Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Funny how you mention Chamberlain and Abbruzzese in your list when both are influenced by Bonham.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Ringo's son Zak, saw him with The Who, amazing drummer in the spirit of Moonie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

flyswatter wrote: »
    Funny how you mention Chamberlain and Abbruzzese in your list when both are influenced by Bonham.

I don't think that matters much? I personally love Bonham and would have him in my list, but I think you can like drummers whether they were influenced by him or not.

I don't really hear it tbh, those other two were very fast, busy drummers, whereas Bonham was certainly slower and not as flashy.

I like Abbruzzese and Chamberlain too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I've just seen Dodgy play in Hyde Park and their drummer, Matthew Priest, was wonderful. He really had a touch of Keith Moon about him with the constant kick drum, sparing use of hats (I know Moon used none) and brilliant fills. A great vocalist too.

A real top notch performer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 LONE WOLFF

I thought it was Brian Downey myself. His drumming on Chinatown gives me goosebumps.
    John Bonham very close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,693 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Jaki Liebezeit from German group Can can hold a pretty steady beat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

LONE WOLFF wrote: »
    I thought it was Brian Downey myself. His drumming on Chinatown gives me goosebumps.
    You're right about Downey, extremely underated and seems a very down to earth guy. Makes drumming look very easy. To me, that's what makes up a great drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

I think Abe Laborial Jr. (in Paul McCartney's backing band) is an absolute beast! :D

My initial instinct would be to say Ringo Starr is the best drummer ever (because the beatles are my favourite band) but he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles... extremely lucky to be in the band at all...

Best drummer in the world imo would probably be Keith Moon... OR CHARLIE WATTS!!! AAAAAHHH I DON'T KNOW!!!

It also depends on their drumming style aswell like... Keith Moon was just mad altogether, unreal like... Then Charlie Watts has a kind of more reserved, sophisticated way of playing...

Fvck I forgot Jim Keltner... ahhh jaysus... he played with everyone... literally, EVERYONE!!! Dylan, Elvis, Travelling Wilburys, John Lennon, Simon and Garfunkel, Crosby Stills Nash and Young... and plenty more besides!!! :D

I can't decide who's the best drummer ever... I think I'll just stick to listening to music instead of trying to analyse it... :P :)

I think Abe Laborial Jr. (in Paul McCartney's backing band) is an absolute beast! :D

My initial instinct would be to say Ringo Starr is the best drummer ever (because the beatles are my favourite band) but he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles... extremely lucky to be in the band at all...

Best drummer in the world imo would probably be Keith Moon... OR CHARLIE WATTS!!! AAAAAHHH I DON'T KNOW!!!

It also depends on their drumming style aswell like... Keith Moon was just mad altogether, unreal like... Then Charlie Watts has a kind of more reserved, sophisticated way of playing...

Fvck I forgot Jim Keltner... ahhh jaysus... he played with everyone... literally, EVERYONE!!! Dylan, Elvis, Travelling Wilburys, John Lennon, Simon and Garfunkel, Crosby Stills Nash and Young... and plenty more besides!!! :D

I can't decide who's the best drummer ever... I think I'll just stick to listening to music instead of trying to analyse it... :P :)

joey the drummer from queens of the stoneage, is an actual beast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    LONE WOLFF wrote: »
    You're right about Downey, extremely underated and seems a very down to earth guy. Makes drumming look very easy. To me, that's what makes up a great drummer.
    another vote here for Brian Downey his double bass on the song bad reputation is well worth checking out. He was also incredibly tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

One minute you say he was the best, next minute you say he was lucky to be in the band?!?

That's nonsense btw. The Beatles sought out Ringo after they ditched Pete Best, as he was "the best drummer in Liverpool". He had to decide to join them!! At that point, they were lucky to have him! This attitude, of him being "lucky", has arisen over the years as they other three were such strong writers and singers. Drummers drum, that's what they do; they aren't expected to write and sing! And would you say that George Harrison was a virtuoso on the guitar? He wasn't. Some of his early playing is embarrassing.

Ringo was as good a drummer as Harrison was a guitar player. We're not talking Jimmy Page here.

