Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

As a non-muso I care not for technical proficiancy but the one and probably only drummer I've always taken more notice of is Jimmy Chamberlain. I don't know why he merits this over all the other great ones but there is something a bit special about his sound.

John Bonham wasn't really a great drummer, he just had a good sound.

But that's all that counts. As soon as someone starts getting obsessed by flawless technique that's when they disappear into an endless arsehole of paradiddles, slapping and finger-tapping from which they're unlikely to recover. For them, the music has died...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    But that's all that counts. As soon as someone starts getting obsessed by flawless technique that's when they dissapear into an endless arsehole of paradiddles, slapping and finger-tapping from which they're unlikely to recover. For them, the music has died...

Then its the producer who gets the credit? In this case Jimmy Page?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Neal Peart still improving and still learning! What a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

No, it’s down to the drummer. Glyn John & Page played a part in the overall sound. Every drummer hits differently. You could recreate the exact same setting, kit, mics etc. But it won’t sound like him. Do you play drums out of interest?

• Advertisement

Yes, people involved in the recording of music always deserve a fair bit credit - whether good or bad - but not all of it. And besides, didn't Led Zep sound pretty good live?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

rednik wrote: »
    does that mean that steven adler actually has 15million?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

does that mean that steven adler actually has 15million?

I doubt it, I would imagine his dealer has it all.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

John Bonham wasn't really a great drummer, he just had a good sound.

And how do you think you get a sound that good, with the technology available at the time? By being a ****ing great drummer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

He makes this look so effortless, like he's not even trying :eek:

Gotta love Marco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

9 pages and none of you have mentioned Mick Fleetwood.

He would eat ALL of the previous drummers combined and still have room for dessert.

Mad ba$tard is Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

keith moon of the who.

not the best but he did drop dynamite into toilets:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

Rick Buckler anyone? anyone? no?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Congo_Dub

Nine pages later..... And nobody has mentioned Carter Beaufort of Dave Mathews Band???? There are of course the obvious greats like Steve Gadd, Chester Thomson, Fleetwood, Copeland. But for me its an easy answer for an all round talented drummer. Carter has it all, the speed, the technique, the rythm, and the way he's able to lay down a funky reggae beat in one song and hammer out something like "trippin billies" or "two step" straight after! And im not even a huge fan of DMB. I think Brian Downey is extremely under-rated also! He had some serious sound, and in every track too. Never a dull beat put down in a Lizzy track

Hon the Downey! He (and this song!) is the reason I ever got interested in drums to begin with. Best Irish drummer by a mile. He's up there.

Also, I loooove Carter Beauford. He's there beasting it out on the drums, doing things with one arm that I couldn't do with 7, and smiling as though it just tickles :P Buddy Rich of course, and you have your Neil Pearts and your John Bonhams... Keith Moon too I guess!

Congo_Dub wrote: »
    Nine pages later..... And nobody has mentioned Carter Beaufort of Dave Mathews Band???? There are of course the obvious greats like Steve Gadd, Chester Thomson, Fleetwood, Copeland. But for me its an easy answer for an all round talented drummer. Carter has it all, the speed, the technique, the rythm, and the way he's able to lay down a funky reggae beat in one song and hammer out something like "trippin billies" or "two step" straight after! And im not even a huge fan of DMB. I think Brian Downey is extremely under-rated also! He had some serious sound, and in every track too. Never a dull beat put down in a Lizzy track

o_0

Fyfe Ewing has to be one of this islands greatest and influential Drummers.

Has there been any female drummers mentioned so far?

Emmanuelle Caplette, she would blow away many of the names mentioned in this thread in terms of raw skill.

He's so skilled and musical, I love this guy so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GYov0EdyQ

Love that drum outtake from the last Zep album, showcases what Bonzo was all about.

EDIT: Matt Cameron from Soundgarden/Pearl Jam is also an amazing technical drummer. One of the best in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement