Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Animal, he's gave them sticks a hard life! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT_YS8KhXYM&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Billy Cobham should be mentioned, only drummer to unseat Buddy Rich as worlds best drummer for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

flyswatter wrote: »
    Billy Cobham should be mentioned, only drummer to unseat Buddy Rich as worlds best drummer for a while.

Agree, his work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra and solo stuff is epic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

TRAVIS BARKER

Agree, his work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra and solo stuff is epic stuff.

Rejoice.

• Advertisement

I also love the fact that Cobham's 'Spectrum' record has those few references to Snoopy too!

titan18 wrote: »
    All time - Bonham
    Now - Mike Portnoy

Portnoy is a great drummer, but i only got into him because of his blatant Neil Peart worship!

I also love the fact that Cobham's 'Spectrum' record has those few references to Snoopy too!
    Hadn't noticed, how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I really dig Mac McNeilly from The Jesus Lizard, powerful and creative.

Jim White too, from the Dirty Three, who's got a really free and expressive manner of playing. He tends to show up on awesome records by people like Smog, Nina Nastasia and Will Oldham.

guitarzero wrote: »
    TRAVIS BARKER

Are you satirizing that whole youtube Travis Barker thing?

I think he's a very good drummer it's just a load of Barker fanboys go on Tony Williams and Terry Bozzio (just two examples) videos and say things like "Travis Barker would destroy this asshole!" and it just gets a rise out of people. In turn people give Barker a bad time.

You don't see Tré Cool getting such a rough time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Matt Helders

flyswatter wrote: »
    Hadn't noticed, how so?

Snoopy's Search and Red Baron (who was Snoopy's arch nemesis if i remember correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Stewart Copeland

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Anyone watching the Olympic ceremony tonight, watch out for abe laborial jr. He drums for Paul McCartney.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone watching the Olympic ceremony tonight, watch out for abe laborial jr. He drums for Paul McCartney.

Decent enough, I saw him play with Clapton at Malahide. That sound tonight at Olympic Park did nobody justice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Cool, was he any good wi Clapton?
    Saw him 4 times with McCartney. I think he's superb. I love his solo in 'the end'. Better than ringo!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

John Bonham of course, but some serious admiration for Stephen Morris of Joy Division and Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Danny Carey. The guy from Slipknot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Bonzo
    Billy Cobham
    Danny Carey
    Jim Black
    Dave Grohl
    Mitch Mitchell

All for different reasons, some technical and some for their contribution to music overall...legends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Travis Barker Out Of Blink-182

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Stewart Copeland and Budgie from Siouxsie and the Banshees

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Ringo. Of course.

But also:
    Mitch Mitchell
    Bill Bruford
    Dave Abbruzzese
    Jimmy Chamberlain
    John Densmore
    Reni

John Bonham wasn't really a great drummer, he just had a good sound.

Anyone who says Travis Barker is just not really any good at forming opinions.

And I presume we're just talking rock drummers, as there's any number of jazz drummers you could choose from.

John Bonham wasn't really a great drummer, he just had a good sound.
    Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

brian downy for TL... or darren jesse from ben folds five

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭furiousox

John Bonham wasn't really a great drummer, he just had a good sound

Banned

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Banned

I mean he was alright yeah? A few good heavy beats... smashed those cymbals pretty hard... but he didn't really evolve as a drummer. His sound on the first album is the same as on the last. And sometimes his heavy handed approach didn't really suit the song in question. It was more about "look at me - the famous drummer" rather than doing what served the song. Unlike someone like Ringo - who only ever drummed to serve the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I mean he was alright yeah? A few good heavy beats... smashed those cymbals pretty hard... but he didn't really evolve as a drummer. His sound on the first album is the same as on the last. And sometimes his heavy handed approach didn't really suit the song in question. It was more about "look at me - the famous drummer" rather than doing what served the song. Unlike someone like Ringo - who only ever drummed to serve the song.
    Listen to Fool in the rain for evolving as a drummer?
    Never hit his cymbals hard, he had fantastic technique.
    His sound has been sampled thousands of times.
    When the levee breaks is the greatest drum sound of all time.
    His heavy handed approach? Have you listened to much Zeppelin?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Listen to Fool in the rain for evolving as a drummer?
    Never hit his cymbals hard, he had fantastic technique.
    His sound has been sampled thousands of times.
    When the levee breaks is the greatest drum sound of all time.
    His heavy handed approach? Have you listened to much Zeppelin?

I've listened to ALL Zeppelin - from 1 all way through to In Through The Out Door, Coda, etc.

You got it right - his SOUND has been sampled... Levee Breaks has a great SOUND... I mentioned that he had a great sound... that wasn't in question.

By heavy handed, I mean the power he hit the skins with. Its perfect for stuff like Misty Mountain Hop, but does it suit something like Tangerine? Or The Rain Song?

Can we talk about Ringo now? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I've listened to ALL Zeppelin - from 1 all way through to In Through The Out Door, Coda, etc.

You got it right - his SOUND has been sampled... Levee Breaks has a great SOUND... I mentioned that he had a great sound... that wasn't in question.

By heavy handed, I mean the power he hit the skins with. Its perfect for stuff like Misty Mountain Hop, but does it suit something like Tangerine? Or The Rain Song?

Can we talk about Ringo now? :-)

He hit the drums hard, but with proper technique. His arms weren’t flailing around like drummers today, more refined. He let the drums sing. The playing on Tangerine is very gentle. Can't remember how The Rain Song goes. Four Sticks is another beautiful rendition.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    He hit the drums hard, but with proper technique. His arms weren’t flailing around like drummers today, more refined. He let the drums sing. The playing on Tangerine is very gentle. Can't remember how The Rain Song goes. Four Sticks is another beautiful rendition.

You don't know the Rain Song?!? For shame. One of the best Zeppelin songs.

Advertisement