Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Definition of World Class

• 23-06-2012 5:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

As the thread title suggests, what are the parameters that you would use to describe a player as world class.

I was listening to the BBC the other day and they had journalists on who nonchalantly suggested that Joe Hart was probably around the third best keeper in the world and would soon be the best. They seriously talked like this as if it was a given and an obvious opinion.

Now, i don't even think Hart is the best keeper in his own league, never mind being in the top three in the world.

Is Joe Hart world class? I think he's really good, but the likes of Tim Howard, Pepe Reina, Petr Cech, Tim Krul, Michel Worm etc are all as good if not better. You could realistically argue either way

It seems to be that because he's English, they lazily describe him as world class.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

roflbot_6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

monkey9 wrote: »
    what are the parameters that you would use to describe a player as world class.

A player who could play at the highest level anywhere in the world in a manner which would be described as class! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It's not the case but I think it should be the best player in the world in that given position. That would mean that there should only be 11 world class players in the world. Subs could be included I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It gets thrown around far too easily these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's a stupid non-defined term that lazy people use to say someone's really really good.

I don't agree with any definition of it but I gather people use it to mean 'would get in any team'.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good topic. While we're here, let us also more clearly define:

Legend
    Great
    Immense
    Wonderkid
    Good
    Decent
    Average
    ****e
    Rubbish
    Hopeless
    Puffball
    Spoofer
    Overrated
    Underrated
    Top class
    Top, top player
    Superb
    Magnificent
    Tidy
    Magical
    Solid

Ok... go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

'A player that at some stage of their career would have made a World 11 team.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

World class was the match between Shels and Shams in Tolka the other night.

I was drenched. My team lost. One or two Shams fans gave me dog's abuse for volunteering to stand there in a fluorescent jacket.

Absolutely world class atmosphere and game of football, though.

EDIT: Deduction: there were 22 world class players on the pitch (except Ian Ryan.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Good topic. While we're here, let us also more clearly define:

Legend
    Great
    Immense
    Wonderkid
    Good
    Decent
    Average
    ****e
    Rubbish
    Hopeless
    Puffball
    Spoofer
    Overrated
    Underrated
    Top class
    Top, top player
    Superb
    Magnificent
    Tidy
    Magical
    Solid

Ok... go.

Ask the RTE panel.

• Advertisement

Gary Breen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

World class = getting his place on a World 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

gosplan wrote: »
    It's a stupid non-defined term that lazy people use to say someone's really really good.

I don't agree with any definition of it but I gather people use it to mean 'would get in any team'.

World class posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

World class = getting his place on a World 11.

Disagree here - Schweinsteiger, Messi, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Ozil are all unquestionably World-Class whatever spin you put on the defnition and you'd not get all of them in one XI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

G.K. wrote: »
    Disagree here - Schweinsteiger, Messi, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Ozil are all unquestionably World-Class whatever spin you put on the defnition and you'd not get all of them in one XI.

Nonsense! You haven't even tried...

GK: Schweinsteiger

LB: Van Persie
    CB: Rooney
    CB: Neymar
    RB: Ozil

RM. Busquets
    CM: Pirlo
    CM: Xavi
    LM: Iniesta

CF:Ronaldo
    CF: Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Top 10 in their position in the world. That's how I'd define it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Very easy definition of world class: when sky sports news stop using your club/country and position to introduce you in stories.

E.g.

"News just reaching us that Republic of Ireland striker Robbie Keane...." - not world class.

"News just reaching us that Lionel Messi..." - world class.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd define it by anywhere from the Top 3-5 players in their position.

For example, at CB - Hummels, Thiago Silva and Kompany are world class CB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's all about the ability to track back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I would say a player who could play in any team in the world and consistently put in 8/9 out of 10 performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I saw this on the USTA's website: "A world class ranking outside the top 1000 in the ATP or WTA in the last five years"
    https://www.usta.com/content/dam/usta/pdfs/10013_experience_player_ntrp_guidelines.pdf

So US Tennis considers people ranked outside of the top 1000 as world class. The set of world-class soccer players would be bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Robbie Keane WAS world class.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, De Gea, Salah, Buffon would be examples of world class for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I think we can now safely say Joe Hart is definitely world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

764dak wrote: »
    I saw this on the USTA's website: "A world class ranking outside the top 1000 in the ATP or WTA in the last five years"
    https://www.usta.com/content/dam/usta/pdfs/10013_experience_player_ntrp_guidelines.pdf

So US Tennis considers people ranked outside of the top 1000 as world class. The set of world-class soccer players would be bigger.

I think you are taking that out of context, deliberately or otherwise

The term World Class seems to be used in that as a category rather than a subjective opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A player who could get on the first team of most top teams in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

a player who is a top top top player is world class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

A player who could get on the first team of most top teams in the world.

