Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc (Hons) in Information Technology / Diploma in IT DCU

Options
  • 23-06-2012 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was thinkin of doing this degree through distance learning with DCU, I was just wondering if anyone had done this and what did they think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CorkRebell

I've just done the first year of the course. I didn't know what to expect going into it but it's basically the same content as the full time course so if you're working full time as well doing all 4 modules can be a bit too much. You can do fewer modules however but the course takes longer. There is a mix of face to face(saturdays) and online tutorials (weekday evenings). I'm at the other end of the country so it was difficult to make it to the face to face tutorials in DCU. Also there were fewer tutorials than I thought there would be so you are on your own for most of the course unless you can form a local study group. You would need to factor that into your decision. There is a module book and online resources which are used for study but you would need to do a fair bit of independent research and work as the course materials and tutorials are a bit lacking and don't cover all of what you need to know to complete the assignments and exam. There are 3 assignments for each module and that is for continuous assessment and goes towards your final score each year. If you are familiar with IT and can work independently then the course is fine. I found the learning curve with the mathematics module (management science) very steep compared to the other modules but then again no pain no gain. The biggest downside was I felt at a disadvantage not being able to make it to the face to face meetings in Dublin. That being said I have learned loads in the last year and i'm on my way to a degree in IT. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

thanks,was also looking at this course and the above is helpfull.as i would be limited in getting to the face to face tutorials as well

anyone know what are the total fees for the course ? per module, exams fees etc

It was around €825 per module last year including the module book and exam fee but I think that is increasing slightly this year. I think this year the module book will be an optional additional expense. You can download as PDF instead. It is handy having the printed book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Hi,
    I've been considering this for a year or two now.Think i'm finally going to take the plunge and sign up for it this year. There is also a new course launched this year. It's a Bsc in Management of IT and information systems, as opposed to the longer running Bsc in IT. Any idea what the main differences are, which one is best? Considering I don't currently work in IT, but do work in a management position in another industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ITer

Hello,
    I've just been accepted onto the course via Springboard. Delighted and considering doing 4 modules this year. Mainly I'd like to get the Dip done in 2 years rather than 3. Am I crazy?

• Advertisement

If you are able to work on the Diploma full time then 2 years should be fine. If you are studying part-time then 3 years is probably a better goal.

ITer wrote: »
    Hello,
    I've just been accepted onto the course via Springboard. Delighted and considering doing 4 modules this year. Mainly I'd like to get the Dip done in 2 years rather than 3. Am I crazy?

I'm able to work on it pretty much full time as things are now, however if I can pick up a job this may change.
    I did a minor level 7 course few years ago with 6 modules across 1 academic year and whilst tough it was just about do-able. So, I'm using that as a guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Hi,
    I've been considering this for a year or two now.Think i'm finally going to take the plunge and sign up for it this year. There is also a new course launched this year. It's a Bsc in Management of IT and information systems, as opposed to the longer running Bsc in IT. Any idea what the main differences are, which one is best? Considering I don't currently work in IT, but do work in a management position in another industry.

Main difference is just a module:

IT

210718.jpg

IT Management

210719.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fruitcow

I've read some comments on this thread regarding this degree.

Anyone going to the open night on Thursday?
    I can't make it myself but am wondering when I should start to hear more about applying for the modules I'd like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Does anyone have any idea of what type of career you can get from this? Is it a pure it course, software development, programming or what? Does it go into languages like java?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

gufc21 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of what type of career you can get from this? Is it a pure it course, software development, programming or what? Does it go into languages like java?

i just finished the degree course this year. with absolute certainty i can say that you will get no practical application or experience on this course. i've kept a copy of all my assignments which can give you a very good indication of what would be required on the degree modules. if you want, send me a pm and i'll pass them on to you. you will be amazed at just how irrelevant most of this course is to the i.t. industry

(in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zzahorec

d4v1d wrote: »
    i just finished the degree course this year. with absolute certainty i can say that you will get no practical application or experience on this course. i've kept a copy of all my assignments which can give you a very good indication of what would be required on the degree modules. if you want, send me a pm and i'll pass them on to you. you will be amazed at just how irrelevant most of this course is to the i.t. industry

(in my opinion)

so David, you think that this course is waste of time, or it is recognised in industry, and there is a chance to get a job with degree or diploma?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

zzahorec wrote: »
    so David, you think that this course is waste of time, or it is recognised in industry, and there is a chance to get a job with degree or diploma?

good question. i think anyone that has some third level qualifications will have a definite advantage in getting a job over someone that doesn't. so when an interviewer see's diploma/degree in i.t. and dcu it's going to look good. so it's not a waste of time from this point of view

but on the other hand, once you get a job and you need to start working you'll be expected to draw upon your knowledge learned in college or through other work experience. if you don't have any previous work experience and are just looking for this course to provide you with the skills to get started into a career in i.t. then in my opinion it is a waste of time.

the course is more of a generalized business/psychology course with a nod in the direction to technical skills in the way of microsoft access.

i think it will help you get a job, but it won't help you do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zzahorec

Thanks for your reply D4v1d.
    still don't know is this for me?
    as someone who is 35, not working in IT, and doesn't have a 3rd level qualification, my options are very limited here.
    all other colleges are doing only evening courses, not online (except OU)
    and with my job( working shifts) it would be very hard do finish even one year course...
    so i think i will try my luck here and hope that IT job market in 4-5 years is still in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

I wonder can anyone help me with a query on this course.

