for rock drumming though (imo).
    I always enjoy hearing Clem Burke (Blondie) as well and yer man from Slipknot seems to be highly rated by his peers.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Neil Peart - hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Of all time, I should think Gene Krupa.

But the best drummer of today in my opinion is Abe Laborial Jr. He is phenomenal, I've never heard anything like him in my life. Look him up if you don't know who he is. He tours with Paul McCartney and occasionally Eric Clapton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 VisualStats

Johnny Donnelly is the best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I find it hard to believe that I forgot about Mr. Richard Starkey, a.k.a. Ringo Starr!

He was (and presumably still is) an excellent drummer. The thing about him is that he had a very understated way of drumming and did his job without a fuss or any histrionics. It is probably for this reason that Ringo Starr is one of the most underrated drummers in the rockworld. Ringo's highpoint for me was the last Beatles studio album - Abbey Road. His drumming is particularly noticeable in that passage between "Carry that Weight" and "The End" and includes, unusually for him, a drum solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Like with any of these threads I think it would be wise to substitute 'favourite' for 'best' in the title for two reasons: a) one man's trash is another man's treasure; there is simply no accounting for taste, it's too subjective and b) half the thread gets taken up with people posting reason a over and over again ;).

Anyhoo, to that matter at hand. Personally, I prefer a more groove-oriented stickman who can provide an unflappable rhythmic backbone as opposed to those disposed to a more ornamental flair in their playing.

My favourite drummer at the moment would have to be Chris Bear from Grizzly Bear, my God that man has chops. It's a different type of rudimentary really; the beat is so bespoke and tailored to accentuate the other instruments. Here's a cover video just so you can appreciate the nuances of the playing:

For me, any great drummer should understand how his playing is one of the most important contributions to a band's dynamics. This was evidenced perfectly in that Deerhoof video that rcaz posted above and Matt Helders from the Arctic Monkeys is certainly well versed in the trade also:

Reni is teh master of funky drumming, no question. I love the way, and this is gonna sound like a steaming pile of pretentious sank, his beat is so viscous, so tangible; it feels like you can sink into it.

Christopher Thompson from Vampire Weekend is splendid also:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I find it hard to believe that I forgot about Mr. Richard Starkey, a.k.a. Ringo Starr!

He was (and presumably still is) an excellent drummer. The thing about him is that he had a very understated way of drumming and did his job without a fuss or any histrionics. It is probably for this reason that Ringo Starr is one of the most underrated drummers in the rockworld. Ringo's highpoint for me was the last Beatles studio album - Abbey Road. His drumming is particularly noticeable in that passage between "Carry that Weight" and "The End" and includes, unusually for him, a drum solo.

I think Ringo was a very pragmatic drummer. His starting point was different to where most players start from. Songs like A Day in The Life, Here Comes The Sun. Even things like hitting his knees, I think it was I'll Follow The Sun. Absolutely great and full of feeling. As mentioned above, Abe Laboriel Jr then develops those Ringo drum parts.

Has anyone heard the drummer from Cashier No9? Not that well known but he has a lovely feel.

And I love all the jazzy stuff of Darren Jessee on the first two Ben Folds Five albums.

Alan White on Wonderwall / Half a world away. Brushes or rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Alan White had to deal with NG lowering the drum sound on Oasis albums. He's spoken of his frustration at this. He's a powerful drummer live whilst uninhibited.

Is there to be anything said for Keith Moon? He was original anyway and played the drums as a lead instrument. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

4 pages on and nobody has mentioned Jeff Porcaro of Toto. Rosanna being his finest work of art :)

220px-Jeff_Porcaro_Toto_Fahrenheit_World_Tour_1986.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,268 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

How about the gorilla on the Cadbury's add?

He was pretty cool! Pure Joy

• Advertisement

My kinda drummer.

http://youtu.be/7Ui3kVL4Oqc

Alan White had to deal with NG lowering the drum sound on Oasis albums. He's spoken of his frustration at this. He's a powerful drummer live whilst uninhibited.

Is there to be anything said for Keith Moon? He was original anyway and played the drums as a lead instrument. :pac:

Indeed...as interesting as this thread is, its futile in its pursuit.

Over the past 4 decades the same names of session/pro drummers keep on popping up in this sorta conversation, which is hellishly tedious. But yeah Moon...he didnt give a ****, his head just went right in there...

http://youtu.be/NBendsEKJCY

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Travis Barker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Dave Grohl
    Travis Barker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Does no-one else think that this drumming is all over the place in a not good way? Out of time in loads of places.

Yeah, it's not great. I love the Black Keys, but I don't think he's a very good drummer. Here, for example, the drumming in Gold on the Ceiling is really bad. Out of time and jarring.

Yeah, it's not great. I love the Black Keys, but I don't think he's a very good drummer. Here, for example, the drumming in Gold on the Ceiling is really bad. Out of time and jarring.

Absolutley...a great example too, to those in pursuit of excellence, or suceess, or whatever it is drives originally minded musicians nowadays...stick with what you have, work on your own sound, accept your own weaknesses and make them a good thing...these guys have been together for years, and total respect to them to what they have achieved...technically he's not very good..yet within the context, he's the best drummer there is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Some of favourite drummers (and i agree that should be the title of the thread) mentioned so far - Steve Gadd, Vinnie Coliauta, Neil Peart (my second favourite drummer ever!), Jeff Pocaro (much preferred his work with Steely Dan though), Gavin Harrison (one of the best modern drummers imo), Gene Hoglan (everything that guy touches is solid gold).

Other names i'd like to add - Robert Wyatt of Soft Machine, Tony Williams (take your pick of the amount of folk he's played with!), Lenny White (Return to Forever, Jaco Pastorious), Tomas Haake (Meshuggah), Joe Morello (a legend), Peter Erskine (likewise), Gary Husband.

I'll post videos of 3 of my favourite drummers who are probably less well known than the above -

Sean Reinert (Cynic, Portal, Death, Aeon Spoke, Gordian Knot, Aghora and a few more i can't think of!)

Steve Flynn (Atheist, Gnostic). Ah, that intro!

Hannes Grossman (Obscura, Blotted Science, Necrophagist). Obscura are hands down my favourite band to have emerged in the last 6 years or so, and it's partially down to this guy!

Phew! There's way more, but id on't have the time right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Surprised to see danny carey not getting a mention. Inventive style, technically flawless and instantly recognisable.

**edit: when i say "surprised not to see him get a mention", i mean as one of people's favourites rather than the best drummer. Its all subjective at the end of the day and different people will place greater importance on different elements of drumming.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was going to edit Danny Carey in my post earlier, fantastic drummer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Advertisement