Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving with Learner Permit without Full Licence driver beside me?

• 23-06-2012 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I'm 17 and just getting insured on Tuesday.

If I drive on my own without a full licence driver beside me and I am pulled over by the garda, what would they do? Could you tell me what they probably will do (e.g. let me off with a warning, tell my parents, etc.) and what they can do (e.g get taken off the road, lose licence, increased premium, criminal record).

I don't really plan on doing this but I know that mum and dad might want the usual milk and butter in the mornings and find that they are all gone so they'll send me to the shop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially points + €1000 fine.

And confined to your room for the weekend for being bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Firstly to admit I drive on my learners permit - however given the crack down I've pretty much stopped. At 17 I assume you haven't been driving long. I wouldn't recommend even doing a bread run. Your insurance is there for when you are accompanied not for you to drive on your own. It's unlikely but if you were involved in an accident and found to be at fault - you may find your insurance company coming after you to recover what they paid out and any relevant fees.

Consider also; are you going to drive with L plates up basically broadcasting that you are a 17 year old with no license or are you going to leave them down and risk getting done for that as well?

Get someone with a full license to sit with you - get a few lessons and put in for your test now and sit in in 3 months. You've managed 17 years 3 more months won't kill you.

That said, as I admitted above, this is a pretty hypocritical post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

look at it this way .... it would show your parents you are responsible and mature if you tell them you cant goto the shop unaccompanied.

you have to choose to knowingly break the law or not.

Personally I think you should not get into a bad habit - if you are just starting out its best to do it properly, .....it could be a trip to the shop now, but in a few weeks/months it could be drop me into town or collect me after I goto the pub ....all of which will put YOU at risk of being put before the courts...you will be responsible for your own actions, you choose to break the law or not.

Ps. would the shop really require a drive ...can you walk to the shop - what did you do before you got your licence/car ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Marquis de carabas

The way the law works if you drive on a learners permit and you have no full licensed driver with you then you don't have a licence at all. That's what you'll be brought before the court with.

It's very simple. would you have driven a car before you got your permit? Im guessing no.

While a lot of guards might let you away with it, a lot now days won't. Your only starting out. Keep your head down, get your full licence and don't do anything that could get you a driving ban or make you uninsurable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What happened to the bread and milk run BEFORE you got the permit? Would you have had to walk or would your parents have had to get themselves organised to buy them the night before??

Seems to me like you're looking for an excuse to drive unaccompanied and lining up excuses ready for the Gards when/if you're stopped.

Look - just obey the law. Get your lessons, practice with a licenced driver beside you and take your test as soon as you're ready. When you pass, then you can drive around unaccompanied all you want!

Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 dandaman2764

Ahhh **** :L well im convinced not to do it nw so and thats a gud thing i guess :P thanks for replyin

Advertisement