I was just informed that I have a place on the Diploma in IT course with DCU. I applied back in the summer but it seems my application went missing after it was downloaded so I'm a late started and feeling very confused.

My main question is do I have to do all 4 modules this year? It says I can do a maximum of 4 but it doesn't say anything about a minimum. I don't want to sign up for 4 and then realise I could have done 2 or 3, if that makes sense. I can't see anywhere (and I've searched) where it states the minimum amount of modules.

Thanks,
    Deb

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Are you a paying or a springboard student?
    As a paying student you can do up to 4 or as little as 1, but springboard students have to do 3.
    I was unemployed last year and done 3, this year I am back in work and can only afford to do one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I know this thread is a couple of months old. I'm looking to go straight in the Degree modules as I have level 6 and 7 qualifications. I'm wondering if anyone of you know the total cost of the course, as I want to pursue the level 8 BSc Honours in Information Technology as a part time course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Itzy
    If your looking for a part time degree course I would highly recommend the Computing System Degree in University of Ulster (Jordanstown) one day a week(Wed) 13.15 -18.15pm. Reasonable fees too €1200 per year, I'm in year one at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ercaeuph

Just found this thread while searching for comments about the DCU Oscail Diploma/Degree in IT
    I will have completed the Diploma stage in May. I have to agree with previous comments on how relevant the course content is to future employers. I dont work in IT and as far as i can see all advertised IT jobs are looking for skills which this course does not provide. At the moment i'm searching for another distance learning course to complete the degree. For the first two years i was very motivated to work hard but the thoughts of all those years of hard work not producing a job is a bit of a worry and finding it difficult to keep motivated to even finish out the diploma stage, although i'm sure i will manage.
    Is there anyone on this forum who has completed this course/familiar with the course content and in an IT job? I would be very interested to hear your views.

ercaeuph wrote: »
    I dont work in IT and as far as i can see all advertised IT jobs are looking for skills which this course does not provide.

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this point, what kind of skills are you seeing advertised that are not covered?
    As far as i know its the same content that full time students study.
    I find with IT courses that regardless how encompassing it is, it is on the job experience that will give you the edge.
    I know PHP, HTML, SQL etc but until i use them in a working environment they may as well me theory, if you know what i mean.

Hi ajc100,
    Thanks for reply. Regarding the full time students course, the only one in DCU i see is Computer Applications, which seems like an excellent course. That covers a huge amout of material we dont even touch. Mainly programing skills. I know there is a small amount covered in Oscail but i think it really needed to be extended into extra modules. There is only one full programming module out of the entire 14 modules in this degree. This is mainly the skills the employers i spoke to said was lacking. I think this particular Oscail degree is only relevant to someone who has been working in IT for a number of years and probably quiet experienced already and working towards a management position.

Hi ercaeuph,

I have to agree with you. I done 3 modules last year computing, management science and communications and can see them being useful.
    But this year i am doing only one, human sciences and can not for the life of me see where this is going to benefit me in the jobs market.
    I have other programming certification and wanted the degree to supplement it but am finding this year tougher than last even though my work load should be lighter!
    How many year did you study?

Doing 3 modules this year again. I can see Human Science 1 being useful in that HCI is important. But dont see the point of 3 HS modules.
    What programming certs. have you got or where did you do them?
    Are you working in IT already? and if so can you see anyone getting an IT job from this degree with no IT background?I'm genuinely worried that all this time and money will produce nothing if not in IT already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Hi Ercaeuph & ajc100

I’m in the first year of this course and have the exact same worry. The course isn’t all bad, the maths is challenging which I think is good, tutors are very helpful. The biggest problem is the HS modules, way too many and on top of that the assignments are huge compared to the others, for example C1 assignments take 1-2 weeks, the HS take 3-4 weeks with all the reading that has to be done. Now I understand HS has some relevancy but it should not be taking up 50-60% of study time. Out of the 9 assignments i had this year one was programming(php) which is a little disappointing. I’m on the springboard program and I think it should be removed because from what i gather this will not improve my chances of gaining employment.

I agree with you about the Oscail staff. The tutors are excellent. The overall course content is the problem. A bit more programming is essential i think. What can be dropped from the couse to allow this is the question. HS modules do contain some usefull stuff but is it essential? Programming is essential. It would be nice to be able to have a choice of modules so if you needed more programming then choose this option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

ercaeuph wrote: »
    I agree with you about the Oscail staff. The tutors are excellent. The overall course content is the problem. A bit more programming is essential i think. What can be dropped from the couse to allow this is the question. HS modules do contain some usefull stuff but is it essential? Programming is essential. It would be nice to be able to have a choice of modules so if you needed more programming then choose this option.

I definitely think some of the HS should be dropped, haven’t done CT yet so can’t comment on that but it looks interesting. The biggest problem for me is that because of the workload of the HS assignments, I don’t have time to learn the more employable skills i.e programming, outside of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ccclef

d4v1d wrote: »

(in my opinion)

HI D4v1d,

I was reading your post (from ages ago) on the Diploma in IT with DCU and saw that you offered some of the coursework/assignments as an indicator of what is to come.

I know it's a long shot but I'm thinking of doing it this year and can't decide where to go. Do you happen to have any of this info still?

Thanks a mill :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement