Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toilet Roll, inny or outey??

• 23-06-2012 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

My housemate obviously put a new bog roll on the holder, but with complete disregard for the laws of nature has put in on facing inwards :eek:

Now I've spent the last 2 hours on the pot trying to figure out why anyone would do this, and also slightly concerned about the knock-on effect this might have across the galaxy, and whether or not the Aztecs/Mayans/Nostradamus predicted this downfall of society.

So boardsies, toilet roll, inny or outey?

Where does your roll face? 94 votes

Innie
    0% 0 votes
    Outie
    10% 10 votes
    Don't use a holder
    69% 65 votes
    Atari roll
    20% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Will it only spin one way in your house or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its to early for these crap threads but I do hope you get to the bottom of it :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Freestyle atop the cistern ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who cares, its all either going down the toilet or into the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Lustrum wrote: »
    My housemate obviously put a new bog roll on the holder, but with complete disregard for the laws of nature has put in on facing inwards :eek:

Now I've spent the last 2 hours on the pot trying to figure out why anyone would do this, and also slightly concerned about the knock-on effect this might have across the galaxy, and whether or not the Aztecs/Mayans/Nostradamus predicted this downfall of society.

Two hours on the pot ? the world must have fallen out of your arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

After 2 hours on the pot you must have some ring !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

On the hole, I don't think you'll notice any difference.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's a serious question of dynamic life force versus the dominance of evil spreading its tentacles subtly into the very fabric of mankind.

I doubt very much if she saw it that way and TBH, she won't notice if you put it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I just use socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Self explanatory...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I also feel strongly on this issue OP. Outey of course.

People can be so STUPID. It's amazing that, as a society, we manage to function at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Ooh la-dee-dah! You all have toilet roll holders!

Toilet roll goes on top of the cistern of the jax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

On the cistern or on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

My ex did this. As does a sibling of mine. Annoying.

Apparently it "looks neater" coming down by the wall :rolleyes:

Solution: buy paper with a printed pattern on the outside and show them the error of their ways....

No need to be anal about it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I just drag my ass on the carpet until it's clean. I got the idea from the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread needed a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I hate toilet roll holders, now that I have my own house and am the boss of these things, I don't have a toilet roll holder.

However, if toilet roll holders are to be used, I definitely think the roll should be outward facing.

Inward facing looks completely wrong to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Worst invention ever - how the fluck are ya supposed to pull & tear the paper with one hand:confused:

Freestyle on top of cistern or kicking around the floor FTW!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

xzanti wrote: »
    Freestyle atop the cistern ftw

Ooh, a renegade! I yearn for the day when my life has become so complete that these things don't worry me any more.

If it's on top of the cistern, then you have to use two hands, so how do you browse boards when you're on the pot without a free hand? This is the kind of quantum physics that needs an equation methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

^^ only if the roll is observed can it be on the holder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Who are the 5 barbarians that said they don't have a toilet roll holder?

Outwards of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How you place the toilet roll in the holder says a lot about a person.

I couldn't give a damn if it's innie, outie or just left on the cistern or bath etc makes absolutely no difference. I didn't even realise people took notice or had names for it.

Abi wrote: »

Guilty as charged :)

Fizzlesque wrote: »

But... Whyyyyyy? :(

Well, the first reason is really simple - there was no holder in the bathroom of my house when I bought it.

We never had one in the house I grew up in, the roll was always on the cistern, and I quite liked the stretch required to reach round to get it - toilet-yoga, if you like. In my now-house I have a small table in the bathroom and the toilet roll sits on it. No more toilet yoga for me, unless I'm feeling nostalgic and place it on the cistern. Fun for all the family...

It's so annoyingly fiddly putting a roll on a holder, especially if it's one of those that has bits at the side that have to be pressed inwards to get the holder part to fit into the bit that's stuck to the wall. The simple slide-on ones are grand.

Then there's the 'who used the last of the roll and didn't put a new one in the holder' arguments - they don't exist any more.

At this point, I'd like to add - the whole "toilet seat up or down" argument doesn't exist for me either, primarily because I live alone :D, but also because I close the toilet lid, so everyone who visits or stays with me has to lift one or both contraptions, and close the lid again when they're done. Problem solved, and my cats don't spend time leaving their paw prints inside the toilet bowl.

Lastly, I ask the same question you've asked, but from the other direction. Why do people want the toilet roll on a holder at all? What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I don't have a toilet roll holder. I did have one, but my room mate had a party and it was stolen!!!

So now the toilet roll is on the floor....

Lastly, I ask the same question you've asked, but from the other direction. Why do people want the toilet roll on a holder at all? What's the point?
    It looks better. Everything must have a place. It just looks a little.. uncouth not to have one.

syndeyfife wrote: »

So now the toilet roll is on the floor....
    Oh god.. It gets worse :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Outtie, I have a really bad habit of changing any loo roll I can so that its an outtie.

• Advertisement

It looks better. Everything must have a place. It just looks a little.. uncouth not to

It does have a place. On the little table I have in the bathroom.
    Ginny wrote: »
    Outtie, I have a really bad habit of changing any loo roll I can so that its an outtie.