Not enough. They need to be able to pull through in major games repeatedly. I'd class Messi, Ronaldo, Kante, even the likes the of Bale, who you'd bank on to come on and win you a massive game; eg: the CL final last year, as world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just noticed this is from 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

it completely subjective just as 'legend' is

I set a pretty high bar so very few players a world class in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A world class player to me is one who would be able to play in any top side in world football and not look out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

For me it would be top level performances over a period of time who could then be relied upon to be top class in the really important games

Last season I'd have hesitated to call Salah and Van Dijk world class, it was the first time they were at the levels they were at, but considering they're doing it again this season then I'd call them world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

For me it would be top level performances over a period of time who could then be relied upon to be top class in the really important games

Last season I'd have hesitated to call Salah and Van Dijk world class, it was the first time they were at the levels they were at, but considering they're doing it again this season then I'd call them world class

Hazard is hardly too consistent and id call him world class. In the pl:
    Ddg pogba
    Salah vvd robertson
    Hazard kante
    Ozil lacazette
    Kane aldeweireld
    De bruyne, agero david silva sane sterling laporte

Ddg pogba
    Salah vvd robertson
    Hazard kante
    Ozil lacazette
    Kane aldeweireld

No player bar maybe Messi shows up in absolutely every game, Hazard apart from one season has been among the best players in the PL since coming to England, on any metric Hazard is world class

My list for world class would be a hell of a lot shorter than yours and the likes of Robertson and Lacazette shouldn't be in any consideration imo

PL wise it would only be De Gea, Kante, Hazard, Salah, VVD, Silva, KDB, Aguero - the rest for me either just aren't or don't do it enough

In any case they're all subjective lists

No player bar maybe Messi shows up in absolutely every game, Hazard apart from one season has been among the best players in the PL since coming to England, on any metric Hazard is world class

My list for world class would be a hell of a lot shorter than yours and the likes of Robertson and Lacazette shouldn't be in any consideration imo

PL wise it would only be De Gea, Kante, Hazard, Salah, VVD, Silva, KDB, Aguero - the rest for me either just aren't or don't do it enough

Lacazette I agree, but Robertson's easily world class. Best LB in the Premier League by a mile and has distinguished himself in the Champions League. What more can be asked of him?

Lacazette I agree, but Robertson's easily world class. Best LB in the Premier League by a mile and has distinguished himself in the Champions League. What more can be asked of him?

For me, it's to do it for longer

He's only established in the Liverpool side a year or so, and didn't have performances close to this level for Hull when he was there

If he keeps it up for the rest of this season and starts it off again the next for a couple months, then I'd start putting him in the world class category but it's too soon for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Ddg pogba
    Salah vvd robertson
    Hazard kante
    Ozil lacazette
    Kane aldeweireld

I wouldn't have quite so many from the PL, but I can see your point with most of them. Except Ozil....wayyyy too inconsistant and it would be handy if he showed up for a big game once in a while.

In my opinion, if you can get into a "dream" 22-man squad, then you're world class. Essentially, if any of the top teams (Madrid, Barca, PSG, City, Utd, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus etc) could have free reign and select 22 players for their squad - then, whoever they pick is "world class". I don't agree with the idea that a world class list needs to be very short, so you have only the likes of Messi and Ronaldo in it - they're at the summit, sure, but there's an elite few more (say, 15-20 players) who are just a step below, yet still miles ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

For me world class is picking the best 11 players on the planet in their positions in whatever formation you want to play, to play against a team of aliens from another planet to see who would win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Robertson is nowhere near world class for me right now. He's far to fresh.

As another poster said I didn't even consider Salah world class last year as it could have been a one off. If he's so world class were was it the previous years?

For me Salah is going in that direction and it's to do with consistency. Players that do it year in year out.

VVD another that could have been a one season wonder. But is consistent again.

I think Vardy,Mahrez and even Payet are prime examples when people said they are world class because of the season they had.

They're nowhere near that level.

As another poster said I didn't even consider Salah world class last year as it could have been a one off. If he's so world class were was it the previous years?

It was in Serie A with Roma. The idea that Salah was not a quality player before returning to the Premier League is incorrect. Did he score as much as he did in the 17-18 season? No. But the signs were there, similar to Ronaldo who wasn't scoring 42 goals prior to the 07-08 season but that doesn't mean he wasn't a top class player. To say 'where was it in previous seasons' is to assume that world class players are world class from day one to their peak. It doesn't work that way. It's a process. Thierry Henry is another example.

Not sure what freshness has to do with being world class tbh. Consider Mbappe. Is he world class or is he 'too fresh'? If he's world class, when did this happen? In the 17-18 season? Because he wasn't always consistent in that season. He was actually disappointing at the start of 2018 which is why many were calling for Di Maria to start against Madrid over him.

And it's not like Robertson is being judged on one season anyway. He was excellent last season and now as we're nearly into February he's a shoe-in for being the best LB in the Premier League. If you prove yourself in one of the top leagues, as well as the Champions League, then you belong in the discussion.

As for Vardy, Mahrez and Payet, I don't recall anyone ever considering them as the best in their position in the world. That is what is being said about Robertson. I've no doubt most giant clubs in the world would take Robertson at LB right now.

So US Tennis considers people ranked outside of the top 1000 as world class.  The set of world-class soccer players would be bigger.

I think you are taking that out of context, deliberately or otherwise

The term World Class seems to be used in that as a category rather than a subjective opinion.
    That was a guide to this: https://www.usta.com/content/dam/usta/pdfs/10013_experience_player_ntrp_characteristics1 (2).pdf

When you choose who's world-class you're categorizing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ddg pogba
    Salah vvd robertson
    Hazard kante
    Ozil lacazette
    Kane aldeweireld

No love for Aubameyang? His goalscoring record in Germany and England speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Marco Reus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hate the use of the term "wonderkid".

We just had one declare for us, 17yr old Bayern player.

Premier League players are world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Premier League players are world class.
    Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Consistently brilliant. Huge emphasis on "consistent".

Bottom line: Can you rely 90%+ of the time that this player will show up do what they do best?

Roy Keane had the ability to be World Class and was World Class.

Paul Pogba has the ability to be World Class but isn't World Class.

Advertisement