And have you ever heard Lennon drum? Awful! And McCartney's drumming is stiffer than a flag pole. Listen to Dear Prudence or Back in the USSR or any of the solo stuff he did and you'll hear that.

Keith Moon? Ugh. Can't stand that guy.

One minute you say he was the best, next minute you say he was lucky to be in the band?!?

No, I said my initial instinct would be to say Ringo Starr was the best because the Beatles are by far my favourite band. Meaning I often just take it for granted that they were all the best in all their fields.
    And would you say that George Harrison was a virtuoso on the guitar? He wasn't. Some of his early playing is embarrassing.
    Well he definitely wasn't the best lead guitarist ever. But I wouldn't go so far as to say some of his early stuff was embarrassing... I Saw her Standing There, is about as early as you can go, track 1 on Please Please Me. The solo in that is very good and the licks and stuff throughout the song make it. Also, you can't forget that he was 19 when it was written/recorded. Also I think that the solo in All My Loving, off with the Beatles, is very good and it's interesting the way he plays it. Fair enough these are some of the high points of his early Beatles career, but I would definitely disagree with someone saying that any of it was embarrassing.
    Also, this thing about Ringo not being the best drummer in the band is just an old saying, it's obviously just b0llocks. It's because John and Paul managed to do the Ballad of John and Yoko by themselves and nobody noticed anything wrong with the drumming... I think Ringo was a nice steady drummer, nothing flashy, just kept a good beat which is what you want in a drummer. I still think the likes of Charlie Watts are better than him, even though it's hard to compare them because of it being a different type of music. Abe Laborial Jr. is definitely better than him, you can easily compare them because he's playing all the Beatles ones. (Yes, I know there's a whole different argument there about sound technology etc.)

I think this is one of Ringo's greatest triumphs... Barely anybody seems to agree with me though. I just love the drums on this song.

we'll never get to the bottom of who's best! So drummers we admire here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

106 replies and nobody has yet mentioned Carter Beauford?!?

this disappoints me greatly..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Was just about to, seems to be a very efficient drummer, no flailing arms and minimum body movement. ;)

To completely contrast this I'll mention Jim White, he's my favourite. I've seen him play with three different acts Dirty Three, NIck Cave and Smog. The latter two times I didn't know he'd be playing but quickly recognised him from his distinct style, not his face. The sticks are like an extension of his body:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

No, I said my initial instinct would be to say Ringo Starr was the best because the Beatles are by far my favourite band. Meaning I often just take it for granted that they were all the best in all their fields.
    And would you say that George Harrison was a virtuoso on the guitar? He wasn't. Some of his early playing is embarrassing.
    Well he definitely wasn't the best lead guitarist ever. But I wouldn't go so far as to say some of his early stuff was embarrassing... I Saw her Standing There, is about as early as you can go, track 1 on Please Please Me. The solo in that is very good and the licks and stuff throughout the song make it. Also, you can't forget that he was 19 when it was written/recorded. Also I think that the solo in All My Loving, off with the Beatles, is very good and it's interesting the way he plays it. Fair enough these are some of the high points of his early Beatles career, but I would definitely disagree with someone saying that any of it was embarrassing.
    Also, this thing about Ringo not being the best drummer in the band is just an old saying, it's obviously just b0llocks. It's because John and Paul managed to do the Ballad of John and Yoko by themselves and nobody noticed anything wrong with the drumming... I think Ringo was a nice steady drummer, nothing flashy, just kept a good beat which is what you want in a drummer. I still think the likes of Charlie Watts are better than him, even though it's hard to compare them because of it being a different type of music. Abe Laborial Jr. is definitely better than him, you can easily compare them because he's playing all the Beatles ones. (Yes, I know there's a whole different argument there about sound technology etc.)

I think this is one of Ringo's greatest triumphs... Barely anybody seems to agree with me though. I just love the drums on this song.

I was listening to Let It Be this morning and the drumming on I Me Mine is just amazing. All the fills on the toms in the verses.

I suppose none of the Beatles were great musicians at all until some time just before Rubber Soul.