Hehe, that made me laugh. I have found myself drunkenly changing an innie to an outie at house parties, but only if it's one of those easy to use slide-on holders, not one of the fiddly springy-sided ones. I've laughed at myself wondering why I care so much which way the roll is facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ginny wrote: »

Me too :D.

I love interfering in other people's houses though.

Keeping your loo roll on the floor just doesn't seem hygienic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Always change loo roll so that it's an outie.

When it's attached to the back wall, beside the cistern, it's easier to reach and tear off.

When it's an innie it tends to just spin and too much comes off. Then there's the dilemma of whether you use too much and waste it, or do you re-roll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We live in the northern hemisphere, toilet rolls dispense from the outtie on this side. Don't mess with nature and go against the grain.

Well, the first reason is really simple - there was no holder in the bathroom of my house when I bought it.

We never had one in the house I grew up in, the roll was always on the cistern, and I quite liked the stretch required to reach round to get it - toilet-yoga, if you like. In my now-house I have a small table in the bathroom and the toilet roll sits on it. No more toilet yoga for me, unless I'm feeling nostalgic and place it on the cistern. Fun for all the family...

It's so annoyingly fiddly putting a roll on a holder, especially if it's one of those that has bits at the side that have to be pressed inwards to get the holder part to fit into the bit that's stuck to the wall. The simple slide-on ones are grand.

Then there's the 'who used the last of the roll and didn't put a new one in the holder' arguments - they don't exist any more.

At this point, I'd like to add - the whole "toilet seat up or down" argument doesn't exist for me either, primarily because I live alone :D, but also because I close the toilet lid, so everyone who visits or stays with me has to lift one or both contraptions, and close the lid again when they're done. Problem solved, and my cats don't spend time leaving their paw prints inside the toilet bowl.

Fizzlesque has just proven himself to be one of the great thinkers of our time, up there with the guy who invented the Chunky KitKat Caramel!

An inny toilet roll is just unnatural, there's a myriad of problems that it could cause - the end could be hidden from sight leading you to believe it is some kind of end-less roll, and having you use your hand, or worse just hopping up and walking off sans wipe, you could smash your knuckles off the wall due to the unnecessary proximity of the roll end to said wall, the list goes on...!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Outie wins it for me.
    With the innie configuration your fingers will be brushing the wall every time you reach in to tear off a piece, dirtying it up little by little.
    It's not a good time to be rubbing your hands off anything - there's a reason we wash them afterwards...

• Advertisement

Fizzlesque has just proven himself to be one of the great thinkers of our time, up there with the guy who invented the Chunky KitKat Caramel!

Fizzlesque is a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

On the radiator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

You say the toilet seat up or down argument doesn't exist for you because you close the lid. You live alone so that is the major reason, but you say visitors have to lift one or both contraptions and close the lid again when they're done - but in what way do they have to? Is it a rule of coming to visit? Do you stand guard at the door for when they exit?

So you live alone? With cats? How many cats have you got? Have they all got names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I was considering asking the inny/outy question a few times, but I antisipated the answers.
    But I have another one, how many rolls do you keep in reserve behind the bog or in a handy location, and do you have a minimum no. rolls in storage to avoid the running out and having a bog roll panic attack situation.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    You say the toilet seat up or down argument doesn't exist for you because you close the lid. You live alone so that is the major reason, but you say visitors have to lift one or both contraptions and close the lid again when they're done - but in what way do they have to? Is it a rule of coming to visit? Do you stand guard at the door for when they exit?

So you live alone? With cats? How many cats have you got? Have they all got names?

Phew, lots of questions.

The toilet seat up or down argument always struck me as daft - from both gender's side. I've been closing the lid for years.

I got into the habit of closing the lid completely when I lived in my brother's house for a while, many years ago, as that's what he preferred to do, and I realised it makes sense - the lid is there for a reason.

I ask my guests to close the lid because otherwise the cats get into the toilet bowl. If a guest forgets, I don't block their exit and reprimand them --- it's not a rule of coming to visit, just a request while they are visiting (like some people ask their guests to smoke outside). Some of my friends already do the same in their own houses, so no need to ask them.

Two cats and they have a few names each and another name they share (Bob).

Anything else you'd like to know? :D

• Advertisement

Phew, lots of questions.

The toilet seat up or down argument always struck me as daft - from both gender's side. I've been closing the lid for years.

I got into the habit of closing the lid completely when I lived in my brother's house for a while, many years ago, as that's what he preferred to do, and I realised it makes sense - the lid is there for a reason.

I ask my guests to close the lid because otherwise the cats get into the toilet bowl. If a guest forgets, I don't block their exit and reprimand them --- it's not a rule of coming to visit, just a request while they are visiting (like some people ask their guests to smoke outside). Some of my friends already do the same in their own houses, so no need to ask them.

Two cats and they have a few names each and another name they share (Bob).

Anything else you'd like to know? :D

Just one more - why do your two cats have a few names each, and one that they share? Do they respond to all the names you call them? Oh sorry, that's two.

Fizzlesque is an extremely clever woman.

FYP!

You haven't quite turned me on this lid down all the time thing. I can see the merits in it (especially when you have cats that appear to have a liking for toilet water, I'd hate to taste your tap water if they prefer the jacks!), however, as long as it's kept reasonably clean, I'd be willing to respect everyone's personal preference for seat up, down, or lid closed

I wonder was the guy who invented the Chunky KitKat Caramel a woman then aswell, it's amazing the things that can blow your mind (no dirty jokes thank you!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Hard to beat a nice fresh dock leaf after an al-fresco squat.
    Very soothing and no worries about innies or outies. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Hey OP
    Do you walk back and forth between sliding doors wondering how they know your there? O wonder where all the steps go at the end of an escalator?
    You should try going outside and see how water falls from the sky. The world is full of amazing and interesting things. Try it!

Just one more - why do your two cats have a few names each, and one that they share? Do they respond to all the names you call them? Oh sorry, that's two.

They have a few names each because when I have pets, I prefer to wait till I get to know their personalities a bit before I name them, rather than try to think of a name, I like to see what name evolves. It took me longer than usual to get names for these cats so I gave them interim names when I had to register them at the vets (and the microchip register).

One was called Oscar, the other was Lidl. I was going to call them Lidl and Llaldi (Llaldi being a Scottish word I learned when I lived in Scotland) but I reckoned I'd be forever explaining. Then, when they were a bit older, I realised I'd got them the wrong way round. Oscar turned out to be the girl cat, not the boy cat.

Lidl got stuck up a tree (twice) and I had a fiasco of a time trying to rescue him, so I changed his name to Fiasco.

Oscar can be a bit moody, so called her Moodley. Which then morphed into Moodles. .

They're both black and when they were first with me it took me a while to be able to tell at a glance which one was which, so I called them both Bob. Somehow Bob just became the name I use for them the most, and it's as versatile as an egg - lots and lots of scope for making up additional versions (Bob-lone, Billy Bob-lone, Bobaloon, Bobleski etc etc....too many to mention).

They have no idea they have even one name, never mind many. Cats don't respond to names, the way dogs do. They probably think the sound of the plastic bag their treats come in being rattled is their name, as that's the one thing they respond to without fail :)

Are you sorry you asked? :D

They have a few names each because when I have pets, I prefer to wait till I get to know their personalities a bit before I name them, rather than try to think of a name, I like to see what name evolves. It took me longer than usual to think of names for these cats so I gave them interim names when I had to register them at the vets (and the microchip register).

One was called Oscar, the other was Lidl. I was going to call them Lidl and Llaldi (Llaldi being a Scottish word I learned when I lived in Scotland) but I reckoned I'd be forever explaining. Then, when they were a bit older, I realised I'd got them the wrong way round. Oscar turned out to be the girl cat, not the boy cat.

Lidl got stuck up a tree (twice) and I had a fiasco of a time trying to rescue him, so I changed his name to Fiasco.

Oscar can be a bit moody, so called her Moodley. Which then morphed into Moodles. .

They're both black and when they were first with me it took me a while to be able to tell at a glance which one was which, so I called them both Bob. Somehow Bob just became the name I use for them the most, and it's as versatile as an egg - lots and lots of scope for making up additional versions (Bob-lone, Billy Bob-lone, Bobaloon, Bobleski etc etc....too many to mention).

They have no idea they have even one name, never mind many. Cats don't respond to names, the way dogs do. They probably think the sound of the plastic bag their treats come in being rattled is their name, as that's the one thing they respond to without fail :)

Are you sorry you asked? :D

Not at all, thank you for taking the time to answer in such detail. It's all so understandable now. :)

And sorry for taking this off the central topic.

FYP!

You haven't quite turned me on this lid down all the time thing. I can see the merits in it (especially when you have cats that appear to have a liking for toilet water, I'd hate to taste your tap water if they prefer the jacks!), however, as long as it's kept reasonably clean, I'd be willing to respect everyone's personal preference for seat up, down, or lid closed

I wonder was the guy who invented the Chunky KitKat Caramel a woman then aswell, it's amazing the things that can blow your mind (no dirty jokes thank you!)

You're very kind, Lustrum. :) Thank you, Sir.

The cats don't want to drink the water in the bowl (they prefer the bathoom sink tap) but they do seem to think it's fun to clamber in and around (I'm not too sure what they're trying to do to be honest, whatever it is, it's not allowed) and when a friend stayed in my house while I was away, I got home to a toilet covered in paw prints. She'd forgotten to close the lid.

I've never eaten a Chunky KitKat Caramel, but it sounds tasty.

All dirty jokes have been wiped clean :D

Not at all, thank you for taking the time to answer in such detail. It's all so understandable now. :)

And sorry for taking this off the central topic.

Detailed answering is my curse/strength - I'm never completely sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

As long as it's there OP , that's all that matters !!

Sod the toilet roll question, I am now grossly enthralled by the inner workings of Fizzlesques' mind! She's years ahead of her time, in everything from toilet seats to feline naming techniques. And if there is any wonder as to how water falls from the sky, it is because Fizzlesque says so.

In the spirit of another AH thread, Madam, you have just become my seamus!

• Advertisement
Advertisement