I'd have to say Paul McCartney is my favourite bassist and songwriter of all time but all he was until 1964/1965 was a boyband member.

One reason Ringo has not been given the credit he deserves as a drummer is that his solo career did not amount to much.

Abe Laboriel is definitely a more technically proficient drummer than Ringo but when he's playing things like the last verse of Let It Be or the drum solo from The End, although he embellishes it, it was Ringo who created the feel of it.

I was listening to Let It Be this morning and the drumming on I Me Mine is just amazing. All the fills on the toms in the verses.

I suppose none of the Beatles were great musicians at all until some time just before Rubber Soul.

I'd have to say Paul McCartney is my favourite bassist and songwriter of all time but all he was until 1964/1965 was a boyband member.

One reason Ringo has not been given the credit he deserves as a drummer is that his solo career did not amount to much.

Abe Laboriel is definitely a more technically proficient drummer than Ringo but when he's playing things like the last verse of Let It Be or the drum solo from The End, although he embellishes it, it was Ringo who created the feel of it.

Ya the real amazing music started around Rubber Soul when they realised they wouldn't have to reproduce much of the songs live any more, even though it was 1966, after Revolver, that they stopped touring, only 2 songs from Rubber Soul were ever performed live, none from Revolver. Rubber Soul and Revolver are my 2 favourite albums, Revolver mainly though. In the early days it was all about the image and stuff (not dissing their early stuff, it's all epic) and that's the case with any boyband nowadays, it's one thing that is still the same. But when Rubber Soul and Revolver came out, people knew they meant business... A sitar on a pop song, wtf, who else would think of it like...

Paul is definitely also my favourite bassist... Rain is the best bass song for him, it's unreal like.... And the drums aswell like, jaysus, I can't believe I forgot about this earlier, the drums on this are unbelievable!!!

You know you don't really have a great solo career when you are doing sh¡te like "I wanna be Santa Clause" and Thomas the Tank. Which I loved as a young fella by the way!!! :D

I Feel Fine is one song that I have never been able to play on the drums... Bass, Guitar, riffs, solos everything are easy, the drums I just can't get... Even looking at him there, it's a strange kind of rhythm he has going like... or maybe I'm just telling myself that coz I can't play it... :pac:

Abe Laborial does embellish some things I agree, but one thing that kinda annoyed me was the end of the solo in The End, when I saw macca in the RDS in 2010. (I presume he did it for the whole tour) I know it was only something small, but it was one thing that I thought should have been left the way it was... Other things are great after he changes them around though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

johnROSS wrote: »

Hon the Downey! He (and this song!) is the reason I ever got interested in drums to begin with. Best Irish drummer by a mile. He's up there.

Also, I loooove Carter Beauford. He's there beasting it out on the drums, doing things with one arm that I couldn't do with 7, and smiling as though it just tickles :P Buddy Rich of course, and you have your Neil Pearts and your John Bonhams... Keith Moon too I guess!

Oh, not really the best ever for me, but honourable mentions... I love the style of Ben Johnston from Biffy Clyro (half of the time he's singing too, which I can't nearly do). Matt Helders is absolutely solid. Travis Barker, despite what people say, is a very good drummer. And I somehow forgot Dave Abbruzzese. Matt Cameron is fine, but Dave was deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just thinking about it Sean Kinney from AIC is another one of my personal faves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

And what about Phil Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Roger Taylor

John Bonham

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'll have to add another honourable mention to John Stanier from Battles, if anyone knows them... The man is rock solid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Getronicle

Chad Smith is definitely up there, especially when he plays live. He may not sound like he does much but he does it effortlessly. Doesn't repeat beats on the most recent RHCP stuff which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just listening to latter day Who tonight and I've got to throw Zak into the mix, Ringo's son?? Or do you believe the rumours about Moonie and Maureen. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 EoinGoal

Echo from The Bunnymen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 noodles36

A couple of top Drummers ,,

"Neil peart from Rush ,"

"Jeff Porcaro from Toto ,"

"Dave Weckl ," solo

If you dont know any of the about there worth looking up on youtue :-)

Advertisement